Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ICE vehicle route to the Purcells

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
(Via the Kootenays)
(Purcells are the mountains just before the Canadian Rockies, Kootenays are the mountains at the south of Canadian rockies)

Since I got complaints for commenting on driving to the Alps in an EV, thought I'd add a thread on driving to the Purcells in case anyone else needs to know... snowHead

Off to Nelson for the first leg...
Stopped at Hope for petrol (1.45 per litre), stopped again at Kelowna (1.42 per litre) got to Nelson.
Route via Kelowna is a bit more user friendly than highway 3.
Arrived in Nelson in sort of spring like conditions

After a few days and much snow drove to Golden. Filled up in Nelson (1.45 per litre)
Left Nelson in very wintery conditions. Nearly got wiped out by a truck towing a big trailer that completely lost control on the down ramp whilst we were waiting for the ferry , then drove through snow coming down faster than the plough could plough it. Waited on Rogers pass for an hour for a few semis to get retrieved from a ditch.
Got to Kicking Horse
Had underground parking which was handy since it was about -40C Shocked
Filled up in Golden (1.40-something per l)
Rogers Pass fine, but from Revelstoke to Hope compacted ice all the way - extra special on the Coquihalla where it was semi-ploughed so like ice speed bumps with semis blasting past!
Stopped in Salmon Arm for Petrol as it is about the cheapest in BC from my survey.
Also stopped in Hope on the way back as its not subject to extra metro vancouver taxes.

Got home. All good.

I did notice there were Flo chargers on the Rogers Pass and also on the fairly sparsely populated road between Rock Creek and Kelowna
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did you have winter tyres or chains, and were you wearing a back protector while driving?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stuarth, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Cheers for the info - especially regarding Salmon Arm fuel.

As we'll be driving from Revvy to Kamloops next month and fuel is usually expensive in Revvy, will wait until Salmon Arm Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Orange200,

Did have good winter tires, no chains (Ford says no - not enough clearance).
Did have a back protector in a bag in the back if that counts? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bones,

The fuel price in Revy does seem notably higher, such that we usually plan not to have to fill up there. Everywhere around seems much cheaper. Maybe it's like Squamish that can get away with charging more (Squamish is not subject to extra metro vancouver transit taxes on fuel, but often is still the same price as North Van), or maybe they have a local transit tax?
Kamloops prices seemed not too far off Salmon Arm from my recollection.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Succeeded again in getting to the Kootenays and back. snowHead
My extensive planning meant I stopped for gas at Hope and for a coffee and sandwich at Greenwood (nice coffee shop there)
Filled up in Rossland for the return journey which was about the same price as Vancouver! Shocked and then drove to Hope. Could have made it all the way without stopping but got a coffee and filled up there before heading to North Van because fuel is quite a bit cheaper there, and would have strained the bladder somewhat to go nonstop Madeye-Smiley

Snow was pretty crappy as it was about 50C warmer than my last trip across the province a couple of weeks ago! Sad but made driving a lot easier
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stuarth wrote:
@Bones,

The fuel price in Revy does seem notably higher, such that we usually plan not to have to fill up there. Everywhere around seems much cheaper. Maybe it's like Squamish that can get away with charging more (Squamish is not subject to extra metro vancouver transit taxes on fuel, but often is still the same price as North Van), or maybe they have a local transit tax?
Kamloops prices seemed not too far off Salmon Arm from my recollection.

Agreed and thanks - the plan is to brim it in Alberta, less tax and get through to Salmon Arm Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy