Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere to La Thuile (Blue only?)

Poster: A snowHead
Hello fountains of all ski knowledge,

Is it possible to ski from La Rosiere to La Thuile without taking the red run 'Bouquetin' from Fort?

Assuming not, any advice on what this red run is like? It looks quite steep but is it very narrow? Can it be handled slowly by a developing but nervous intermediate with 4 weeks skiing under her belt?

Then, from Les Suches, can you get back to La Ros using blue only? I cant quite figure out which lifts to take.

Any advice appreicated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Niederau aged 4, there is only one piste there and one way back and although a little steep the run down to the double drag is perfectly doable even for a nervous intermediate it’s not too thin just take your time with plenty of traversing don’t get panicked by those racing to access the great pistes of La Thuille . In my opinion the skiing in La thuille is better than La Rosiere and it’s less busy unless it’s the weekend . If you get a chance download in the cable car to the village as the runs down are steep and have lunch at one of the excellent restaurants in the village they all seem to run taxi vans from the cable car station . It’s a bit of a tradition to go to lunch in La Thuile , well it is for me .
The return is very easy and is all blues .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ps there are plenty of signs for the return you can’t get lost .n
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definatly only possible via the red but it also definitely doable for a 4 week skier; i did it after 3 weeks. It looks steeper than it is. You need to get a bit of speed near the bottom to get up the rise before the lift. The poma is a tough launch but after that just enjoy the view. Wrap up warm before it though as its long and cold.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice.

Is it possible to get back via blue runs only?

Much appreciated.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Niederau aged 4 wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

Much appreciated.

Yes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with all the above. We were in La Thuile in 2019 and skied over into La Rosiere.
The only thing to be aware of is the wind. For much of our week, which was in March, the link was closed due to high winds. You wouldn’t want to get stuck.
Our favourite slope side restaurant in La Thuile was le Petit Skieur at the bottom of the Franco Berthod piste.
Most of the La Thuile bars and restaurants compared favourably with my experience of French ones with one exception, the Roxi which was comparable to French prices.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all, really appreciate the advice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adithorp wrote:
Definatly only possible via the red but it also definitely doable for a 4 week skier; i did it after 3 weeks. It looks steeper than it is. You need to get a bit of speed near the bottom to get up the rise before the lift. The poma is a tough launch but after that just enjoy the view. Wrap up warm before it though as its long and cold.

Take a good book, it’s two lonnnng drag lifts…. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cacciatore wrote:
adithorp wrote:

True, but you don't have to take the second one and instead turn left after the first one and take the blue.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember that long drag and thinking "mustn't fall off, mustn't fall off". Only kidding @Niederau aged 4, you'll be fine. Definitely worth the trip to the La Thuile side. Eh oh!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Might just be us but our kids had never really done drag lifts and they found that long one quite a challenge. Friend's daughter (4 weeks skiing I think) fell off half way up which was a nightmare as we were getting qiute late in the day. Just make sure you have lots of time to get back so you are not panicking about the drag. And as others have said, it is LONG AND COLD so wrap up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You only use the drag going to the Italian side on the way there unless of course you are going home back to La thuille .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, sorry that's what I meant, on journey home to La Thuile in our case
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adithorp wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
adithorp wrote:

True, but you don't have to take the second one and instead turn left after the first one and take the blue.

Indeed, so take a book about half as long as War & Peace if only using the first drag lift… Laughing
snow conditions
Don't make the mistake that some skiers made one Saturday afternoon ...
They skied from la Rosière to la Thuile and stopped for (say) a hot chocolate or three. Unfortunately, they missed the last lift out of la Thuile and they were on transfer to GVA early the next day!
I think the solution was taxi to GVA for an overnight hotel, whilst getting their friends to pack their bags and pay their bar bill!
latest report
@Nemisis, it's about 100m vertical an 2.5km, I'd walk back
snow conditions
trmacc wrote:
Might just be us but our kids had never really done drag lifts and they found that long one quite a challenge. Friend's daughter (4 weeks skiing I think) fell off half way up which was a nightmare as we were getting qiute late in the day. Just make sure you have lots of time to get back so you are not panicking about the drag. And as others have said, it is LONG AND COLD so wrap up.

Thanks for this (and all posts here), it's very useful as we're in La Rosiere in the feb half term.

We have a mixed party, including an adult who's done just one week before and 3 kids. So the two 8-year-olds have done a week and it sounds like the drag and the general distance may be a bit ambitious. Anyone had any experience of very young ones with this route?

There's a 12-year-old but she's in a class who are doing it as a day trip one day anyway.

Thanks!

L
snow conditions
Hi, if you go onto google maps there's actually streetview for the entire run. So you can see exactly what it' like.
latest report
This is it here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.6574767,6.8770166,3a,75y,353.76h,69.7t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNw7oxZl64pk9eAS7NbbRKziFlY5jCRxYoeu9Pm!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNw7oxZl64pk9eAS7NbbRKziFlY5jCRxYoeu9Pm%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi6.705911-ya205.60655-ro2.3452325-fo100!7i5376!8i2688?entry=ttu
snow conditions
Canuck wrote:
This is it here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.6574767,6.8770166,3a,75y,353.76h,69.7t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNw7oxZl64pk9eAS7NbbRKziFlY5jCRxYoeu9Pm!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNw7oxZl64pk9eAS7NbbRKziFlY5jCRxYoeu9Pm%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi6.705911-ya205.60655-ro2.3452325-fo100!7i5376!8i2688?entry=ttu

I'm sure it used to be steeper than that. I don't remember the red bollards either. Have they reconstructed it in recent years?
ski holidays
That's the red run down from Fort, probably the steepest part of the journey. The rest is pretty flat, and of course long t-bars.
snow report
there are no 'T bars', the long drag is a pair of button lifts.
When ours kids first did it, as part of a full day with Evolution2 - a thursday trip to La Thuile for lunch, iirc my son was 6 and a bit and on his 3rd ski hol.
the drags to get to Italy aren't particularly challenging, just long.
The runs back from Petit San Bernardo are mostly flat, one steep drop off the lift station where you need to take some speed unless you really like walking. (the kids had no problem, but my wife was a different matter)
Otherwise the blues back are so flat that when my son was little (7ish) i had to ski behind him to push him against the head wind coming up the pass - that was a pretty extreme day though.
If the weathers right, well worth the trip from either side.
snow conditions
That’s great. Thanks for the info. Possibly the younger girls (8yo) would be better waiting until their third trip. It does sound fun though.
latest report
If you’ve seen any of my recent posts you’ll see I am a very nervous skier - but I had no problems going to/from
La Thuile to Rosiere - the only problem was getting cold on the long drag
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Niederau aged 4 wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

Much appreciated.

Yes.

For the sake of accuracy - No. Both ways involve different short bits of relatively innocuous red runs.
snow report
Canuck wrote:

Really helpful, thank you.
snow report
Approx how long will it take to ski from La Thuile to La Ros villages either way, if you don't hang around?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Ros to La Thuile 1.5 hr La Thuile to La Rosiere 1 hr
snow conditions
@Rob Mackley, thanks, going to Aosta Valley next week and planning a day or two in La Thuile. Was trying to work out can I get to France and back if son does half day in Miniclub at bottom of La Thuile lifts. Looks doable if we can get out early as half day childcare runs from 9am to 1pm.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy