Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Les Arcs 2024

Poster: A snowHead
can second the supermarket stop in Aime - much less daunting then Bourg SuperU and has everything you need.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't gone via Lyon for around 20 years - my normal route is A39 from Dijon and then come off at Amberieu and take the cross-country route to Chambery, via Belley. Several places for fuel without paying motorway prices - I just do a partial fill-up and then top it up fully at Aime (see below). Used to do it in one hit (it helps being in East Kent only 45 minutes from the tunnel) either all day or overnight, but now as I'm getting older I prefer to do an overnight stop.

Have generally used the Ibis Budget as you come off the motorway at Amberieu - very basic but ok just for one night. Tried some alternatives last week: stopped at Chalons-en-Champagne on the way down, leaving further to go on the Saturday, but wasn't intending to ski anyway. On the return journey, I skied until early Saturday afternoon and then headed for the Ibis Budget at Nuits St George just south of Dijon which was rather better on the bathroom front than Amberieu, though no cereal at breakfast! May well use this one more in the future. Several charging points, for those with EVs. Tend to just make some sandwiches for evening meal when doing this, which is probably less of an option with children.

As per Boris above, I stop at the Leclerc at Aime for food and final fill of diesel. The climb from the bottom of the hill at Bourg St M up to Arc 1950 takes about half an hour if the roads are clear.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been doing the trip for around 40+ years, even longer than Boris Toofy Grin Follow his advice! Only new thing I can add is Travel back on a Sunday if you can , its so much easier after a hard weeks skiing with no idiot HGV drivers on the motorways, inevitably the M25 is screwed up when you get back plus they now only have street lights on the junctions. But hey ho Welcome home!
(LGV and HGVs are restricted from travelling in France between 2200 Saturday and 2200 hours on a Sunday)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you - I am keeping note of everything and have Aime bookmarked for supermarket shop

Booked a place in Chambery for the Fri night which can be cancelled before 3pm on Fri. Unfortunately didn't find what I wanted in Albertville but this should work too.

100% will be doing drive back on Sun, plan to ski on Sat then head down to Chambery at the furthest, then do rest of drive to Calais on Sun
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did you look at new ibis styles in Albertville??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stefoy4me, we used that, were you asking about it or suggesting it?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We used to stop at in the UK near the tunnel the night before crossing when the kids were younger - this results in an early start and loss of one hour due to time difference. Now we cross in the evening and stop. Makes more a much more relaxed start (on French time) the next day and hotel cost is pretty much the same.

First night meal - you cannot go wrong with 3 cans of M&S tinned chicken tikka masala. Very tasty, feeds 4 and all you have to do is boil rice. I once did some research into the best canned curry and this came top. For a one off, it fits the bill!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt wrote:
@stefoy4me, we used that, were you asking about it or suggesting it?

suggesting it.

We are booked in to it this coming NY trip.....gets great reviews.......assume you were happy ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very nice hotel. Only advice would be to consider where you're eating. as we had children in the party we wanted to eat early, but everywhere seemed to open at 19:30 or later and by the time we asked to book into the restaurant in the hotel it was full. We ended up with a cheese-on-toast takeaway pizza.

Sandwich shop just next to the roundabout is nice though, we picked up supplies for the journey.

Even after buying skis in Decathlon at Aime and shoppoing / refuelling in BSM, we were in Ste Foy by 1pm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
we intend to only crash that night(fri 27/12) and get up early next day for onwards to SF as it Saturday of NY week 28/12

taking a more leisure tunnel crossing rather than silly o'clock AM to get there in time for a restaurant booking.

will haven eaten before arriving
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
@snowwithkids,

I would recommend the Essentials pass. As it does give you that Sat afternoon ski if required, but also gives you priority access at some of the lifts.

snowHead

A bit of tangent, but I really do not like the idea of "Priority Access" passes. I am sure it will grow in popularity for increased revenue, but it is out of hand at places like Disneyland. The idea that people will be able to bypass queues on the slopes because they have purchased a more expensive lift pass just doesn't feel right. It just acknowledges that the operators know there will be big queues!

I cannot get my head around resorts not having single lines, so you always fill the chairs. I can't recall if it was L3V or Les Arcs which do?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richie456, Les Arcs had signs encouraging you to fill the chairs. I think there used to be a singles line, but isn’t now, probably replaced it with the Essentials line.

While I take your point the Essentials pass is €39 more than basic pass and offers Sat afternoon skiing, La Plagne and discounts on other activities. It’s better value in my view
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

you cannot go wrong with 3 cans of M&S tinned chicken tikka masala

That sounds a great idea, @kettonskimum!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stefoy4me, it was saturday of NY week for us this year en route to Ste Foy, you will have no issues getting to resort Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

While I take your point the Essentials pass is €39 more than basic pass and offers Sat afternoon skiing, La Plagne and discounts on other activities. It’s better value in my view

It depends on when you go. In busy weeks such as New Year I find it good, but at quiet weeks such as in April the priority queues are often abandoned. At which point I find it a waste of money largely because these discounts are not quite as good as they seem. For example, the discount to Mile8 is only avaliable during the day not during the evening when you may actually want to visit. The light show in the Varet cabine store is now free to everyone. I can see some benefit if you plan to use the zip wire and the luge track, but I'm not planning to anyway. I have a season pass so the extra half day is not relevant but if you are going to arrive early or leave early on a Saturday then I can see an advantage.

Looking at the queues I estimate that about 10% of skiers had essentials passes Christmas week.

@Richie456, They had singles lines on some lifts but the were barged over and abused and were replaced by the priority lines. But I can see your point. I think initially they were introduced so that people coming from La Plangne could return quickly to the Vanoise express and have proved popular. They are still largely on linking lifts.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@Richie456, Les Arcs had signs encouraging you to fill the chairs. I think there used to be a singles line, but isn’t now, probably replaced it with the Essentials line.

I am in agreement with you at this point and I would also get the Essentials. The problem is the direction of travel this goes in with priority. When there is a Platinum line for any extra €200 euros to avoid queues meaning everyone else waits…… whilst this might sound fanciful the Disneyland Paris Ultimate Priority Pass to avoid queuing is €190 per DAY in peak season!! Some people will pay a lot to not queue.

Sorry OP, will not hijack thread again! And don’t think it worthy of a new one so I will shut up!
snow conditions
Quote:

the Disneyland Paris Ultimate Priority Pass to avoid queuing is €190 per DAY in peak season!! Some people will pay a lot to not queue

Is that for one person? It is a lot, but if it saves you three hours or so of queueing you don't have to put a ridiculous opportunity cost on your time to justify it.

Personally I would not stand in a queue for an hour to save £50. Though I would consider spending a day at Disneyland Paris if you paid me £150. Then I could sit down and read a book and drink coffee and eat burgers, rather than stand in a queue.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the Disneyland Paris Ultimate Priority Pass to avoid queuing is €190 per DAY in peak season!! Some people will pay a lot to not queue

Is that for one person? It is a lot, but if it saves you three hours or so of queueing you don't have to put a ridiculous opportunity cost on your time to justify it.

Personally I would not stand in a queue for an hour to save £50. Though I would consider spending a day at Disneyland Paris if you paid me £150. Then I could sit down and read a book and drink coffee and eat burgers, rather than stand in a queue.

Yes, per person.
latest report
Very interesting reading.

I'm close to being priced out of a ski holiday each year if I want to do other activities through the summer as well, so I've had a good look at driving/self-catering to try and bring the cost down a bit. For just the two of us, it just wasn't significant enough, maybe £300 vs a lot of extra agro cooking for ourselves rather than catered chalet.

It's certainly not off the table, so I'd be really interested to hear how you get on @snowwithkids and if this type of holiday is worth the savings on the packaged alternative.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
(LGV and HGVs are restricted from travelling in France between 2200 Saturday and 2200 hours on a Sunday)

Thank you. Never knew this, and I have been driving to the Alps in Winter and Spain in the summer for many years!
ski holidays
Quote:

For just the two of us, it just wasn't significant enough, maybe £300

Yes, a lot depends on other things! With two people, obviously the savings aren't as great as they are with a family. 5 of us drove in a comfortable 8 seater van at Christmas - it was all booked fairly late and flights were very expensive. And with 5 of us, we'd have needed to hire a big car. But the cost of an apartment, like the cost of an hotel, varies hugely. And ski passes are expensive however you do it. And depending on what you like, sometimes it's better not to go on holiday at all than make too many compromises!
snow report
Quote:

Did you look at new ibis styles in Albertville??

They didn't have a family room available on the night and cost was much higher for 2 separate. Going to keep an eye in case someone with booking cancels.

@ratkinsonuk, when it was just two of us, we weren't confined to school hols. We would pick a week in term time, take off work and book super last minute package deal with catered chalet. Used to get some bargains but admittedly pre Brexit and Covid. Not sure if they still drop to the same lows. Doing it this way, I think you would be more likely to save by filling up your car with another 1 or 2 people to split the transport with

Thanks again everyone, will continue to report as we plan trip and once we are back!

Having been a similar week 2 years back (one before school hols begin in UK), we found lift queues to be very small. Hoping for the same this year. We wouldn't pay for priority lifts but the draw for Essentials is the Sat ski and other discounts on activities.
latest report
Regarding the Essentials, I had a pretty good dig around and I couldn't see much of an advantage in terms of discounts or freebies.

We'll be staying around the Vanoise, so fast-track onto the Peisey lift in the morning 'might' be useful. Free entry into the Igloo ice sculptures is also handy. The only other positive I could see is entry into the public pool at 1800 - I'm assuming that's what it gives - but the site doesn't really have any details that I can find. We may use that unless there are T&C's.

The restaurant discounts are pretty naff. It's a pitty there isn't the Crystal-style discount card any more. It was a bit like the Taste card, fairly cheap to buy and paid for itself very quickly if eating on the mountain. Would be great if Paradiski brought that back out.
snow report
@ratkinsonuk, the discount for the swimming pool is only available during the day, not in the evening so imho not available for skiers but who else would buy a lift pass. We pay the full price for entry
snow report
@ratkinsonuk, If you're next to Vanoise, the Essential pass also gives you opportunity to visit La Plagne

@johnE, possibly but some people like to take a break during the week.
snow report
Boris wrote:
@ratkinsonuk, If you're next to Vanoise, the Essential pass also gives you opportunity to visit La Plagne

Yeh, pretty much the reason we bought it Boris. Unlikely we won't head over that way at some point. I assume you still get 1 free day on the other side from the local pass anyway?
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@ratkinsonuk, the discount for the swimming pool is only available during the day, not in the evening so imho not available for skiers but who else would buy a lift pass. We pay the full price for entry

Thanks John. If it gives access to the spa section, I could well see the other half taking an afternoon off. I prefer to fill my 'pre dinner' with happy hour in the local bar, but I'm always looking for ways to keep SWMBO happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I believe the discount also applies to the wellness centre.

The classic pass does not give access to la plagne. You have to buy an extension at the lift pass office. I don't know how much it costs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
In the past when our son was young the easy way was to simply drive through the night both ways, Friday night on the way down and Saturday night on the way back. He would sleep the whole way and we'd have 8 days skiing. Now, as we have our own apartment and are retired we take it a bit easier and set off sometime around 4-5 in the morning and get to the apartment about 8 that evening, depending on the M25 and the tunnel. As I like to call in on a friend in Grenoble on the way back we leave after skiing on the Saturday, stay at his place which we leave about 10 the next day, getting home around midnight. Our son, now an adult, still sleeps the whole way.

Of the 40 or 50 journeys we have done we have only stopped overnight twice. Once when we broke down and once to visit Troyes (in the summer). It seemed to make the journey go on for ever and we found it much more tiring. I would certainly find speading the journey over 3 days, your second option, very tiring.

@snowwithkids, Leaving late on Saturday gives you the option of skiing that day. I would reccomend it. Though the Essentials pass does give you an extra 1/2 day I would cost up just buying a classic pass for 6 (or 7 days if you intend skiing on the last Saurday) and a local area pass for the first day. These are not well advertised and are only available in the lift pass office but are cheeper than an extra half day pass for the whole area. Though we have essentials passes we have them for the queue jumping capabilty and in fact rarely go over to La Plagne. Over the Christmas period we skied for 12 days and didn't go across once.

Where are you staying?

Tips:

Podcasts and talking books are IMHO essential.
Have plenty to drink in the car
Have packs of boiled sweets to suck
Have at least 2 drivers and swap every 2 to 3 hours.
Allow more time than you think for the shop. The SuperU in Bourg gets very crowded on Saturdays and you can easily end up queuing at the checkout for 30 minutes (the Intermarche is better, the Aldi less expensive). You need a euro coin for the trolley
Have bags for the shopping.
The roads into the resort will be busy but not as bad as Febuary. If you arrive early they would be fine and almost certainly clear of snow, but I have to mention of the twice I've needed chains on the road to Les Arcs once was in April.

@pam w, The route to Les Arcs skirts Lyon and passes by the airport. We will be driving down that week, though I'm not sure when, probably the Monday and returning early April

Very helpful.

It's our first family ski trip leaving UK early on Easter Monday, planning the tunnel early and have picked Les Carroz and Le Grand Massif as our destination as it seems to have one of the better late March/early April snow records without the extra travelling to the Southern Alps - hoping to get there by 6pm or so with a fair wind. 6 of us packed into an SMax with a roof top box (daughter is an adult bringing her BF).

We've been offered various bits of beginners ski equipment, including skis, helmets etc. Some advice has been you can save a pretty packet if you're driving and take a load of gear with you, others have said you may as well hire a complete set as if you just need say boots, these still end up not being far off hiring the ski pack. 2nd hand ski boots are regularly available on FB. Wondered if any regular ski drivers had any thoughts?
snow report
I wouldn't buy any ski hardware for a first visit. If you can borrow stuff from trusted friends in good nick, all well and good. But you won't have much room with 6 of you. If you're self catering you might save more money (and quite a bit of time and effort lugging shopping) by filling any spaces with carefully-thought out food and household items such as dishwasher tablets. There are other considerations if self-catering too, such as linen.
ski holidays
Quote:

hoping to get there by 6pm or so with a fair wind. 6 of us packed into an SMax with a roof top box (daughter is an adult bringing her BF).

I may have read this incorrectly but is your daughter's boyfriend being transported in the topbox?

Scond hand ski boots may not be a good idea. When buying ski boots most of us spend hours getting them fitted exactly to our feet. Even in the hire shop you will spend some time just finding the best fitting pair. I doubt if a pair bought on the internet would fit very well. Good fitting boots are essential. In my experience hire shops will not rent out boots alone if you have your own skis. Clothing, gloves, goggles etc are perfectly OK
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

hoping to get there by 6pm or so with a fair wind. 6 of us packed into an SMax with a roof top box (daughter is an adult bringing her BF).

I may have read this incorrectly but is your daughter's boyfriend being transported in the topbox?

Scond hand ski boots may not be a good idea. When buying ski boots most of us spend hours getting them fitted exactly to our feet. Even in the hire shop you will spend some time just finding the best fitting pair. I doubt if a pair bought on the internet would fit very well. Good fitting boots are essential. In my experience hire shops will not rent out boots alone if you have your own skis. Clothing, gloves, goggles etc are perfectly OK

Yes, I haven't told him or her yet, but needs must. Very Happy

Thanks for the advice - a friend of mine willing to lend me some equipment said much the same thing, and unless someone can lend us a perfect fitting set of boots with skis and poles, it's not really worth it. I'm still going to try his on, but my plan of saving hire costs with some budget facebook marketplace purchases is probably left as one of my ideas that remains an idea.
snow report
BoldSeagull wrote:
We've been offered various bits of beginners ski equipment, including skis, helmets etc. Some advice has been you can save a pretty packet if you're driving and take a load of gear with you, others have said you may as well hire a complete set as if you just need say boots, these still end up not being far off hiring the ski pack. 2nd hand ski boots are regularly available on FB. Wondered if any regular ski drivers had any thoughts?

Assuming you've done some initial lessons in the UK and decided you really love skiing, I'd buy decent ski boots and helmets for the adults. Getting comfortable boots is pretty critical. Unless you have lots of spare cash, it's generally not worth buying boots for kids as they'll quickly grow out of them.

Unless you're at a point where you're at least comfortable on blues, it probably isn't worth getting your own skis yet. For me, the reason you take your own skis isn't to save money (with carriage costs, there's little difference), but more to find a pair of skis you're comfortable with and can then quickly become more confident because you're not changing your skis every holiday. In order to pick the right skis in the first place, you need a certain amount of experience in what feels right for you. You won't get that until you've been on several holidays.
ski holidays
Quote:

For me, the reason you take your own skis isn't to save money (with carriage costs, there's little difference)

It costs very little extra to carry the skis in the car but as a beginner family you will need to change skis fairly quickly as you progress. hiring skis is much more convenient than constantly selling on and rebuying. This and bearing in mind the car will be full means I would certainly rent.

My last pair of skis (not my current ones as these still have a lot of life left in them and I don't know how long they will last) cost circa £600 and lasted 200 days. So the skis cost £3 per day and still have some use in certain conditions. I have never paid for carriage and do all my own servicing so they are significantly cheeper than renting. But this only applies to an experienced skier who skis a lot. Other poeople have different needs.
snow conditions
Just with another viewpoint..... LOTS of people do perfectly well with hired ski boots, if they have fairly ordinary sort of feet.
snow report
Origen wrote:
Just with another viewpoint..... LOTS of people do perfectly well with hired ski boots, if they have fairly ordinary sort of feet.

Absolutely agree, most people are fine. Although I've also seen people suffer all week in bad fitting boots because they'll just make do, especially when they're new to skiing. If you don't mind the agro, you could probably change your boots every day at a rental shop - I'm sure they wouldn't mind. But we're 'stiff upper lip' Brits, and tend to carry on regardless.
snow conditions
We drove to La Plagne at Easter for the first time last year. The drive was quite enjoyable to be honest and we found it added to the holiday. We took the overnight ferry from Hull on the Thurs, drove all day Fri to Dijon where we stopped overnight at the Ibis Styles - literally just off the motorway. Was a good hotel with a decent restaurant - perfect for an overnight stop.

Next day drive to La Plagne was fine, about 3 hours, got there about 12.30, no traffic or snow up to resort - we were lucky I guess! What we found was that when we got to resort we were already in holiday mode, were as when you fly the stress of the airport and inevitable bad flight times, combined with the transfer etc means your not fully in holiday mode for a day or so after arrival, which has an impact when your only there a week.

We're driving again this Easter, same route but stopping at Beaune this time on way out. Self catering as well so also planning to stop on the Saturday for provisions. There's a big hypermarket just off the motorway at Chambery that I have in mind for a shop and snack break. There's also some big sports shops around there if we end up needing anything, and I think its just over half way from Beaune to resort.

Last year on the way home we stopped in a family room at the Campinale in Reims. That was really nice as well - would recommend. Had the Sat night there, and Sunday until just after lunch. Really nice city and again added a lot to our holiday. This year we are doing Sat in Troyes and have added on a night in Brussels, again just to make it more of a trip and seeing as we're passing! We also have 2 children but they are older so it does make it a bit easier.

We're staying in Arc 1800 & would be interested to hear if anyone has any restaurant recommendations or runs we shouldn't miss Smile
ski holidays
Three hours from Dijon to La Plagne. That's going some. I usually reccon on over 4 hours to Les Arcs. What route did you take?

Troyes is a good town to stop off at on the way. The old town is very scenic and has some good restaurants.

That retail park at Chambery is huge and I beleive has Europe's largest DIY store, but the SuperU in Bourg may be a better choice. Frozen food will stay frozen until you park up at 1800.

Runs not to be missed depend on what sort of skier you are and what you like skiing. For example Robert Blanc is a cracking run if you like blacks and Barmont if you like blues. But it also depends on the conditions. As I will be in Les Arcs from the 24th and Easter week I will report then.
ski holidays
Cheers for the tips on the runs John - will add them to the list. Am a 20+ year boarder so all good.

Could well have been over 4 hours from Dijon to LP be fair - I don't recall it being too bad a journey though. Once we'd got over the stress of checking the weather forecast in the morning before setting off and seeing it was snowing on the route up to the resort. Thankfully it had all but stopped by the time we got there and started the climb.

We just stuck the route in the cars Sat Nav and followed that, with Google maps as a sense check. We ended up going a lot through Belgium and Luxembourg on way down, which I think saved a bit of tolls but the roads weren't the best. A6 onwards from Dijon if I remember right.

Fingers crossed for the conditions. Was amazing in LP at the same time last year. Had dumped loads the week before, then on the last day overnight and for an hour or so in the morning. When it stopped we had some epic snow conditions to enjoy for our last day Smile
ski holidays
thommo wrote:
We're staying in Arc 1800 & would be interested to hear if anyone has any restaurant recommendations or runs we shouldn't miss Smile

Tom, check out this Les Arcs thread. It's a bit long, but is dotted with tips and suggestions.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165718&start=360#5229469
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy