Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

4 full days. Zermatt, 3 Vallees, or both?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

Snowboarder here from the USA, doing my first trip to the alps. I'm flying into Geneva March 19 at 5:15pm and leaving March 24th at 7:05pm.

I'm having a pretty hard time deciding how to plan this trip because on one hand, I want to party and have not just a great but a legendary apres experience. At the same time, I also want to see the Matterhorn and ride into Cervinia for lunch. So my question is, do you think it is feasible to go to Zermatt for 3 nights and two full days of riding), then going over to 3 Vallees for potentially 1.5-1.75 days of riding, then heading back to Geneva for my evening flight home? or is it more worth it to stick to Zermatt? I could also just do a day trip to somewhere closer like Laax or Saas Fee, just for the experience.

Some things to note:
1. I have a hotel booked in Zermatt (refundable) from March 19 to March 22.
2. I also have a room booked in Zermatt for the entire trip (March 19-March 24) that is also refundable.
3. Being American, I'm used to traveling multiple hours to get to different places around the state. Hell, sometimes I drive two hours just to get to work.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@The_Intrepid, welcome to the forum.

To be honest, it sounds totally mad to try to combine Zermatt and 3V in just 4 days (... but then I am not a snowboarder). They are in opposite directions from Geneva, and with only a day or so you would hardly scratch the surface of the 3V.

Laax isn't much better, it would leave you with a very long trip to return to Geneva. But Saas Fee should be feasible.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The_Intrepid wrote:
I want to party and have not just a great but a legendary apres experience.

I have a hotel booked in Zermatt

I've got bad news for you...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
The_Intrepid wrote:

well like I said, it's refundable
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree that it would be mad to try to combine the 2. One resort or the other.
Have you looked at how you will get from Geneva to each resort given your timings?
Also not easy to find less than 7 nights accommodation in the 3 Valleys.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From Geneva go to Verbier for après. You could easily combine with Zermatt 2-3 days in each travelling by train
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@The_Intrepid, not sure I'd ski to Cervinia "for lunch"?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@The_Intrepid, some of you 'mericans are nuts. I play volleyball with one just like you Laughing Laughing

No, you can not combine these two in 4 days skiing!

Enjoy Zermatt - I've never been but I believe it's great.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 16-01-24 23:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
The_Intrepid wrote:

Apres...is the Schneewittchen still going?...but now the British-run chalets are gone, it's probably dead!! Shocked Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatts great, 3V is a long way away and you will waste time between the two.
If you want to try a resort with a bit more of a party vibe, Verbier is your best bet, being close by having a party atmosphere and great terrain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
Zermatts great, 3V is a long way away and you will waste time between the two.
If you want to try a resort with a bit more of a party vibe, Verbier is your best bet, being close by having a party atmosphere and great terrain.

Might even bump into a British royal in Verbier...he likes Americans, so I've heard!! Shocked Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love when our US friends come to visit. They will be in London, up to Edinburgh, nip to Stonehenge, a little trip to Paris and "thinking about maybe Madrid" all in a week. The distances are nothing to back home, comparably.

@The_Intrepid, Zermatt is great but 3V is definitely more lively.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The drive from Zermatt to Val Thorens is less than 5 hours according to google maps so that is doable in the evening even including the train down from Zermatt to the car.

When travelling all the way from the US is some inter ski resort travel not less of a big thing, especially for an American. Hotels are absolutely available, you just have to pay the larger rates than normal.

I'd pop to Cervinia for lunch as a) it'd be visiting another country and ski resort and chalet etoile is incredible.

It's absolutely doable. Would I do it, hell no! But I can see why you would.

If going to the 3 vallees I'd stay in Val Thorens for the apres. I'm not sure what the apres in Zermatt is like nowadays.

It'll be expensive, it'll be exhausting but it would be a great trip for someone trying to cram stuff in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stay in Zermatt, ski over to Cervinia (with basics in a backpack) and stay for a couple of nights there. From Cervinia get an early morning taxi/transfer to La Thuile/Aosta/Pila/Courmayeur which are all quite near as they’re all in the Aosta Valley. That would be my recommendation. Combining 3V with Zermatt doesn’t make much sense although, of course, it’s doable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Legend. wrote:
I'd pop to Cervinia for lunch as a) it'd be visiting another country and ski resort and chalet etoile is incredible.

… as are Foyer des Guides, Bontadini (the restaurant proper, not the self-serve above it) and Rascard (although that requires a booking and transfer from Valtournenche)
snow report
luigi wrote:
Apres...is the Schneewittchen still going?...but now the British-run chalets are gone, it's probably dead!! Shocked Laughing

Regrettably, no, some Zermatt old hands were discussing it recently and mourning the loss.

However, there are loads of places to party still;

Hennustall at the end of the day is party central (on piste … but very short run down after and no lifts needed)
Papperla pub the most obvious apre-ski location but Harry’s Bar also very lively once it gets going
The Snowboat has, finally, re-opened too
Cervo on the Sunnegga side is fun when a band is playing at the end of the day

Later on Mamcitas and Broken Barrel are the livelier spots.
ski holidays
Blackblade wrote:
Legend. wrote:

… as are Foyer des Guides, Bontadini (the restaurant proper, not the self-serve above it) and Rascard (although that requires a booking and transfer from Valtournenche)

Not 2 I know but will add them for future trips. There are other very good restaurants in Cervinia but Chalet Etoile is exceptional.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@The_Intrepid, not sure I'd ski to Cervinia "for lunch"?

I would (& have!)

It's a great experience. For a first time visitor to the Alps, especially, it would be great to ski to another country for lunch! And the skiing in Cervinia is excellent anyway.

Mind, we were pleased to visit 2 states at Heavenly, at Lake Tahoe! Very Happy Very Happy

I certainly would not combine it with a 3Vs trip, however. Just stick to Zermatt. It's a magical place!
snow conditions
Verbier! you can see the matterhorn from there and have the full on apres experience. Or split Zermatt and Verbier if you must.....
latest report
Since you only mention Zermatt and 3V - if you want apres, you will find 3V livelier (just make sure you're not in one of the smaller satellite parts of the resort). Courchevel, Meribel and VT all have excellent Apres.

For snowboarding both resorts are excellent so you'll enjoy the snow side of things. You should pick one however. You can't do both.
snow conditions
Forget 3 Valleys!

4 days isn’t long enough to see the 3 Valleys. Never mind “splitting” it with Zermatt.

Take @gilo’s advice. Go to Verbier for both the skiing and the partying.

Oh, don’t go beyond the piste markers. It’s not avalanche controlled.
ski holidays
@The_Intrepid,
Got to Portes du Soleil - closer to Geneva than Zermatt or 3V, plus you would be able to board in both France & Switzerland. Base yourself in one of the French villages - it'll be cheaper, including the cost of the lift pass.
ski holidays
@Kenzie, but that wouldn't offer "a legendary apres experience" the OP is after would it? Making assumptions on what I've heard/read as I've not been!
snow report
@The_Intrepid,
Ask on the Portes du Soleil 2023/24 thread on the Snow Reports forum below for which of the villages are recommended or apres-ski. Then ask after bar recommendations!
latest report
Days 1-2 = Zermatt
Days 3-4 = Verbier
ski holidays
Hey
I have been to Zermatt twice 4 & 6 days. The village it’s stunning, Matterhorn legendary and views amazing. Apre ski quite limited, the Hennu Stall probably most lively, going down to village. Also in town Harry’s ski bar. Music very Germanic and old. Food in my opinion extremely expensive and not appealing to me. French or Italians do it much better. Cervinia would be definitely a good option for lunch. Book in advance. Also take into consideration the connection Zermatt- Cervinia could be closed due to bad weather or just the Italians being slow with grooming / opening their side. I really enjoyed Switzerland by I love 3 V more , it’s massive, apre ski at Follie Deuce in VT & Meribel is super fun. With DJ, shows, people dancing on the tables. There is none of it in Zermatt. Obviously the food, pastries, cheese and wine is the best. Saying that I would probably for 4 days choose Z& C. You need at least 1 week in 3V so you have to come back again.
snow report
mtlover wrote:
Hey
I have been to Zermatt twice 4 & 6 days. The village it’s stunning, Matterhorn legendary and views amazing. Apre ski quite limited, the Hennu Stall probably most lively, going down to village. Also in town Harry’s ski bar. Music very Germanic and old. Food in my opinion extremely expensive and not appealing to me. French or Italians do it much better. Cervinia would be definitely a good option for lunch. Book in advance. Also take into consideration the connection Zermatt- Cervinia could be closed due to bad weather or just the Italians being slow with grooming / opening their side. I really enjoyed Switzerland by I love 3 V more , it’s massive, apre ski at Follie Deuce in VT & Meribel is super fun. With DJ, shows, people dancing on the tables. There is none of it in Zermatt. Obviously the food, pastries, cheese and wine is the best. Saying that I would probably for 4 days choose Z& C. You need at least 1 week in 3V so you have to come back again.

I'm starting to lean more and more towards 3V. Better food, wine, cheese, apres, just seems more up my alley. I've actually been to Zermatt before as a teenager so I've seen the Mattterhorn. If I happen to switch to 3V, where would you recommend staying? I've heard Meribel is a good option as it is in between everything so theres easy access. I also see really affordable places in Les Bruyeres and Courchevel 1550.
ski holidays
@The_Intrepid, A couple of things you have wrong (gleaned from info you have been given on here!) is that the food and wine will be better in 3V than Zermatt. That is categorically incorrect. Zermatt mountain restaurants and legendary.

You will get better apres that will be to your tastes by the sound of things in the 3V
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@The_Intrepid
Ah! If you have been to Zermatt then definitely visit 3V.
Meribel Centre is a nice/ central option but not super lively, beautiful though, especially when you get some snow. They call it Meribel on Thames, it’s mostly English people there . We only stayed there actually. Meribel Mottaret is more ski in/out with purpose built apartments and family friendly.
I have friends who go only to Courchevel 1850, it’s more upmarket, fancy/ expensive restaurants, designer shops etc. VT is more younger ppl, mainly Scandinavia / Dutch I think, accommodation in blocs/ apartments. I don’t have any experience staying there but it is but probably the most fun if you want a bit of party vibes.
ski holidays
mtlover wrote:
@The_Intrepid
Ah! If you have been to Zermatt then definitely visit 3V.
Meribel Centre is a nice/ central option but not super lively, beautiful though, especially when you get some snow. They call it Meribel on Thames, it’s mostly English people there . We only stayed there actually. Meribel Mottaret is more ski in/out with purpose built apartments and family friendly.
I have friends who go only to Courchevel 1850, it’s more upmarket, fancy/ expensive restaurants, designer shops etc. VT is more younger ppl, mainly Scandinavia / Dutch I think, accommodation in blocs/ apartments. I don’t have any experience staying there but it is but probably the most fun if you want a bit of party vibes.

I see, I actually saw a place in Courchevel 1850 for about $750 US for a week, so that is a great option. However it seems UCPA has an event in Val Thorens starting the day after I arrive so that may be the best deal I can find anywhere. About $750 US for food, lodging, and lift tickets. Appreciate the advice!
ski holidays
Just checking in to see if they'd talked you out of a Zermatt / 3V split over 4 days. Glad to see they have...

Haven't done Zermatt but the 3V is great. My brother in law is a boarder and loved it there when we went. Lots of kinda off-piste / side-piste to explore and a huge variety of runs.

From what we saw the après in VT is fun in a weird, plastic sort of way. Like, if there was the equivalent of La Follie D in your town you'd probably avoid it like the plague and it too would also be referred to as La Follie Douche. V amusing for a visit though. Can't tell you much about proper clubs as we go with kids these days... You'll find plenty for 4 days though, just pick the resort with the après you want though, as you don't want to be trying to get between them when the lifts close.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy