Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alta Badia / Dolomites Recommendations and Questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone!
We are (group of 9) headed to San Cassiano on the 3rd of Feb, until the 10th. We are staying at Hotel Conturines.
I've heard amazing things about the Dolomites and Alta Badia so far but we still have a couple of anxious off-pisters in the group, but I'm sure they'll find what they are looking for at the guided tours that they booked of Val Mezdi and Marmolada Laughing

As for the rest of the group, we are mostly lower-intermediate to intermediate on-piste skiers.
We are planning to go Sella Ronda, which direction would you guys recommend?
Also we are planning to do Hidden Valley and Lagazoi, are they recommended for our level?

I also want to take one or two carving lessons as I am one of the lower-intermediate people in the group Smile , are there any recommended schools and instructors in San Cassiano?

And lastly, what are everyone's favorites rifugios, restaurants, bars, clubs for lunch, dinner, aprés, after dinner, etc...
We also love natural wines and I know the region is famous for having some of the best natural wine brands in the industry. I am open to any recommendations and hope to see some SnowHeads around for the Birthday Bash!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sella Ronda Clockwise is usually the recommended route (but there is not a lot in it !)

Hidden Valley is not a too difficult run, involves a taxi to get to the cable car and a horse tow/taxi or a lot of poling at the end..

Do a search -- there is a LOT of information on the site regarding the Dolomites..!

Favourite refugios? nearly all of them!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@defnekasrat, there is some tremendous off-piste in the area that needs guiding, but it's all about the snow conditions. There is a really good base this season, but they will probably need a snowfall just beforehand to make it epic!

Check out New Years Day on here:

http://youtube.com/v/zMlDYWLrrpE

Sella Ronda either way is good, but anti-clockwise is considered slightly easier. At Ciampinoi, above Selva, hang right-right-right round the back of the top station for an easier way down, rather than the steep cut-up red to the left.

If you can manage the reds on the Ronda, you can do the Hidden Valley. It's worth going up the steps to Rifugio Lagazuoi for the views from the terrace.

Good food is pretty much guaranteed at the mountain restaurants, ones with table service (the majority) are usually one notch higher in quality, but just stop at one you like the look of when you're feeling hungry, preferably with a sunny terrace and there'll be something tasty inc the local Ladin specialities.

Jimmys above Passo Gardena is a lovely panoramic spot. Comici near Piz Sella does fresh fish/seafood if that's your thing. Heard good things about meat at Punta Trieste. The Col Alt has fine dining downstairs. Scotoni on the Hidden Valley does a great mixed grill.

I've not stayed in San Cassiano, so can't help on the evening stuff or instructors, except Moritzino up at Piz la Ila does evening dinners and has daytime apres events that look quite lively!

http://youtube.com/v/gJ4yT64XXAU

http://youtube.com/v/gF52x-OaDOM

In Corvara, there's the apres barn at L'Murin at end of play

http://youtube.com/v/TZylCPzKbew

Enjoy!! Cool

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-01-24 23:19; edited 6 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@defnekasrat, there will be about 150 snowheads in Arabba that week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@defnekasrat, there will be about 150 snowheads in Arabba that week.

That's where the party will be at!! You can either avoid it or join them!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@luigi, Wow!! Thanks so much for the reply! Everytime I talk about the Dolomites on this forum, I end up getting even more pumped! I hope I bump into some snowheads during that week. Will the group be there whole week and do you guys stick to Arabba or ski around other towns and areas?

The "a Taste of Skiing" tour seems super cool, I hope it's worth the hype! and it seems to be hosted by the Rifugios that you guys recommended

However, one thing I'm not pumped about is the map! I thought the Lech/Zurs map was insane after I looked at the Alta Badia/DolomitiSuperski map Very Happy
I was wondering if it's feasible to ski to Cortina and back? The same goes for Val Gardena. Or if there are regular taxis that we can catch spontaneously between resorts if we end up having a couple of drinks in the towns and miss the lift closing times?
I keep researching but I have still not found a certain answer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@defnekasrat, yes it is very possible to ski to Val Gardena and back from Alta Badia, very easy indeed. Either way round the Sella Ronda.

Cortina is easy enough from San Cassiano too but will require some wheels.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sean1967, I think the way between Armentarola- Falzarego requires either a bus or a car, right? (For SC-Cortina)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yes its possile to ski from alta badia to Ortisei or Cortina Tofana, Marmolada, Pozza in a day if you a reasonable intermediate,

https://openskimap.org/#10.23/46.5449/11.8346 might help. Also look at the maps for each area. On the Pralongia plateau you just need to lap it until you achieve escape velocity.

There are buses and taxis but ideally you want to not have to take one over a pass.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I think the way between Armentarola- Falzarego requires either a bus or a car, right? (For SC-Cortina)

yes, there is a well organised taxi shuttle, lets says it is a syndicate wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@defnekasrat, have been round SR both ways (one time doing both in one day starting at Selva - both routes are pretty easy). I haven't done Hidden Valley - views are mixed - (fantastic but takes a lot of time). How about La Longia at Seceda (though the cable car back can have big queues)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
defnekasrat wrote:
@luigi, Wow!! Thanks so much for the reply! Everytime I talk about the Dolomites on this forum, I end up getting even more pumped! I hope I bump into some snowheads during that week. Will the group be there whole week and do you guys stick to Arabba or ski around other towns and areas?

The "a Taste of Skiing" tour seems super cool, I hope it's worth the hype! and it seems to be hosted by the Rifugios that you guys recommended

However, one thing I'm not pumped about is the map! I thought the Lech/Zurs map was insane after I looked at the Alta Badia/DolomitiSuperski map Very Happy
I was wondering if it's feasible to ski to Cortina and back? The same goes for Val Gardena. Or if there are regular taxis that we can catch spontaneously between resorts if we end up having a couple of drinks in the towns and miss the lift closing times?
I keep researching but I have still not found a certain answer.

The area above San Cassiano is a spider web of blues, easy to get a bit lost, but plenty of signposts should get you back to where you need to be.

Yes, you can ski to the Tofana side of Cortina (using Taxibus at Armentarola & new Cortina Skyline gondola) and Val Gardena, both well worth exploring, but just make sure you leave time to get back again. Kronplatz is another place you could do a daytrip (free skibus from Badia to Piculin).

There will be taxis that could run you from Corvara or La Villa to San Cassiano in early evening for a price, not as a regular service, but you call them up or go the taxi rank, the bar would give you a number. There are public buses that run hourly in the evening until 8pm the schedule is on www.sad.it I wouldn't recommend getting a taxi over a pass from Val Gardena, say, that would be €€€. Probably best doing your drinking where you can walk or ski back. I heard there is some apres going on at Piz Sorega above San Cassiano, so you could ski back from there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
defnekasrat wrote:
I was wondering if it's feasible to ski to Cortina and back?

Yes it is. Check out this video. Bear in mind they’re quick skiers, but it’s certainly doable.

http://youtube.com/v/KuIDJ8oryLE?feature=shared
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scrunch77 wrote:
defnekasrat wrote:
I was wondering if it's feasible to ski to Cortina and back?

Yes it is. Check out this video. Bear in mind they’re quick skiers, but it’s certainly doable.

They came all the way from Badia. From San Cassiano, you would have a head start.

This was posted on another thread, a Brit couple did it last winter at a seemingly normal pace, starting from Selva in Val Gardena, which is even further.

They get to Cortina by 11.30 despite a 30min wait for the taxi-bus at Armentarola. They get up to Ra Valles and head back on the Cortina Express at 1pm without lunch, doing the Hidden Valley along the way. They make it with time for a drink and cake before the last run down to Selva

They do it on Day 3 of their trip which starts at timestamp 10:10 in the video...

http://youtube.com/v/2D0nakv1fPY
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@luigi, Thank you, will definitely check it out!
snow report
I stayed in San Cassiano in 2018. We were self catering so went out for quite a few meals. I also managed to sample a few of the many refugios in Alta Badia. Alas the photos from that TR are no longer linked. We went to La Villa in 2022 but due to various considerations we only managed a few new refugios (the first was so good I took a photo of my food) and were in a hotel with fantastic food and a great cocktail bar so no evening recommendations for you there.

https://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3213261&highlight=san+cassiano#3213261

A search will bring up more lists of food/hot chocolate/bombardino stops on the mountain. There are loads and the standard is generally excellent.
latest report
@what...snow, Wow that was so detailed and helpful, thank you! I took note of all the places you mentioned as we are also staying in SC.

I have a question for people who are frequent to the area:

Is the Dolomiti Superski App accurate???
I'm trying to plan out some days and I keep looking at the map function on the app, trying to create some routes.
I was trying to find out how to get to Corvara from San Cassiano but it keeps creating a route that takes over 4 hours, with 38 slopes and 18 lifts that take us to Selva and back to Corvara? I'm assuming (also hoping) that's not the only way, right? Also, we are very excited to visit Jimmi's Hut but there seems to be a 3:30 hours of skiing needed to get there, and trying to get back gives us a 30-minute window to eat. Is there something I'm missing or does everyone take back the bus or smth when they make the journey?
snow conditions
Corvara to San Cassiano is 3 lifts...

Just look at a piste map - they are both in the NE corner of the Sella Ronda

As for plans. just go round the SR to different areas, or go right round
ski holidays
"...Is the Dolomiti Superski App accurate???..."

Pretty rubbish for route planning ; I tried San Cassiano to Corvara just now and it takes you all way around the Sella Ronda !!
So it is not just you @defnekasrat...
latest report
Quote:

I was trying to find out how to get to Corvara from San Cassiano

I think San Cassiano to Corvara can be done in just two lifts. Up in the Piz Sorega cabin, go along a bit then ski down 28 Campai on the right, then take Biok, the middle chairlift up and then ski down 7 and 8 into Corvara.
snow conditions
There are so many mountain huts available direct or with 1 further lift from the top of Sorega. 5 direct, 4-5 off runs from La Brancia, 2 off Bamby and 1 at the top of Biok. There’s another off 8, to the right above Corvara, so it’s at least 14. You can’t hope to try even just these ones in one week. There are lots more in every direction.

@olderscot, is right, that is the best route to the Sella Ronda and the 3 lifts there. Can also be done via La Brancia and 6 but that’s lots of poling so I would advise against that route. Taking Braia Fraida the short way after La Brancia and 5B is best for heading to Col Alt.

For some reason the app doesn’t believe in piste 8’s existence for a section below Pralongia 2 lift. It is there and takes you to Boe/Borest/Costes lifts and central Corvara, or you might be able to veer right to find Arlara lift. If not you will be able to ski right of the top of Costes chair, wind through more Corvara village and find Col Alt gondola. There’s a whole bunch of runs that end at Arlara and Braia Fraida lifts or Col Alt gondola.

Lastly, there was an actual Enoteca at the bottom of Incisa lift, in case you fancy wine tasting on the slopes. There’s another selection of blues accessible this way from Pralongia 1 and 2 lifts, and it’s another route to Arabba.
latest report
Just got back from the Dolomites. I used Fatmap to plan routes and get a feel for the different areas. Much better the the map on the app
snow conditions
Someone posted this the other day - see Corvara and San Cassiano

That's a great area in between the two - a mass of easy runs.

The small area above Colfosco is nearby and a nice mix

If you want some really good reds and some blacks go to Arraba (the south side - north facing so good condition and not busy)

https://openskimap.org/#12.85/46.54622/11.90838
ski holidays
@albob, that's good to hear Laughing pretty awful app for sure.

thanks everyone for the directions, these will come in handy. I'm still very very bad reading piste maps and the Dolomiti Superski map is insane.
snow report
@defnekasrat, Jimmi’s is just after the Plans-Frara gondola on the way to Selva. 5 lifts from San Cassiano: 3 gondolas, a 6 man chair and an 8 man chair! Sorega, Biok, Borest, Sodlisia, Plans-Frara. The only long ski is Biok to Borest on 7 then 8. For the other connections, you will see the lift to aim for from near the top of the previous one. It should take less than 90 minutes without big queues. No idea why the app thinks it’s a big excursion. Long easy ski back to Borest or 2 more chairs to reach Val Gardena.
ski holidays
albob wrote:
"...Is the Dolomiti Superski App accurate???..."

Pretty rubbish for route planning ; I tried San Cassiano to Corvara just now and it takes you all way around the Sella Ronda !!
So it is not just you @defnekasrat...

+1 the app is absolutely rubbish.

Definitely 2 lifts from San Cassiano to Corvara, we’d prefer Piz Sorega then Biok as less flats.

Coincidentally we did La Villa to Ortisei today, conditions weren’t the best so slow going in parts but we left at 9:15 and got back for 4:30, ski tracks says we skied 30 miles,it will be the same from San Cassiano. The trickiest part is in Selva. from the Ciampinoi lift you need to tackle the top of a black, it’s not steep but is usually bumpy as it’s quite busy. The runs from Corvara into Selva are great but be prepared for a bit of a faff getting to the top, 2 gondolas and 3 chair lifts then one great run down.

Re SR we prefer clockwise less lifts and more long runs. a couple of suggestions, just our personal preferences. Note that signs to “alternative SR” mean more difficult so if you follow these you could go via a black.

In Arabba take the cable car to the top and ski down from there, it’s one less lift and a nice run with great views from the Rifugio at the top. The top part is a steepish red but very wide.

Heading towards Selva we used to get a bit lost! However coming down the blue from Canazei you reach lift no 48 (sole) go up but don’t follow everyone else down a narrow run in front of you, head the opposite way down piste Falk it’s a nice red (one of the selva super Cool, then when you hit the bottom you’ll see a load of lifts just follow the SR sign and go up the drag lift then down a red into Selva. On Monday there were 2 other skiers on Falk but people queuing elsewhere.
snow report
Probably, this has been explained here many times but I couldn't find the right entry.

Generally speaking, how is the public transport and bus situation between the towns of Alta Badia? Most sites seem to be in Italian so I'm not sure. If I check on Google Maps, it shows a 15-minute drive take 45-50 minutes with public transport. Would you guys say that it's not accurate or is the public transport that slow?

We are staying in San Cassiano but I might have to pick a couple of things up from the shops in Corvara and Colfosco, and we might also have some dinners in other towns. How easy is it to get around?

Also, how are taxi fares like between towns?
latest report
We always drive but here’s the site for buses in English
https://www.suedtirolmobil.info/en/

From San Cassiano you’ll find La Villa will have most of what you need and is the best for supermarkets, Colfosco doesn’t have much, Corvara has more clothing shops than La Villa. Obviously you can ski to them all.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bus from San Cassiano to Corvara is maybe about 20 minutes but Im sure you have to change at La Villa. Can't remember how frequent the busses are, but think they're hourly, possibly half hourly in the working week.
latest report
@richb67, great, and helpful site, thanks!

The time has come for me to upgrade my base-layers and I'm on the hunt for a new ski jacket, so I gather Corvara is the best address for me. I think there is one shop in San Cassiano but all of the websites for the stores in the area are not helpful Very Happy I'll have to go and check for myself. Or, as you said, I can stuff my big backpack with the stuff I buy and ski back easily. Very Happy
ski holidays
@defnekasrat,
There are two bus routes, the 460 and 465, the latter goes to san Cassiano, we just saw one at the bus ‘station’ in Corvara and it said San Cassiano on the front Very Happy
ski holidays
@richb67, thanks!!

I wanted to ask you guys for some advice. I know these questions have been asked here many many times but I'm still trying to navigate my way around the many threads and replies. So, I apologize if this annoys anyone Embarassed but I wanted to ask you guys for your personal opinions of the area.

I would call half of our group lower-intermediates(like me) and the rest pretty advanced skiers. The advanced team has 2 guided off-piste tours of Marmolada and Lagazoi booked, we'll see if they'll be able to do it.

So for us:
How, being super honest, hard is Sella Ronda? (both Circuits) All of us easily managed Weisse-Ring in Arlberg last year, I know the Rondas has many more reds (and even a black in the orange one?) but overall how would you rank the difficulty level for regular resort skiers? I'm honestly considering doing the green one only. I can personally manage a difficult red here and there but if the whole circuit is full of those, it might get exhausting at one point.
Also, what are your guys' favorite Rifugios on the Sella Ronda?

The same questions go for the WW1 and Hidden Valley tours as well. I don't know what situation they are in after not getting any snow for the last 3 weeks or so but for people who are not that advanced, are they manageable?
snow report
I think the difficulty varies a bit depending on where you are based. The few slightly steeper pistes will be grippy corduroy in the morning, and lumpy moguls in the afternoon.
Most people prefer the orange, but I think that's just to skip the flat poling section. I think the green is easier. Especially if starting from say Selva, where you get one mogul hotspot over and done with while it is groomed. The orange way has 2 hotspots later in the day, so would be best from Corvara (or perhaps Arabba).
We've taken 2nd/3rd week skiers round the loop before.
snow report
@andy, that sounds promising! I think the green one has more lifts to but it’s okay for us. Btw, we start from San Cassiano, so I think we’ll need to go to Corvara first. Would the orange work better for us in that case?
latest report
I would go orange. Green has lift after lift with almost no skiing from Corvara to the top of the pass above selva - I nearly went that way the other week (as it is an easier direction) but a Snowhead reminded me about the endless lifts and it was minus 15C so the top two chairlifts would have been awful.

The hardest bits of the orange in my opinion are just before selva - it’s poorly signposted , busy , some narrow points and some very steep slopes and it’s easy to end up on the orange extended which has some nasty sections and then a black to selva. Can be a very tiring section.

Instead - take the secret (unsignposted ?) blue to plan de gralba…

When you arrive at the chairlift called sole - do not take it - there is a run to the right of it with no signpost (or one very difficult to see) . It’s a lovely (usually empty) blue called Schiappen-sella. It takes you to plan de gralba.
You could even add a lap onto chairlift Pudra on the way down which is usually empty. At plan de gralba - get a little drag lift (called plan de gralba) and go right down a red to selva (with a short chair (fungeia) near the bottom to get a little extra height for the final run in.

This way is far easier and quicker than the full orange.
And gives you no chance to accidentally take the extended version … With far less people.
snow report
For the clockwise/orange, from San Cassiano you'd possibly miss 1 of the lumpy bits near the end of the day, and should get past the 1 steepish bit in Arabba early on, so should be fine.
For the green, should hopefully get past the bit from top of Ciampinoi before it gets to chopped up too.

They may be marked on the map as red, but I'd say on the whole it's fairly easy red/blue but with a few short black spots)
Both ways, it certainly helps to know a few tricks to avoid a couple of spots that some people don't like, if there are nervous skiers in the group.
ski holidays
@defnekasrat, we’ve just completed the green circuit today and found it absolutely fine. We’re a group of 4 (low intermediate-good intermediate skiers) and did it in about 5 hours with a longish lunch stop. We started about 8.45am and didn’t find it too busy, apart from the bits where the two circuits meet. Be careful on the lift just before Selva though, it’s really poorly sign posted and we accidentally ended up on a black (Cir), luckily it was still early then so the snow was still not cut up and still flat.
snow report
The Sole trick above on the orange is definitely worth doing, regardless.
There's a trick from Comici 1 looping round and up Tramans? to skip a nasty black if you go the more conventional way.

not been on Cir black for a few years now. It's been rebuilt several times for various reasons. Imho it would make a good introductory black run (and I think gets a little more sun than the reds down to selva, which get a bit nippy in the shade). As above though, it is a lot of lift ride with no activity for half an hour going that way.
snow report
sheffskibod wrote:
I would go orange. Green has lift after lift with almost no skiing from Corvara to the top of the pass above selva - I nearly went that way the other week (as it is an easier direction) but a Snowhead reminded me about the endless lifts and it was minus 15C so the top two chairlifts would have been awful.

The hardest bits of the orange in my opinion are just before selva - it’s poorly signposted , busy , some narrow points and some very steep slopes and it’s easy to end up on the orange extended which has some nasty sections and then a black to selva. Can be a very tiring section.

Instead - take the secret (unsignposted ?) blue to plan de gralba…

When you arrive at the chairlift called sole - do not take it - there is a run to the right of it with no signpost (or one very difficult to see) . It’s a lovely (usually empty) blue called Schiappen-sella. It takes you to plan de gralba.
You could even add a lap onto chairlift Pudra on the way down which is usually empty. At plan de gralba - get a little drag lift (called plan de gralba) and go right down a red to selva (with a short chair (fungeia) near the bottom to get a little extra height for the final run in.

This way is far easier and quicker than the full orange.
And gives you no chance to accidentally take the extended version … With far less people.

This is all great advice for intermediate skiers and anyone doing the Orange route should re read the above. It is very easy to find yourself on blacks if you take sole and then wrong turning at the top. The problem is you reach the Sole lift and it isn’t clear where to go, general advice. On the SR, if in doubt keep going down! I’ll add one suggestion if you do go up Sole don’t follow the herd heading straight off the lift, turn right and take red 5 (Falk) it’s an easy red that takes you down to Plan de Gralba and last time we did this it was deserted.
snow report
@defnekasrat, we did the hidden valley the other day for IIRC the 4th time and I’d say it wasn’t suitable for a nervous intermediate. Long icy sections, quite a few intermediates struggling, quite a few falling and generally busy which adds to the stress. IIRC it doesn’t have snowmaking and some parts are sheltered most of the day. If it’s just snowed then give it a day then go for it. I may get hung, drawn and quartered for saying this, it’s sacrilegious on snowheads!

All personal but I also think the orange SR is better suited but if in doubt get out early.
I did a lift count and the green route has more lifts and twice as many chairlifts as the orange.

Hints and tips for the orange if taking a nervous intermediate
Corvara, when getting of Boe don’t follow the herd up the moving carpet, turn left back towards Corvara and then after a few hundred metres of wide piste turn right, signposted SR orange, you miss out an awkward busy section.

Towards Arabba- the herd gets off the no 7 chairlift and goes straight, turn right for quieter pistes, there is a junction a little later but it doesn’t matter which you take.
They all end up in the same place which is where you want to be.

Belvedere - at the top of no 124 chairlift, the herd goes straight on, turn left under the other chairlift and then right into the bowl, it’s still a red but quieter and not so steep or bumpy.

Towards Selva reread @sheffskibod above!

Remember the Sella Ronda is just a route around a mountain it’s up to you how you do it, the signs are guidance and if you divert you will soon see a sign that gets you back in the right direction. It’s difficult to get lost, just keep the large mountain on the same side!

Most importantly enjoy, if someone is stressed just stop for a hot chocolate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy