Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How easy to drive from Turin to Sauze d'Oulx?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going at the end of February. We were looking at the public transport option but our return flight is too early, and a taxi is expensive (and possibly they're all booked up anyway).

Now looking to hire a car. I've read it's a pretty easy drive, but what are the roads like in Sauze d'Oulx at that time of year? Would we need snow tires or even chains?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dave333, not sure about the Sauze bit, not driven up there for ages in winter, but it's an easy exit from airport onto autostrada, and a straight run to Oulx, everything is well signposted. You will need winter equipment as it is compulsory on some of the roads you will be driving on from 15th November to 15th April (including the autostrada I think).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s quite a simple drive, only about an hour or so. As said you’ll need to make sure the hire car is equipped for winter.

If you’re struggling for taxis have a look at www.sauzeonline.com. We’ve used them for airport transfers a couple of times before, last season they charged us 390 euros for a return minibus which I thought was pretty decent value for a reliable door to door service. Once you take into account hire car costs, winterisation, fuel and tolls you may not be too far away from the cost of a taxi (depending of course on what size vehicle you need).

You could always save costs and get the train/bus to Sauze then just book a single taxi for the return journey.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you. That website (sauzeonline.com) is what I was looking at, but our departure date is 2nd March and it's saying it's not available.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sauze is a car free town. You can only drive there with a permit so be sure to check this is available with your accommodation. They will register your vehicle with the local authorities so you don’t get a fine for driving through.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

you’ll need to make sure the hire car is equipped for winter

This is quite likely to be just chains - which means the car will comply with the rules, but if it is snowy, means you need to be prepared to use them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The only time I've ever needed to put chains on was about 10 years ago when driving from Sauze back down to the valley floor. What stands out in my memory was the drama of actually getting the chains on rather than the drive itself.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s incredibly easy and getting up to Sauze is generally very simple too unless there has been a big dump. Never had any issue driving there and parking either so not sure about it being a no car town.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Never had any issue driving there

But how many times have you driven there? If every year for ten years, that's just 20 days out of, say, 1500 winter days. The rules require chains or winter tyres and if there's a big dump you could well need both.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, for a start it’s not how often I have driven there, it’s how often I have been in the resort - one doesn’t need to literally be driving to see the road conditions.

I have driven there and been in resort for a week at least every year for the last decade. I have seen one occasion when the roads were problematic. In that case it was not the conditions of the roads themselves but other traffic blocking them - presumably because of a lack of suitable equipment.

However that is all moot, at no point did I suggest driving there without chains or winter tyres.

As I said in my post it is incredibly easy - essentially one road - to Sauze from Turin and takes about an hour. I have never had any issues taking or having a car in Sauze which given the influx of Italians at the weekend does not seem to be a car free town, unless something has changed this season, we aren’t due to go until next month.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave333 wrote:
Thank you. That website (sauzeonline.com) is what I was looking at, but our departure date is 2nd March and it's saying it's not available.

You’ve probably already done this but drop James at SauzeOnline an email, he’s very helpful and will be able to advise either way.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with above. It's an easy drive and you'll get parked although you may have a walk to/from accomodation if arriving at the weekend. You can usually move your car closer later in the day when day trippers leave. The no car bit is only the very centre of the old town where the old cobbled main street is closed except a few hours a day. Rental cars from Turin usually have chains in the boot. Having a hire car is advantageous if you want to ski Montgenevre as getting there in skis takes too long.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 21-01-24 22:56; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

In that case it was not the conditions of the roads themselves but other traffic blocking them - presumably because of a lack of suitable equipment.

Yes, no doubt. That was my experience spending many months in France in winter. And it's why the French police will stop any cars without suitable equipment going up the mountain on snowy and busy transfer days. Even cars with winter tyres will be forced to put chains on - or go back down to the valley and buy some!

People sometimes insist that it doesn't happen, but it does! Do the Italian authorities do the same?

https://sauzedoulx.net/information/travel-information/driving-to-sauze-doulx/

This suggests that there is a traffic-restricted zone in the centre, but no doubt lots of destinations don't require driving through it.

That website might be wrong about the traffic-free rules - I think it's wrong about the requirement for winter tyres! I've not been to Sauze but have driven quite a lot on the motorway north from Turin and the many signs there make it clear that chains are an alternative to winter tyres. I guess that's why many hire cars from Turin don't have winter or all season tyres. We rented one last March which didn't, but the roads were all clear anyway. We did have one slightly hairy drive up to Pila, but mostly used the gondola.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's an easy drive as others have said. But check the permit/traffic free zone carefully. My friend was there at the same time as us, and moved her car a few times whilst we were there... and got a fine every time she did so. They have 360 days to issue the fine, and she got hers on about day 350. It was a bit of a nasty surprise. There are signs up, but I can see how she missed them.

You can go round the edge of town to avoid the permit area, but just have your wits about you!

Check parking options too.

We got the train there once, which was pretty efficient, but other than that have always taxied. We've always arranged it directly with our hotel. We stay at Stella Alpina, and Caroline (the owner) sorts out all the return taxis and works out who can share with who, so we have never needed a taxi back just the 2 of us. So it may be worth checking with your hotel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy