Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get home after Easter skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I was talking to my niece last night about coming skiing over the Easter holidays. Getting to Les Arcs the week before is no problem with lots of very inexpensive flight, such as less than £20 plus luggage from Bournemouth to Genva, but how to get back? It appears that almost all return flights stop on March 30th. As it is a bank holiday on Monday she would like to return sometime the next week. I suppose the only option is the train at > £200.

How are other people managing Easter skiing?

ps we are driving back later in the month.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnE, Geneva->Gatwick flights certainly won't be stopping on the 30th!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fly to London and train to south coast..... Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clearly I didn't look hard enougth. I forgot about the usual - change in Amsterdam or go to Lyon instead of Geneva. I tend to ignore Gatwick as my usual view is that it is the backend of beyond. But I suppose for Lucy it might work. Is Heathrow better?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, I think Gatwick would be better for trains to Bournemouth. But I've only done that once, a few years ago.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All the flights from "obscure" airports such as Bournemouth stop at the end of March. But Geneva flights continue forever.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, over £200 sounds steep for the train. Where are you getting that figure from?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had the same issue regarding flights back to Bournemouth after Easter. So we are just driving up and parking (APH) at Gatwick, but appreciate it's not as easy if you have been away a while/haven't driven up in the first place. Could use national express rather than the train if trying to keep costs down? Can jump off at Ringwood or Bournemouth station and they take ski gear as oversized luggage.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

over £200 sounds steep for the train. Where are you getting that figure from?

thetrainline.com. Based on a Febuary date as the April dates are not announced yet (£156 to London) then added £50 or so to get from London to Bournemouth (just a wild guess based on just how expensive trains are in the UK)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flight to Heathrow. Google maps then suggests railair bus to woking and train to bournemouth, or train to reading, basingstoke and bournemouth.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Geneva to Gatwick then train, £36 - 40, plenty of choice of times.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, Is this the trainfare? The flights are a bit expensive at CHF 276.45 in April. I suppose because there are so few flights back to the UK from Geneva.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yes, that's the trainfare
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are plenty of cheap flights if you are prepared to shift away from absolute peak times - from 30 CHF. Shouldn't be a problem for a young person travelling alone.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, There are upto the Easter Saturday then the few flights after that date are very expensive. Well, not really, it's just that we are conditioned to dirt cheep airfares.
snow report
Where are you looking, @johnE? There are frequent easyJet flights from Geneva to Gatwick all year round, many of them pretty cheap. We've all got used to the end of dirt cheap flights - once you add a bag bigger than a teeny handbag, prices start to add up.
ski holidays
If she wants to fly "sometime that week", then Apr 3 Easyjet: Geneva-Bournemouth £135?, or Geneva-Bristol £80?
Edit: Adding a cabin bag adds £28.
latest report
@wibble44, Well spotted. I never got that far in the dates. Just need to cost in the overnight in Geneva, but I think that can be sorted. I'll leave it up to Lucy now - she's a big girl.

When I'm flying these days I tend not to add in a big cabin bag but just a checked bag, often shared between one's wife and one. If I'm only going for a few days then the underseat bag is usually sufficient. The only reason I'd have a big carryon bag is if hiring a car at Geneva when you can skip checkin and just walk through the usually non existant queue at security.
snow conditions
Quote:

We've all got used to the end of dirt cheap flights - once you add a bag bigger than a teeny handbag, prices start to add up.

Yes , as @wibble44, points out it costs more to take a big carryon bag onto the plane than your seat costs.
latest report
You really need to book the moment train tickets come out for Eurostar and the TGV. Have a look on Rail europe to work out the breakdown. If the french part of the journey is still cheap you could look at train plus ferry as a foot passenger. Brittany Ferries have some cheap fares for foot passengers. Booking at this stage flying is probably the cheapest option...unless your niece wants to go by coach. If so you could look at Snow Express.
snow report
@snowymum, Though I've never done it at times it looks as if flying to Paris and getting the train from there might be a good option. I say that as my last train ticket to London was £155 return. I pointed out to my friend that this was twice the price of flying to Geneva.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy