Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Increase DIN or something else?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My son keeps releasing from his skis mid run. So I’m just trying to work out if it’s just a matter of turning up the DINs some more or if there is something else that could be causing the problem. His boots are only 3 months old, so I doubt they are worn and the rear binding is adjusted in as close to the rear of his boot as possible. I don’t think there is a height adjustment on the toe binding, so is there any option other than turning up the DIN and making sure his boots are clear of snow?
I don’t have much room left to turn up the bindings, so if that is the solution then they may have to be replaced.
Stats.
Binding- Look NX 7
Boot - Lange RS90SC -length 266
Weight - 43kgs
Height - 152cm
Current DIN setting - 6
Thanks for any advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to a shop and get forward pressure and DIN checked.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The calculated DIN for a good skier with those criteria is 6.5 so I doubt the problem is the DIN setting. Do you know how to check the forward pressure on those bindings?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No idea how to check the forward pressure
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@doddsie, are the Look NX 7 the older Alpine or newer GripWalk binding? They do two types, and on the basis that the boots are new it is possible that you have Gripwalk soles in an Alpine binding, and that will likely not work.

As for the DIN, I'm double his weight and ski on 6.5, and would imagine that a calculator like page 49 of https://www.snowcountry.nl/media/wysiwyg/SnowHow/ski-bindings/manuals/Look-Rossignol-Dynastar-Movement_technical_manual_1819.pdf would put him in the H to I range of their chart, and thus 2.5 to 4.5 as the limits. If he's coming out with them on 6, there is something else wrong. Consult that manual or a version for your specific binding age and check the forward pressure adjustment.

Failing that, hope that @spyderjon comes along in a second as he's the expert and I'm just an interested kit fiddler wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They are GripWalk bindings
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for forward pressure, and if in any doubt (i.e. not sure that they're set correctly) then get them checked by a pro. 6.5 sounds very high for a child, even with relatively short boots.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@doddsie, your sons boots have an adult alpine ISO 5355A sole and his NX7 GW bindings are compatible with both adult ISO 5355A soles and GripWalk (GW) ISO 23223A boot soles so you're good there. And the NX7 has auto toe height adjustment so you're good there as well.

So assuming that there's no fault with the bindings (unlikely) then that leaves the forward pressure adjustment - which is effectively the length of the binding, ie the separation between the toe and the heel. The heel binding has some fore/aft spring loaded travel (the forward pressure spring) and when you click the boot in the binding the heel of the boot pushes the heel binding rearward meaning that the heel binding is then 'free floating' on the forward pressure spring. The length of the binding needs to set correctly so that forward pressure spring applies sufficient forward pressure on the boot, pushing it forward in to the toe binding - which then effectively calibrates the din settings so that they will release on the actual din settings that they've been adjusted to. When set correctly the forward then ensures that the bindings will release at their stated settings throughout the flex range of the ski.

If you set the binding length too short then, assuming the boot will still fit, you'll have too much forward pressure and the bindings will release at a high din than they're set at.

If you set the binding length too long then you'll have insufficient forward pressure and the bindings will release at a lower din than they're set at or when the ski rebounds and the camber increases the heel binding will 'unhook' itself off the back of the boot. This is what's most likely going on here and simply turning up the din will not be effective and is actually dangerous. 6 din is far too high for your sons stats. If he's 9 yrs old or younger he should be on 3 to 3.5 depending upon his skier type. If he's 10 or older then 3.5 to 4.5

Page 16/photo 17 in the Look Tech Manual linked above by @ousekjarr shows the forward pressure indicator for the NX bindings. It does matter if it's a rail mounted NX or a flat mounted NX, simply set the binding length so that, when the boot is installed, there's a black lime in the yellow window on the left hand side of the heel binding. The black line anywhere in the window is acceptable but if there's more than one heel length that achieves that then choose the heel length that puts the black line the closest to the middle of the window.

If you're in any doubt then get them checked at a shop.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderjon - Thank you for the detailed explanation. When I saw my son at Christmas I adjusted the heel binding in as much as possible, but didn't realise that there was an indicator box. I've sent him instructions on how to check the forward pressure now you've explained it, as it's possible that one of the rear bindings has moved. If he thinks it looks ok, then I've told him to take it to a technician to check as well. If all looks ok then I've told him the only option is to up the DINs some more, but to speak to his coaches before he does that. I'll update this post once he's looked into it, he's on a different time zone, but hopefully he'll look before he goes skiing today.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
doddsie wrote:
If all looks ok then I've told him the only option is to up the DINs some more, but to speak to his coaches before he does that.

I wouldn’t be increasing the DIN if he’s already set to 6 as some have mentioned above unless he’s an excellent skier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy