Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spending a few hours at GVA airport

Poster: A snowHead
Later this month my partner and I should have approx. 3 hours to waste at / near Geneva airport, with luggage. Any tips on things to do? A late lunch would be an option, but would need to be something affordable that is open all afternoon (and hopefully better than an overpriced McDonalds). Or is there any type of tourist attraction / art gallery etc. within the airport / railway station complex? We're also happy to walk / take public transport somewhere if it's worth it for the short amount of time. It'll be a weekday.

Our flight was originally due to arrive at 3.30pm but has been pulled forward to 2.10; our hire car is booked from 6.30 as picking it up earlier ended up adding on an extra day. (I reckon we can get away with picking it up an hour early, but probably not any more than that.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@denfinella, You can store bags in the train station there, so that gives you the option of jumping on a train in to central Geneva if you wanted.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@denfinella, would you not spend just as much on lunch, transport etc as an extra day on the car hire?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, The car may not be available to take out until the alotted time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@swskier, good idea, may well do that and have a wander around the city centre!
@holidayloverxx, think it would've been an extra £35 or so to add the extra day, which didn't seem worth it for (what was at the time) only 1.5-2 hours' wait. (Also, I'd still need to buy food regardless, so the figures to compare would be the difference between eating out in CH/FR, rather than the absolute cost of a meal in CH.)

Always a chance that the flight will be delayed. If ever there was a good time for that to happen, it would be this time Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
@holidayloverxx, The car may not be available to take out until the alotted time.

You don't know unless you ask
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’d just go to the desk early, you’ll probably get it earlier than booked.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The city centre is a good shout - but unfortunately you can't get the free transport tickets at the airport anymore. It's not expensive though, and less than 10mins on the train from the airport, then an easy stroll down to the lake and even over to the Old Town.

Or see if there's anything of interest at Palexpo - you can walk to it via the airport train station: https://palexpo.ch/en/home/

There are also some restaurants in the airport train station (directly linked to/beside the airport) if you just want somewhere to sit and eat without paying for bag storage. And a supermarket (far end).
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travel-information/stations/find-station/geneve-aeroport-station/shops.html?tags=1&page=1&pageOpen=1
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think I'd try to do too much myself as you won't really have as much time as you think. Landing at 14:10 probably won't mean getting into the arrivals hall until 14:45 - and that's GVA is having a reasonably efficient day! You probably want to be getting to the car hire desks 18:00 to 18:15 for a 18:30 booking - no point getting to the airport at 14:10 and finding yourself at the back of the queue at 18:30!

Given that I'd probably take your time going through the airport, then grab a late lunch at the Montreux Jazz Café - convieniently a 2min walk from the car hire desks. Between a very French lunch and a few coffies you should be easilly able to stay there until it's time to head to the hire car queues.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's quite often an option to pick up car earlier but then rental will start at the actual pick up time, ie will need to return it earlier.
If it's on arrival then I would go shopping or just wonder (CERN is not that far).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We killed time before a flight by walking around Geneva old town and got a nice lunch in an old square, it was a pleasant afternoon.
The train to the airport is frequent and short
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe there happens to be something on at the palexpo next door?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@denfinella, if I really had 3 hours, I'd head into town and lunch at e.g. cafe de paris, old town, etc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could walk down the road to IKEA and have Swedish meatballs for lunch. Blush
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think I'd either re-quote the car (And hope for a cheaper price) or suck up the extra charge in order to arrive in resort earlier!
latest report
Thanks all. Lots of options to think about. Will see what we feel like on the day, depending on whether our flight lands on time or not, but sounds like the city centre or just Migros / railway station restaurant are the most appealing options.

ster wrote:
I’d just go to the desk early, you’ll probably get it earlier than booked.

Worth a punt. I tried that once in Germany an hour before the booked time and they said I could only collect the car up to 29 minutes early Laughing

@fixx, @Jonny996, @under a new name, good ideas there, will probably end up doing one of those options.

@Mjit, fair points, well made.

snowyc wrote:
It's quite often an option to pick up car earlier but then rental will start at the actual pick up time, ie will need to return it earlier.

Yeah, we need the full allotted time on the last day (in order to get a full day's skiing) so can't shift the booking to be any earlier.

pam w, certainly a cheap option!

kitenski wrote:
I think I'd either re-quote the car (And hope for a cheaper price) or suck up the extra charge in order to arrive in resort earlier!

Prices are currently higher than when I booked. I just don't think it's worth the extra charge to arrive in resort at ~5pm instead of 7.30pm. It'll already be dark and we won't particularly need the extra time. So would rather spend the money on food than extending the hire car period.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy