Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’ve got just one full day in Solden next week and want to try and get to the glacier areas. Will it be possible for a reasonable skier to get from Gaislachalm (far left on piste map) round the whole circuit to get to the glaciers and back in a day? Bearing in mind it will be my first day on skis since last season and I’ve never been to Solden before! Is it an easy place to navigate round? It’s on a Monday so hopefully not too busy. Cheers for any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
japes1275 wrote:
I’ve got just one full day in Solden next week and want to try and get to the glacier areas. Will it be possible for a reasonable skier to get from Gaislachalm (far left on piste map) round the whole circuit to get to the glaciers and back in a day? Bearing in mind it will be my first day on skis since last season and I’ve never been to Solden before! Is it an easy place to navigate round? It’s on a Monday so hopefully not too busy. Cheers for any advice.

Yes. it's a trek (5 lifts up from Giggijoch end with just one run). But the Einzeiger 4 man chair can be busy. Shouldn't take more than 90mins or so to get there - it's really not difficult. Add an extra blue run, but still 5 lifts from the end you are starting at

Coming back blue 30 (next to the road) is a quick way back, though you'd miss out on the large bowl above Giggijoch which is basically one huge wide rolling piste with so many ways down.

The glacier - the far one anyway, is a bit flat... it's Ok to say you've been there, but it's not the best skiing in Solden
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What they said.

I'm usually there at the end of the season (May) when the two glaciers are often the only operational bit, but sometimes the Giggijoch lift access is how I've arrived at the Tiefenbach glacier, the route's quite fun. The cafes on the glaciers are mostly not great, cafeteria style things. It's easy to navigate, in that even if you go wrong you can't get in trouble.

If your aim is "coverage", then if it was me I'd go up Giggijoch and head for Tiefenbach. As pointed out glacier runs are seldom steep and challenging, but there's a view point at the top of the Tiefenbach which is pretty, and the views from the Rettenbach are good too. The Rettenbach racecourse is steep but not hard; the run skiers right from there "the 'fridge", with the T bar, is an easier alternative.

Having checked those out you could work your way back and eventually make a transition over to the Gaislachgogl stuff. Then hack back to the original start if you've time, or just descend there - the walk between those two main lift stations is not as far as it looks on the piste map: 15 minutes if you have to walk the entire thing, according to google.

Other approaches would of course work. If the glacier bus is operational, you could use that to start and work around from there. I can't remember if the bus is quicker than the lift chain, but it may well be.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks very much for the replies, great advice. Sounds like it’s easily doable but maybe would need to spend a lot of time on lifts. Perhaps I’ll have a more relaxed approach and see see how my fresh ski legs feel on a couple of runs before setting off trying to do a full tour of the resort. Maybe use the day to see if I’d like to come back for a full week. Thanks again!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@japes1275, Usually time on a lift is repaid eventually skiing back down, but the last but one lift is a horizontal transfer (though not that long).

If you are there for one day I wouldn't bother withe the glacier - there are some nice runs at the top of the gondola you plan on taking (I like 2 - nice and quiet as slightly away from the main area). Maybe more fun going up to the Gaislachkogl which is not far off as high as the glacier and much quicker to get there. Red 1 is a good long run down from there. And then go across to the Giggijoch side and enjoy the 101 ways to go down the huge wide area there, or take 11 or 18 back to C31. That can get a bit bumpy late on if warm as it's sun facing, but is another great long run (c31 is a long chair). Blue 23 may be tempting, but it's a really slow chair back up, though I like blue 24 (but it's very short and lift D51 can get very busy as it's the route to the glacier). Plenty more rewarding skiing than doing the glaciers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks buchanan101, yes I’m thinking more on those lines now, plus I’d forgotten that there’s also the weather to take into consideration. No point getting set for fitting it all in if the weather is bad. I’ll probably stick to the Gaislachkogle side for the morning and see what I think for the afternoon. Should be a good way to get myself back into things before heading off for my full week further east. Thanks all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@japes1275, C31 can get a bit busy as it’s the main link in the direction you intend to go. Just stop 100m or so above when you can see it as there’s then the option to go back where you’ve come from. But it’s only been 10 mins worst when I’ve been there. Otherwise lifts not too bad. It is Austria after all, and they know how to do lifts.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy