Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do crèches / garderies check children's ages?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was delighted to see that ESF have a crèche in Morillon (Grand Massif) and had daydreams of popping our daughter there a couple of mornings and enjoying the slopes with husband, instead of taking in turns to ski/parent and barely see each other all holiday. She will be 16 months though and I've just seen that they only take children from 18 months. Daydream over? I'd try and blag it if I knew the odds were in our favour. She would be fine for a handful of mornings, she is at nursery full time at home. Weirdly extroverted, unlike her mum here. Will definitely fit into 18-24month clothes to nicely bolster the fib. What do we reckon are the chances I have to hand over her passport?!
(I think I will have to show proof of vaccinations which might involve some photoshopping of her DOB...)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
By all means try and blag it if you think your daughter will be happy. If push comes to shove you could probably plead ignorance about the age requirements.

But...

gmaj wrote:
I think I will have to show proof of vaccinations which might involve some photoshopping of her DOB...

Never do this. it amounts to forging a legal document in most countries. It could land you in serious trouble should your daughter end up needing to make an insurance claim or ending up in a hospital with identification docs that you have altered.

Not worth the risk.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gmaj, for that age would recommend looking at Esprit. For in house nurseries. Appreciate you then get constrained by location but only for a few years Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The French are keen on paperwork in these situations! And 2 months is a long time at that age. I wouldn't risk lying about her age. An experienced nursery worker might well spot that she's younger than anyone else.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can understand your enthusiasm for both wanting to ski but if this is the case why didn't you research childcare before booking the holiday? I certainly wouldn't lie about my child's age or photoshop certificates.

I expect there are UK tour operators who offer holidays including childcare for this age. If you have already committed to this holiday maybe there are other child care options in Morillon or Samoens which is nearby.

We went skiing when our son was 10 months and booked a UK tour operator with childcare included. Although I have to say it wasn't our best holiday as the childcare was poor and it was hard being in a catered chalet dependent on a not so good chalet host for meals. I'd recommend Snowbizz who we used when our kids were a bit older. Their childcare is excellent and the accommodation is self catering which I think works better with younger kids.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would imagine the 18 month requirement would be detailed on their insurance documents, so (god forbid), if something went wrong, their insurance would be invalidated. So surely they will check paperwork. This isn't like lying to get a kid a cheaper fare on a bus or a cheap meal.
Why not drop them an email to ask if there are any circumstances where they can (knowingly) take younger children?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
why didn't you research childcare before booking the holiday
that's what I'm doing now Very Happy

It's with friends at their family's chalet so the accommodation precedes other decisions and obviously removes the option of in-hotel childcare like espirit

I had read posts on here about parents telling "white lies" to get 2yr10monthers into ski school when the minimum age is 3 - so this implies that they didn't really check documents, and I wanted to know if anyone had first-hand experience of whether that is the case. Not sure if any people who have replied have actual experience of it either way. But seems like the educated guess is yes they'll check so if I'd have to hand over falsified scans of her red book I will indeed give it a miss!

Samoens Tourist Office have a list of babysitters on file that they have emailed me. But a nursery setting seems way more reassuring and fun. In the absence of a creche we will share a 6 day pass between us and take it in turns to parent/ ski. It's a bit of a shame for that area in this regard: they have (understandably) closed their Samoens nursery to holidaymakers so that local kids have priority, but also the ESF nursery in Morillon has increased their entry age from 6 months to 18 months. But as a PP states: it's only a few years Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gmaj, If you have a car on the holiday you could also check the childcare situation in Les Carroz.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@gmaj, does Grand Massif have an option for passes that you can share?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@gmaj, does Grand Massif have an option for passes that you can share?

Is it even a thing?

We'd be very interested in places that allow it.... Dog-sitting duties and not wanting to ski similar terrain and speeds mean husband and me don't ski at the same time - a list of resorts that allow pass sharing would be very useful Razz Laughing

Psst! I'm guessing your post was tongue in cheek, mine too....but on the off chance I've posted anyway...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

We'd be very interested in places that allow it

There's been some discussion about this on Snowheads but I can't remember any details. It's not allowed in many places AFAIK. Passes are routinely checked/scanned and trying to cheat the system could end up expensive.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We'd be very interested in places that allow it

There's been some discussion about this on Snowheads but I can't remember any details. It's not allowed in many places AFAIK. Passes are routinely checked/scanned and trying to cheat the system could end up expensive.....

We're late comers to skiing but in the last 10 years skiing from the motorhome, usually for 2-3 months at a time, pass sharing isn't something we've come across.
Usually we both have season passes (cost effective if you ski for around 12/15 days) but this year we're moving about a bit more, plus the flaky conditions over the last couple of years, so haven't bought any season passes.
Absolutely not interested in breaking any rules just to save a few euros Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy