Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long since waxed

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
So last time i actually went skiing was 2018, was booked for 2020, but good old Covid put a stop to that trip.
So in February 2021 i ordered a new pair of Salomon QST 85 skis in 177cm from Gliss shop for a silly low bargain price. To replace my Dynastar Outland 80's that i have had for a good few years.

The plan was to ski in 2021, but various issues put a stop to that, as did 2022 and 2023 and also this year 2024.

However we are now planning a biggy for 2025.

So the question is, my new Salomon QST's which came waxed and ready to roll, that have been stored in a dry warm room, no rust on edges. Should i get them waxed.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes
Simply becuase it is easy to say hours, day, time.
However years….. for £20 quidish in local currency, I would rather be on the slope sliding than experiencing grippy poo-poo & side stepping down the mountain for a wax.
Be a step ahead if timing works…. Drop them off arrival day & pick up on day 1 Very Happy rewax day 3 & then last day. You will be looked after for repeat booking. I always rewx after last day when possible & pick up before packing for home. Day 1 the next year - its not fershed waxed, but good enough for me to decide when to TLC my enjoyment rod.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't waxed my main knockabout piste skis since before COVID and they get 10-20days/yr. Still ski fine. HDPE is remarkably water-repellent and slidey in its natural "ski base" state.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd just ski them if already waxed. On the basis that you store wax at room temperature and it doesnt really degrade, then shouldnt be that different on the ski. If you are chasing tenths in the downhill it would be a different answer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The factory wax is shite
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
The factory wax is shite

Agree 10000%. Also the entire bottom and edge too.

Wax does in fact get damaged if where you store them gets too warm and/or is humid. That is why you always get a new wax job before the start of the season. Further putting candle wax on the edges at the end of the season prevents rust.

I wax everyday if possible. Not hot wax mind you since it is far too time consuming for recreational skiing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
The factory wax is shite

In fairness, it’s not shite … it does the job it’s designed to do which is keep the skis in good condition between manufacture and sale. It does that pretty well I think.

However, what it’s not good for is actual skiing. I’d always get a set of new skis properly serviced before skiing them … irrespective of how long they’ve been stored. That said, with reference to the OP, I would suggest NOT doing this until a relatively short time before you go since the factory wax will protect them better whilst they are stored.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. Food for thought
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blackblade wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
The factory wax is shite

In fairness, it’s not shite … it does the job it’s designed to do which is keep the skis in good condition between manufacture and sale. It does that pretty well I think.

However, what it’s not good for is actual skiing. I’d always get a set of new skis properly serviced before skiing them … irrespective of how long they’ve been stored. That said, with reference to the OP, I would suggest NOT doing this until a relatively short time before you go since the factory wax will protect them better whilst they are stored.

Agree. I always get new skis properly serviced, including the base redone, before using them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skimachine, each to their own, but I totally disagree with you Laughing Laughing

Based on 40 odd years of sliding around both on boards and skis, 15 or so seasons and still counting, and probably buying at least one pair of skis each season, but I don't race?!

I'm also very competitive, so believe me if I at all felt my skis were holding me back schussing along a Chemin I'd give them a quick going over.

Apart from that at the end of the season it's a scrape and wax, edges etc

Come Spring if I feel skis are a bit sluggish I might put a more appropriate wax fit the temps.

OH has DPS skis that have the Phantom glide finish and they're going well after two seasons!

Next set of new skis* in a couple of weeks and I'll, as ever be doing danada to them Laughing

I'll also be testing numerous skis as well so will ask if they've been prepared, though I do know that a couple of suppliers are very intense, and will service them after each tester has ridden the skis.

*admittedly a Pure touring ski Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 15-01-24 8:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hadn't realised it was just manufacturer "waxed", would defo get them waxed on that basis. Having done the wax after every day/race run thing for a few years, having my edges on point is far more important to me now than wax. Now I do hot wax once I return (every 6 days skiing), and mid week rub on of something which my heart tells me makes a difference whilst my head says it is probably gone in two runs!

Moisture in a hydrophobic wax was not something I had thought overly likely.....? However on the basis that I have been known to just ski the wax off rather than scrape (always amazed how after a couple of runs most of the visible excess has gone) I will not lose any sleep!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimachine, base grind out of the box? Yikes. I would agree on getting edges set
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's a hot 50/50 split topic on SH.

Personally I don't wax new skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wax new skis? Absolutely! I usually do 4 cycles of saturation using a super soft wax...then the top coat is temp specific. Keep in mind, I am in Norway, and ski twice a week in the season.

I also apply a fresh coat every 2-3rd time they hit snow.

It makes a huge difference
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do most of my skiing from Selva. One of my first and last stops of any trip is to La Baita between the Pralongia lifts for a pintandwax. For about £12 you can get a hot wax whilst you get your snout round a beer.
ski holidays
At the recent SIGB ski test in La Clusaz I asked the question to the ski distributors there about new skis and out of the box wax and it was so unanimous, in that there is no need to re-wax, I stopped asking the question as I almost felt foolish asking it!

And as for the base grind question, well let's just say I only asked that one once!
snow report
I'll wax once a season. ski circa 6 weeks a season. Ski prep is over rated in my opinion.
latest report
I'm definitely in the camp of effective and frequent waxing if looking for maximum performance. Which means when my daughter is racing.

Recreational skiing I do wax them for a weeks piste skiing. I'm not convinced it is absolutely necessary, but it's part of the routine and quite pleasant/easy as there are 3 of us doing it together. Plus if we have had Scottish skiing between trips the bases tend to get very dirty so worth doing anyway.

MUCH more important for piste skiing are edges. Especially if you are on man made snow. My wife is especially sensitive to this (ex-racer), and if I get away with only resharpening after 2 days that's a win (and only achievable with selective hearing). Likewise my daughter will notice but she takes care of her own kit. The boys will ski on any old rubbish and don't care unless it is icy and the rest of us are skiing fast. Most of the time, if sober enough, I will give the edges a quick going over every evening.

Spring is different where it definitely helps to wax with something temperature appropriate. But again only if your looking for performance and not just cruising to lunch. I care less as in spring I'm either day touring/off piste, or cruising to and from a long lunch so performance is just not an issue.

The truth is most recreational skiers are not held back by whether their skis have been waxed every day, or week, or month. But many enjoy the process and get pleasure from taking care of their kit which I appreciate is part of the fun.
snow conditions
@zikomo, Word on the street is I should tickle my edges up more regularly. I do have all the relevant kit and knowledge to do so but just really can't be fussed with it. I wonder what % more performance one gets from polishing up the edges every other day over not.
snow conditions
Baron von chippy wrote:
@zikomo, Word on the street is I should tickle my edges up more regularly. I do have all the relevant kit and knowledge to do so but just really can't be fussed with it. I wonder what % more performance one gets from polishing up the edges every other day over not.

Tbh it very much depends on the type of skiing you are doing. Every day is not going to be necessary or really beneficial for anyone that does not carve on steep firmpack/icy slopes. Icy slopes, man-made snow and lots of side-slipping can be hard on edges. I would say in general give them a touch up mid week. And just check how sharp and uniform the edges, and do them if you notice dings or blunt. It is not uncommon for me to recommend a service when teaching higher level intermediates later in a week.

BUT please oh please do a proper job, making especially sure to remove the hanging burr. There are few things that will muck up your skiing in a more frustrating way than having a hanging burr!
latest report
@zikomo, I used to sharpen and wax between runs when racing on plastic, How much it helped I'll never know. I did also obsess about having fresh edges and regularly waxed in times gone past.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy