Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes La Grande Motte - Glacier run to Blues?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone! We’re off to Tignes in March and I’ve been looking at the piste map but can’t quite work something out. Is it possible to get the Grande Motte cable car up to 3456m, head down the Glacier red run and join the blues, génépy or rabotch? Or do the three not really join? Puzzled

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes you can keep right onto Genepy, which is lovely.
Keep your speed up was you get further down the run. There is a flat section coming up. If you spot a piste off to the right that will merge then hit mach 10
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can't ski Glacier Red directly onto the génépy or rabotch blues.

But what you can do is ski from Glacier Red onto Rimaye and then get the Vanoise chair back upto the base of the Grande Motte cable car and then join the blues.

The question is why would you want to, those blues aren't great, quite rolling and narrow. In terms of difficulty if you can handle the steepness of Glacier Red you'd have no issues with Double-M, which is an easier red in Tignes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Yes you can keep right onto Genepy, which is lovely.
Keep your speed up was you get further down the run. There is a flat section coming up. If you spot a piste off to the right that will merge then hit mach 10

I stand corrected, have never done that way in all the years of being in resort
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@0dyssey, I think Frosty may be misunderstanding something. I have just skied down form the top of the cable car at 3456, as you come down the glacier you have 2 options: 1 - down Rimaye which takes you to the bottom of the Vanoise Chair which you can then go up to Rabotch/Genepy. Option 2 ski to the right down Leisse - but it is unpisted and either dark red or black depending on the conditions. You then take the Leisse Chair up to Rabotch and Genepy. The Panoramique Chair does not run in the winter season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't know Tignes well but can testify that Double M is not generally a problem for not-very-brave people!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@0dyssey, as others have said, the red down from the top is the trickier red. If you're not comfortable on Double M, you'll unlikely be comfortable on the red from the top.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, you are of course spot on. Last time I did it was from the top of the funicular, NOT top of Grande Motte.

Confusion due to senility
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But if getting down from the top bothers you, don't let that stop you going up for the glorious views and going back down on the (empty.....) funicular. And there are some easy runs on the glacier (though not everyone loves T-bars).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
But if getting down from the top bothers you, don't let that stop you going up for the glorious views and going back down on the (empty.....) funicular. And there are some easy runs on the glacier (though not everyone loves T-bars).

Unfortunately all but one of the T-bars on the glacier have been removed and 3500 wasn't running when we were there for the PSB
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you can ski from the top of the Grand Motte down towards the top of the funi area then really you have done the tricky part and might as well carry on down Double M to Val Claret!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Huge huge thank you to everyone that’s responded! I’ll be sticking with the reds down to Val Claret but good to know for our potentially less confident friends that there’s the options for blues if required from the top of the Vanoise chair lift or the option to take the cable car/funicular back down. Have an amazing weekend all!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Genepy is the most scenic and enjoyable run from the GM irrespective of colour in my opinion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@T Bar, and quietest too
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy