Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lauterbrunnen

Poster: A snowHead
Down in the valley halfway between Murren and Wengen by the look of it. Has anybody stayed there? Is it as quiet as it looks apres-ski? How often is the run down from Murren open? Easy to get up to Wengen? Murren?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the ice perv, yes, stayed there before. Nice village, some apres - a couple of good bars, but you might get more of a party atmosphere up at Murren/Wengen/Klienne Schiedegg (which I never spell right)

It is easy to get up to Wengen and Murren - the trains go regularly, and it's a nice relaxing way to start and end the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did. A month last season...

My mean reasons being the very cheap hotel Horner. (No other way to afford that long a stay).
The Horner also has a pub and a dancing, which basically make up the apres-ski posibilities in Lauterbrunnen. There are a bunch of other Hotels and chalets in Lauterbrunnen as well, from cheap (Horner, Staubach, ... to very luxurious: Silberhorn (not to be confused with Silberhorn in Wengen)) which MAY have bars, but as for Lauterbrunnen, Horner is the place to be i think (bar open till 12:30, dancing open till 2:30).

Access to and from Wengen is 15 minutes by train (included in skipass). First up at 6:55, last down around 1 AM.
For some the last down train may be a bit early, but for me it is quite okay... Basically you can benefit from all the Wengen Apres-ski and then finish off at Horner >Smile .

Access to Muerren through the Bus to stechelberg (+-8 mins) and then the Schilthornbahn up (through Gimmelwald, Muerren, Birg ending at the Schilthorn)
Or through the next season new Gondola from Lauterbrunnen centre and the connecting adhesion stretch at the Gruetschalp to Winteregg chair or on to Muerren. What is best here depends on where you want to ski, Schilthorn is not exactly for the beginners Smile

Even access to Grindelwald/First is doable, but not as swift. options are up to Mannlichen (via wengen gondola), down to grindelwald-grund, bus to firstbahn.
or Train to zweilutschinen, connecting train to Grindelwald (connection = excelent) and then walk 2 stops or bus to Firstbahn.

When you buy a full jungfrau region pass every bit of available transport is included. the partial "Mannlichen/grindelwald" and "Muerren/schilthorn" passes cost only a small bit less and don't include the Bus between Lauterbrunnen/stechelberg and trains between Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, If you Apres ski at the Kleine Scheidegg, I hope you booked your hotel there (there are one or 2 i believe) or bring good torches as you'll have to get your way down without the train, or party till the sun rises Smile

I have to agree with the relaxation the trains provide... scenery is stunning, every inch of it (will soon post summer pics of this, watch the Jungfrau region thread), i never noticed the time it takes to train all the way up to the Kleine Scheidegg, although I prever the gondola to Maennlichen.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Ronald, what time of year were you there? Could you ski back to Lauterbrunnen? I appreciate it probably varies from season-to-season but it would give me some idea of snow conditions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow conditions been relatively good this year. First time in 10 years the Inferno downhill (from schilthorn to Lauterbrunnen) was actually able to race to lauterbrunnen, instead of stopping at Winteregg. The race is held late januari.

I was there from 27th of Januari till 12th of Februari and 23th of februari till 8th of march and was able to get down to lauterbrunnen a fair few times... Mostly skied at the Wengen side though, visited the Murren side 7 times judging the lift stats website, and 5 times hit First Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the ice perv, the run down from Murren to Lauterbrunnen was open for much of the season this year, helped no doubt by the addition of snow machines, however this was in no small way due to the early very cold temps which allowed a good base to be established, it would be wrong of me to suggest that this situation is common, generally the best time for the region is February, the advantage the area has is that many of the pistes are over high mountain pasture, this means that even fairly limited snowfall can provide enough snow to ski
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. I heard a rumour about a new gondola going from Lauterbrunnen up to Murren: is this true or is it bloke-said-down-the-pub-rubbish?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's some sort of cable car, it is replacing the old funicular which was having problems with an unstable slope and will be finished in time for this coming winter season, you will still need to change to the train at the top to take you to Murren
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is true

http://w3.jungfraubahn.ch/webcam/

You can see it being built !

Have been to Lauterbrunnen every easter for the past 5 years, even had fresh powder and snow in the valley!

As has been stated very easy access to Murren, Wengen and Grindelwald is not that bad, 20 mins with the ever efficient Swiss trains
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I didn't realise people went on holiday there always seemed a little quiet to me...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the ice perv, I stayed 10 days over the New Year in the Hotel Schutzen in Lauterbrunnen, which I can recommend for good value (and good food! Very Happy ). As others have said, it is quite easy to get up to Wengen or Murren if based in Lauterbrunnen, and equivalent accomodation is of course cheaper than what you would pay if staying in either of the two higher resorts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the ice perv, I went to Lauterbrunnen in January. The trains to Wengen took 17 minutes to the village, where you could then walk about 200m through to the gondola up to Mannlichen (another 10mins ish) or it took 45 minutes in total if you stayed on the train all the way from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg. The trains ran about every 25 minutes or so.

We also had a bus (or 15 minute walk) at the Lauterbrunnen end, and the ski - door time was at least an hour.

The journey to Murren was marginally quicker.

Lauterbrunnen seemed quiet, but I was in a huge chalet and we made our own entertainment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the ice perv, the run down from Murren isn't the most exciting, even when it is open. It's a track all the way.

I love Lauterbrunnen...but then my idea of Apres-ski is a good book and an early night!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf, It's a cable car alright, just an interesting one. Chris has sent me drawings some time ago. The cargo boxes that used to go on the funicular and adhesion train will now simply be put underneath the cable car, and lifted off using the forklifter at gruetschalp.

Remember sleeping in Lauterbrunnen doesn't mean you have to party in Lauterbrunnen. transport goes late enough to party in Muerren or Wengen or Grindelwald Smile

Stay in Lauterbrunnen gives more flexibility, offset by longer transit times to and from piste...
snow report
Ronald, does it? I recall the one time we didn't prebook for the inferno that they had special late night lifts running for thos ewho weren't pulling "une nuit blanche"
snow report
David Murdoch, Events are different then normal days, aren't they Smile

I do recall my friends saying after Lauberhorn they had trains at least at 3 am in the night.. Normally though, it doesn't run that late
snow report
Ronald, quite correct, special events will mean late running transport, likewise trains run later to Wengen on Friday and Saturday nights (not sure about Sunday).

If staying in Lauterbrunnen it's worth noting which trains/cablecars meet up with trains up from Interlaken and trying to avoid those as that way you get a much less packed transport up
latest report
The locals tell me that if you miss the last train up to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen then the fastest way up is to walk up the old railway track
snow report
riverman, yes but mind you don't fall on the track cos it will really hurt.

A friend of mine tells me that one of the locals used to do a neat trick with the old trains, he'd make a bet with a tourist in Lauterbrunnen that he could be in Wengen before the chap on the train, he did it to, usualy he was found outside the eiger hotel drinking his prize. All I can say having walked both up and down the route in the past is that he must have been really really fit
ski holidays
D G Orf, REALLY REALLY FIT

I'm not exactly the lousiest sportsman around (but not the best either) and I took 36 mins from Schuetzenbach to Hotel Eiger, through the forest path.

Or Were the old trains that much slower?
ski holidays
Ronald, I think they took about 22 mins perhaps a little faster, meaning that this chap was getting up in about 20 mins, given the typical time it takes to get served outside the hotel eiger wink
ski holidays
Just incase you don't visit the Jungrau Region thread here is the link to the latest pictures of the construction of the cablecar from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp -

http://w3.jungfraubahn.ch/galleries/BLM_Juli06
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy