Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Bumps Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, spurred on by a few comments in other threads (Good Mogul Skis, Knee problems) - I thought I'd post here what I would say is an example of some very good (technical, not freestyle) bump skiing.

What I look for:

1. Smooth
2. Quiet Upper body
3. Deflection of CoM from side to side
4. Round Turn Shape
5. Rhythmical
6. Powerful steering/turning effort from the lower joints
7. Descent in the fall line

Don't be misled by the apparent ease of the skiing - this is a steep slope, with large bumps!

Right Click, Save Target As - for some bizzaire reason, you may have to rename the extension .wmv if your player doesn't like it.

Feel free to critique.

4 MB approx.

PS: Does anyone know how to display it here as an embedded video, with stop/start controls?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 11-07-06 20:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight wrote:
PS: Does anyone know how to display it here as an embedded video, with stop/start controls?

You can't (at the minute)... but it's on the list somewhere after the ability to download PMs... Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight, very nice.

I don't think a great deal of criticism will arise!

Although, ( wink ) is it the camera angle or does skier #3 have slightly assymetrical arm movements/positions? Just to nit pick you understand...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skier #3 has been one of my trainers over the past few years.................... Very Happy

To nit pick - in terms of timing his right pole plant is slightly rushed and not as progressive as his left, and his left hand could do with not being dropped.

But that is nit picking in the extreme as it doesn't seem to adversly affect whats going on with his feet Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight, I can only get the vid to run for about half a second & then it stops - & I've tried it in the .wmv as well. Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try viewing the file with a different viewer, or downloading the file again incase it got corrupt, or view a copy below:

Click here to watch

(Change View Size to Original)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, you do make me laugh! (in a [v] good way). All three are ripping great lines - BTW are you one of the participants?

At risk of great castigation and criticism, here's me attempting the same sort of thing...here

For those that know the run it's on La Leisse in Tignes but doesn't look nearly as steep as your stuff. Yours is much better filmed. Very nice, I think.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, a few punters traversing across your line there! I'm sure you didn't yell at them though:)
The person who filmed that needed to make more use of the camera's "zoom" function, perhaps....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight, great clip, all three are very good bumps skiers.
No. 1 is definitely the smoothest - a lovely touch on the skis.
No. 2's movements look a touch more jerky, and the turns not quite as round - but perhaps that is just because of the lankier body shape.
Skier No. 3 shows an occasional hint of a "down-stem" with the left ski (ie. the tail skidding out) when finishing right-hand turns. (This happens on turns 4, 6, and 8 in the sequence.) Difficult, in this short glimpse of this skier, to tell whether that is an alignment problem or is possibly caused by a touch of hip rotation. Or maybe it's just one of those quirky habits that people have...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

BTW are you one of the participants?

No, I got out of the event as I had to work that day Very Happy

Very nice skiing, DM! For my $0.02 worth I'd work on reducing the hip's involvement (but that's nit picking) NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, David Murdoch, Very good ! Made my back hurt just watching Sad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
David Murdoch, nice colourful pants there, dude Toofy Grin

Black ones in the wash I presume ? wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, that was before the yellow ones wore our and I had to resort to black.

We may remedy this for the coming season!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wahey! I think I saw myself in that video. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Were you one of the frightened people traversing quickly across, to get out of the way of the maniac in the yellow pants Very Happy
snow report
Martin Bell, My day (week? month? year? decade?...) is made. Martin Bell implies I'm a maniac!

Yeeeehhhh...Haaaaawwwwww!!

I do think I was skiing politely I hasten to add... Puzzled
snow report
RockyRobin, As mentioned before, (once I finally had lessons in bumps) I was taught what I believe is the classic "avalement" technique. My understanding is that a modification of this (higher speed, higher frequency) is what competition bumps skiers are doing. It's not easy to tell when not watching in slo-mo.

A critical question (for me) was, "How do you turn on one bump?" Previously I had attacked them as a series of turns. Once I cracked turning on a single bump properly, well the rest was easy(ier). Sorry that it's in French but this illustrates . I believe it's Damien Albert & as you see, his legs are reasonably spaced side to side - and you can't really argue that he doesn't know what he's doing...

This thread was started with some fine bumps skiing. IMO, those guys only appear to be carving. I find that on softer snow I scrub some speed off by skidding across the top of each bump - as well as through absorption. I definitely don't think you should be jamming your tips into the things. Smoothly does it...
snow conditions
The video at the top of the thread shows scarving, ie; a steered carve. So yes, they guys are all on their edges, but they are actively steering their skis.

Not a clean carve, nor a skidded pivot turn, in a sort of braquage type technique.

Remember that in this video we are talking about technical bump skiing, not freestyle moguls.

Also - there is an element of what RockyRobin was talking about in another thread. Aiming their tips into the (frontside) of the bump. This can be seen nearer the top of the run, where the bumps are slightly bigger, and the explosion of snow produced.

So, these two things combined (scraving and absorbtion) provide speed control.
ski holidays
veeeight, scraving, now there's a new word for me. Yes, that's exactly (I think) what I mean. Feels a bit like braquage - almost as one is using ones skis as windscreen wipers to scrape speed rather than rain off.

My belief, albeit limited, was that freestyle moguls was an extreme extension of this overall technique???
snow report
veeeight, Damian was French moguls champion at least once - now does freeride and moguls and freestyle when pushed! Have recommended him to snowHeads for guiding once or twice - but you have to be brave! Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, Very brave by the sounds of things!

David Murdoch, My definition of scarving isn't windscreen wipering Sad . Windscreen wipering suggests to me either heel-pushing with the tips as pivot points, or braquage. Rather, imagine putting your ski onto edge as if in a carve, then try and "twist" your toe out of the front binding. You will now be steering your ski around the turn, whilst on the edge. Scarving Very Happy

Damian's technique is more of a freestlye moguls approach, lots of avalement, lots of vertical movement.

Neither is right or wrong, just different techniques, for different purposes.
ski holidays
veeeight, David Murdoch, I agree - neither is right or wrong; you have to play with various techniques in different types of mogulfields.

It has to be said that in veeeight's video, the bumps are pretty nicely rounded and well-spaced. The skiers have the option of varying their lines and not necessarily staying in the rut-line.

In a narrow, deep rut-line, the kind that tends to be gouged out when a lot of freestyle-type bumps skiers are using a run, the rounder "scarving" tactic may not work, and you may have no choice but to use more purely pivoted turns; more like the David Murdoch video.
ski holidays
Martin Bell, or just to be thrown in the air, of course Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
Have spent week skiing with Damien a few years ago. Awesome to watch him do the zipper line on his 195 Dynastars Pros (fat offpiste tools). If you can ski join him for a week and he will show you how to have fun. Highly recommended but you have to be up for it. Have a look at some videos of his clients he posts on his website.
latest report
Those photo sequences on Damien's website are excellent.
In the mogul sequence I think he displays these:
1. Smooth
2. Quiet Upper body
3. Deflection of CoM from side to side
4. Round Turn Shape
5. Rhythmical
6. Powerful steering/turning effort from the lower joints
7. Descent in the fall line

...except for number 4, and perhaps not a massive amount of 3. But as I mentioned before, there are some rut lines which will not allow the rounder turn shape.
snow conditions
Wow that was a mission, I had to go download a new player just to watch this one!

Number one is on the money!

Solid and centred balance fore and aft
Controlled speed of line and super flowing
Letting his legs do all the work (quite upper body)
Effective ski snow contact
Great absorption and extension
He got rhythm!!

Really nice bump skier

Chris Fecher
www.purefreeride.com
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Damian says he looked at this thread yesterday (I told him about it). I'll have to tell him to look at it again now two top pros have made nice comments! Very Happy
snow report
Martin Bell, I would agree and say that No:4 (round turn shape) is limited by the ruts, but the deflection (No:3) isn't what I would call far-reaching, he pretty much keeps his feet under him as opposed to extending laterally. Again, due to the terrain, this might not have been possible, nor a technique he might have wished to use! And to be *really* picky - No:6 (steering effort from the legs) - again, unclear from a photo sequence (disclaimer), but I think I see quite a bit of hip action (more on his right turns than left)! Razz

Great bump skiing nevertheless!

skierchris, Are you referring to the video at the top of the thread, or the photo sequence of Damian?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight wrote:
And to be *really* picky - No:6 (steering effort from the legs) - again, unclear from a photo sequence (disclaimer), but I think I see quite a bit of hip action (more on his right turns than left)!

Hey, being picky is what internet ski forums are all about!
Now you mentioned it I look closer and see it too. Of course, we're basing this on seeing just two turns, and so it is impossible to tell whether it is an ingrained trait or merely a momentary adjustment - or perhaps just a result of a slightly off-centre camera angle. Video is certainly better than even a sequence of stills.
latest report
Never in the history of snowHeads threads, have I felt so unqualified to comment. Shocked
ski holidays
Hey

I was checking out the movie footage which is great, the stills are really nice too.

Just get in there and rip it up!

Just down from a great day at Treble cone

Sorry guys

Chris Fecher
ski holidays
skierchris, Thanks for clearing that up! I thought you were watching the video clip too, but easiski, confused me monentarily! Blush Yup, skier #1 is on the money!

Kramer, Laughing This is what comes of hours and hours of watching and developing skiers! My colleagues take the p*ss out of me as I only ever seem to need to see 3 turns in a skier to know what I'm gonna do nex to develop in that skier!

*But* this *is* really nit-picking Razz , and with the addition of a carefully crafted diagram, will turn into an epic (TM) post!
ski holidays
This doesn't qualify for epic status until people start using "centripetal" and other words that no-one understands
snow report
I'm not going to say what I was going to say.
latest report
veeeight wrote:
*But* this *is* really nit-picking Razz , and with the addition of a carefully crafted diagram, will turn into an epic (TM) post!

That's EpicSki™ to you!
ski holidays
easiski, what were you going to say?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, If you want Epic then p*ss off there! wink

Kramer, I'm not saying - it will provoke another row.
snow conditions
easiski, I've already got it!

...oh, and say what you want, I'd love to watch a good row on here - this place has been civil for a few weeks now...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, That's because we might not want to be shoved off it!
ski holidays
easiski, this place can't survive without you!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy