Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Help! Not new to skiing but only a few years under my belt having learned later in life. I was never very confident but managed until last year on our annual ski trip to Norway I completely lost all confidence I was uncomfortable changing boots, skis and was just overwhelmed by fear! Is this normal Puzzled We were with friends who were complete beginners and they were whizzing by me rather embarrassingly Embarassed
Anyway, fast forward to this year and we are looking at skiing for the Easter break but new location (as someone mentioned that this might help) and I am going back to lessons (private) as a beginner. My 3 year old will be starting too at ski school (she may be the cause of my now fear!), my older daughter and husband are confident so can manage without lessons. So my question is location? We want to drive as we live close to the tunnel but where do we go that helps me get my mojo back otherwise I will be cross country skiing by myself in the future!! I have been focusing on Saas Fee but worried about the lack of Green runs and mention of tricky runs between easier Blue runs. It is guaranteed snow and sounds lovely but is it right for me?
Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weird, if anything I’d suggest Norway for minimum fear as I thought the slopes aren’t steep or long and it’s not full of mad drunk teenagers like the Alps!

Get a private lesson or three, tell them exactly your fear and where it might have come from so they can work on it (technique and or counseling). And ask them where are appropriate slopes to practice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't want to put you off Saas Fee as I do really like it and you can't argue with it's snow-sure altitude, but I took a big group at Easter last year and the beginners really struggled to get in the zone. There was only really one long blue run that they liked which was a gondola ride and a long T-bar away. The resort is great but it's hard to avoid the odd bit of steep red tbh. These also tend to be the busier sections where the pistes come together which is never ideal.

Something else to consider is it was quite icy in the mornings at Easter last year. So Ice and potentially steeper sections can really knock people's confidence. My 4 year old found the ice a huge pain as he couldn't really stop himself from sliding down even the most shallow of slopes! We switched to doing afternoons and it was much better then as the sun softened everything up. It may not be like this this Easter of course.

We all had a good week in the end once we'd worked out where to / not to go. I enjoyed the long top to bottom runs and the scenery is absolutely incredible! We stayed in a great chalet the other side of town and rented lockers by the lifts for the week (not cheap but 100% worth it!).

Good luck with your search. Cervinia is good at easter as the super high pistes aren't very steep.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Orange200, We were hoping to drive on this occasion but Norway is perfect in so many ways not least for avoiding drunk teenagers on the slopes! Although maybe I should try a few drinks on skies as it might help wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ryanbakewell52, have you been to Cervinia yourself?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Barnacle, yes. Stayed at the Hotel Mon Reve (and didn't venture in to the town hardly at all if I remember rightly!)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Barnacle, Look at Montgenevre, sounds perfect for your needs. Easter is early this year and I was there late March last year. The main part of the resort faces north and the snow was still good there last March. Lots of wide greens and blues which are great for returning confidence and both of the ski schools are excellent. My husband was having a bit of a confidence crisis before we went so booked himself into ski school with ESF and it brought him on no ends. I had a private lesson with A Peak ski school and found them really good too. I've never driven there but it' supposed to be fairly straightforward. Or if you fly to Turin it's just 1 hour 15 min transfer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would advise against Saas Fee for small ones and nervous skiers. In the same area you have the small but perfectly formed Grimentz and Vercorin. The latter very small but great for nervous folk and groms.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you go for Saas Fee, I know an instructor there that will do you private lessons. Native English speaker (if you count Scottish Laughing ) and i'm pretty confident he'd do a good job for you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am also a Saas Fee fan but agree with @Ryanbakewell52 that it doesn't necessarily offer the easiest progression from the beginner blues at bottom to more slopes higher up. The Langfluh blue is pretty easy and a good slope to move on to higher up though there's a long drag lift to access it. Saas Fee is absolutely beautiful and with good lessons you'd probably be fine and most of the time the snow is in great condition even late in the season.

I'd highly recommend Eskimos ski school if you do go, always had a good experience with them. All round it isn't cheap then nor is Norway (I understand, not been) so hopefully ok for you.

Cervinia is also a good suggestion, lots of long cruisy runs, lovely mountain restaurants and option to get over to Zermatt (skiing harder though) and again beautiful scenery. Long drive mind.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with the posters above. Saas Fee is a fantastic place with stunning scenery and a lovely village.

It is one of the best places in the alps to learn to ski - as the nursery slopes are extensive, separated from the rest of the pistes, and snow-sure. My 4 children all learnt to ski there. But it is not the place for nervous/lower level intermediates. Almost all the runs have steep sections and the blue run skiing at altitude is limited. Once out of the nursery slopes my kids had private instruction (and I am an instructor myself), so progress was rapid enough that this was not a limitation for us.

I would not recommend it at all given your description of yourself. There are many places that will suit you better.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Barnacle, if you're wanting to go to Switzerland then Wengen would also be worth a look. Again very scenic, less guarantee on good snow late in the season but fairly reliable. Lots of good blues and reds in the Mannlichen area and the lovely train up through the mountain up to the top of the glacier is a good non skiing afternoon. Another beautiful location, see long running thread elsewhere on here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy