Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbies I’m afraid

Poster: A snowHead
Total newbies I’m afraid, family if 4, two adults, two boys 11 & 8. Boys are keen for a winter holiday and try skiing.
Big question is, where’s good to start, when in the season etc etc. we’re thinking France, possibly alpe D’huez. Seems to have good runs for beginners, ski schools etc? Would match work or is that two late in the season for the lower beginner slopes?
It’s a total minefield of where to begin!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First thing and probably the most important thing when you're starting......what's your budget??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
when are you going? you ask if it would be too late in the season but don't say when
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
March? When in March? First week will still be French school holidays and both busy and expensive.

A good place to begin is with the offerings of the big tour operators. Their "beginners weeks" can be good value and remove a lot of the worry and faff. It used to be fun leafing through a pile of brochures. Now, I suppose, you do all that online.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From what we’ve looked at online so far I think £4k should hopefully go a long way to it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, that should have said March. We are flexible with when in March though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dpetchey, Normally I would say end of March/early April as a good time to go. Alpe d'Huez is a good place but I recall the beginner slopes a bit south facing so may become very soft towards the end of the day. Across the valley in Les 2 Alpes may be better as the beginner slopes are at the top of the mountain (access by cable car) are both very high and west facing. Remember the factor 50
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
go somewhere chocolate box
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dpetchey, don’t be apologetic about being new to something, only complete douche bags will look down their noses at someone new and the just need to be ignored. Ask every question you think you need to and someone will have the answer or suitable advice. The more info you can provide about your general plans or ideas will extract more accurate responses. The advanced search option is also very useful.

For a first ever trip my absolute best advice will be chose a location in whichever resort you go to which offers minimal walking in ski boots, minimal fuss to get to a lift and ski school meeting point. The less hassle you experience the more likely it will be a success.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you, that all makes complete sense. And yes we would want to reduce the ‘hassle’ especially with two boys eager to get learning!
I think we’re looking at self catering, and as you say, good beginner slopes that are easily accessible, and of course ski schools. From someone that’s never looked into it, there’s so much choice! We’re familiar with France from summer holidays which is why we’re choosing France.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167269
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All I would say is, forget Christmas-NY week.

Nearly every resort will have instructors and nursery slopes. Discussions in the thread I put above.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alpe d’Huez has a good beginner area. I personally wouldn’t be overly concerned at the South facing aspect. It might get a bit soft later in March in the afternoons but, when learning, it’s also important to consider comfort and being in Sunshine can make a difference, as opposed to being cold.

Although the beginner area is a decent size and perfect for learning, it can become a cut through later in the day as other skiers head off the mountain, back to resort. I also thought that the progression from beginner slopes to the wider ski area was quite a step up.

There are plenty of accommodation options and it’s worth checking out those that have ski in/out locations (or very close to it) that access the beginner areas.

Overall, I’d say Alpe d’Huez is worth consideration.

I’d also recommend La Rosiere. Smallish town, decent altitude for conditions, South facing so warm, good beginner areas and fairly well regarded ski schools.

Serre Chevalier (Monetier or Chantemerle) has good beginner areas, nice progression slopes, the towns are traditional and mostly unspoiled. I learned to ski there (22 years ago) and it remains one of my favourite ski areas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If possible, the first week after the French school holidays would be about the perfect timing. That means from 10 or 11 March. That's one of the best weeks of the year.

Next question - are you thinking of a package holiday, or putting together your own holiday DIY. If the latter, flying, or driving? If you are accustomed to driving to France for holidays, there's a lot to commend driving. People putting together DIY trips often overlook the cost of transfer from airport to resort, which can cost a lot more than expected.

There are probably hundreds of French resorts which would suit you fine. That's a third order question.....

Presumably you will all be in ski school all week? That makes sense. And means that choice of ski school will be on of the key decisions - and might be worth spending a bit to ensure you are in smaller groups. Some resorts have more choice than others.

Your boys are the perfect age to learn - they will be much better than you by the end of the week. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been in ADH twice and the skiing is great but both times the beginners with us had a terrible time with the ESF (ski school).

I'd be championing somewhere like Kitzbuhel, St Johan and Ischgl in Austria...it's slightly late in the season for Andorra but Pas De La Casa is brilliant value for beginners.
snow report
There are plenty of good ski schools in France and the OP wants to go to France. But it is worth thinking upfront about choice of ski schools and budgeting for groups smaller than the typical ESF 12.
ski holidays
Skiing is allowed outside of France
snow report
Earlyish in March tends to be a decent time to ski in most resorts.
Learn to ski packages can be good value as pointed out above.

A package holiday will usually include Flights , transfer and accommodation but on top of this you have to budget for lift pass ski hire and ski school.Though the learn to ski packages may cover these. Then living expenses such as food and drink which if you eat on the mountain and restaurants can add up to quite a lot for a family.

Some resorts have free lifts for complete beginners but these will usually only be useful for the first day or so and you may need either a full or restricted lift pass for the rest of the week . I don't know how it works in Alpe D'Huez but would check with the ski school. Generally if you are budget conscious a smaller resort may well work out significantly cheaper than a large one and give you just as good an experience skiing as a beginner and possibly feel a bit less daunting.
snow report
Yes, oddly enough I don't think anybody is questioning that. But the OP wants to go to France.
snow conditions
If you're considering AdH can I suggest you check it's little neighbour, Oz en Oisans. AdH itself is quite big and can feel it, getting busy at peak time in peak weeks (like school holidays when you'll be going). Oz is much quieter, as most skiiers go around, rather than through it - and there's a lovelly green drag lift tucked at the side of the main beginner slope that's often empty and keeps running quite late.
ski holidays
Not sure where you live in the UK but if you're a complete beginner then there's masses of value from getting to an indoor slope and being taught the basics before you go. Even if it's a couple of hours of family tuition as a group it's worth it if you can get to a slope.

Lessons in resort are a great shout (all the big French resorts have decent ski schools for complete beginners with enough to cater for whatever your development progress is from what I've seen).

We're in Tignes at the minute and plenty of options for beginners between here and Val D'Isere.
ski holidays
@Dpetchey, If you are flying, rather driving or coming by train, La Clusaz is a good beginners option with a short transfer from Geneva.
Or, with longer transfers, one of the smaller resorts with connections into a larger area, such as La Tania, St Martin de Belleville (3 Valleys) Montalbert, Montachavin, Champagny (La Plagne) Villaroger, Vallandry/Plan Peisey (Les Arcs)
All have ESF ski schools, most have independents, some have British ski schools, such as https://limesnowsports.com in La Plagne.
snow conditions
@Dpetchey,
This? https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164759
latest report
Mjit wrote:
If you're considering AdH can I suggest you check it's little neighbour, Oz en Oisans. AdH itself is quite big and can feel it, getting busy at peak time in peak weeks (like school holidays when you'll be going). Oz is much quieter, as most skiiers go around, rather than through it - and there's a lovelly green drag lift tucked at the side of the main beginner slope that's often empty and keeps running quite late.

This where we taught our three kids to ski, or at least their instructor did. Great nursery slope area, tobogganing in the evening, traffic free village, and then the option to get up to AdH and Vaujany if they progress quickly. Well worth a check. La Rosiere also good for Easter and beginners.
snow report
I suspect La Rosiere could be busy in school hols as so many Brits go there. And it's very south facing. Never been to Oz en Oisans but it sounds lovely.
ski holidays
Regard’s equipment and clothing it’s sensible to not splash a fortune on new kit straight away. It really doesn’t much matter what your gear looks like or if it all matches.
Buy cheaply second hand or borrow outer layers. Have two pairs of ski socks each, wear alternate days and hang out to freshen on a balcony.

March tends to be a bit warmer so don’t think you’ll need high end thermal layers necessarily.

It sounds bleeding obvious but don’t ever tuck thermals into socks. You’ll get rucked up and end up with pressure points and sores on shins. Only socks go inside boots!

Have a few high calorie snacks in pockets. Learning to ski can be pretty tiring especially falling over and getting back up again. It’s hot work and a snack can save the day particularly for children.

If you go well and love skiing after your first time then it’s worth buying some decent kit to last years.
snow conditions
Im a bit biased, but would recommend Italy, plenty of easy places to ski for beginners, Pila is a good start, ski to door, easy resort and not expensive, Italian instructors always seem more keen to teach tha some French who like to pose lol ..
Our kids learned in santa caterina and always mention it with friends, sma.l resorts always better for kids and beginners, imo
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I suspect La Rosiere could be busy in school hols as so many Brits go there. And it's very south facing. Never been to Oz en Oisans but it sounds lovely.

Stayed on Oz 2 years ago and yes, it is quiet compared to AdH itself but is quite a nice ski area. I guess with boys 11 and 8 you are likely to be tied to school holidays(or maybe not wink ) so that will be last week in March (Easter Saturday is 30th).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learnt in Valloire and would recommend it for new skiers. The village is pretty, and there's enough going on, through it's not a party town. Most of the pistes are groomed quite immaculately and soft for the grade (I got a bit of a shock going to Val Thorens a few days later). It's fairly small, but large enough that you wouldn't get bored. It seemed like a friendly resort with few people bombing it down the easy runs. We went in late March, and though a few of the lower pistes were a bit thin, the pistes were in reasonable nick.
snow report
Jeez, thank you to all that have taken the time to reply! You are all so very helpful.
We would have no issue with driving as in the summer holidays we drive through France and Spain with our twin axle caravan. However because of this we never fly anywhere and so would like to fly for this one to give our boys the experience! So I think we’re probably looking for a package for ease the first time. Any suggestions for companies to use?
Date wise we should really go in school holidays but feel it will be less busy out of school hols, say March 9th for a week, and probably cheaper. Who’s to say this wouldn’t be a great educational trip for the boys anyway Very Happy !
Like I say this is totally out of our comfort zone so all tips and pointers very greatfully received. It’s so much better hearing it from seasoned skiers rather than company’s trying to sell the package deal Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
@Dpetchey, definitely better to avoid school holidays if you can, if only because of the price. Mid to late March I'd say is ideal, can get a bit soft/thin depending on where you are, but that's balanced by generally warmer weather just being a bit more tolerable.

If you're buying ski clothes then eBay, Decathlon and Sport Pursuit are good options. Just be aware that the latter is online only and some items have a significant delay before delivery because of the way they buy their stuff. It's generally pretty good and a decent price though.

Orange200 wrote:
All I would say is, forget Christmas-NY week.

Depends where you're going and when Christmas day falls. I was in Ski Amade for Christmas 2018...or 19...or 17...anyway, the days before Christmas were fairly quiet wherever we went, then from Boxing Day onwards it got busy. Had similar in Courchevel 2015, Christmas was the Friday and the whole week was easy. New Year week seems to always be stacked though IME.
latest report
@Dpetchey, we have the same age children. Yours will love it.
Our children started ages 6 and 9 and are now looking at booking our 6th holiday. Totally hooked.

My biggest recommendation is as @paulhinch, says above. Go to an indoor slope or dryslope in the UK and have some lessons before you go. That way you will make the most of your time abroad.

Lessons in the morning are good for kids. We've generally used ESF and been happy. Have a long lunch break and don't try and force the kids to go back out in the afternoon. We sometimes find the kids tired and not wanting to ski after ski school. By the time they've had a rest they are ready to go again.

Easter is a good time of year. Weather is better and warmer.

Second hand gear only worn for one holiday is plenty. Otherwise mountain warehouse sell decent budget gear.
latest report
Another vote for a private group lesson on an indoor slope before you go. Having that hour when it’s just the instructor and your two kids gives them so much confidence about what to expect, all the attention and if they spin round and ski backwards then the instructor is watching and sprints across while telling them how to correct it. It’s little things but they learn how to put on boots, skis, poles etc.

Another vote for sports pursuit as well. Great gear - as long as you look at delivery dates then it’s all ok and better quality than mountain warehouse. Costco if you have access usually have some decent ski gloves on sale but personally I think a splurge on hestra gloves is a good idea.
latest report
@Dpetchey, some good suggestions above.

I’d add Les Gets to your longlist.
Pleasant town, family friendly, good beginner slopes and progression to easier blue runs. Short transfer from Geneva airport, which has plenty of flight availability.

Mid March a good time to go. I usually found the 3rd week of March quieter and a bit cheaper than the 2nd week.
snow report
Quote:
I'd be championing somewhere like Kitzbuhel, St Johan and Ischgl in Austria....

Quote:
Skiing is allowed outside of France

Quote:
Im a bit biased, but would recommend Italy
The classic schoolboy exam error Puzzled Not answering the question you've been asked, but the one you wish you'd been asked? wink The OP couldn't be more clear! He/she wants to go to France! Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:
Mountain warehouse sell decent budget gear
There are absolutely loads of places in the UK for decent budget ski gear. In no particular order:
- Decathlon
- Sports Direct
- Trespass
- TK Maxx
- Tog 24
- Go Outdoors
- Mountain Warehouse (as mentioned above)
- Aldi and Lidl (but only at certain times)

eBay is a great shout for second hand stuff.
latest report
It will probably not be terribly cold in mid March. If you have friends who ski you can probably borrow some gear. And there should be lots on eBay
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Mountain warehouse sell decent budget gear
There are absolutely loads of places in the UK for decent budget ski gear. In no particular order:
- Decathlon
- Sports Direct
- Trespass
- TK Maxx
- Tog 24
- Go Outdoors
- Mountain Warehouse (as mentioned above)
- Aldi and Lidl (but only at certain times)

eBay is a great shout for second hand stuff.

Thank you Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Agent Orange wrote:
Another vote for a private group lesson on an indoor slope before you go.

Second/third that, and would add that outdoor dry-slopes are a great precursor to yer actual snow - slower speeds for learning & good value over the summer when it’s way less busy.

Quote:
I think a splurge on Hestra gloves is a good idea.

Doubly so if you do go on the dry-slopes - you get used to handling all the kit & saves your fingers when you fall on the plastic!
ski holidays
Dpetchey wrote:
Would match work or is that two late in the season for the lower beginner slopes?

Match is good four the beginner slopes. Enjoy your holiday snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy