Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paper maps vs smart phones

Poster: A snowHead
What is the word on the street about paper maps vs smart phones?

I want to cross the Ardeche (on skis) and my plan is to get a paper map but do people just use smartphones for navigating these days?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd always want a paper map for planning (or a paper chart on a boat) because if you pan out to see a decent size chunk of territory, the scale is too small to be useful. I am absolutely hopeless navigating on any electronic device till I've figured out how to get the orientation right. North up generally, and especially for strategic planning, course up sometimes useful for close up stuff. But then I'm old and grew up with "North up". I find it difficult to orientate myself and get a good "sense of place" on a small screen because.

Sounds like a fun trip. How long?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pinch & zoom on a wet screen does not work very well.
By the time you fart about wiping everything dry, you may as well look at a paper map.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can generally get the French topo maps in a weatherproof sort of form. Maybe worth having a map case, like a proper explorer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I surprised you even ask the question.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, didn't you post today about some ski tourers whose phone died in bad vis and got lost?

I find phone useful, often easier to use in the first instance but would usually like to have a map as back up unless going somewhere tame with plenty of traffic and with a favourable weather forecast.

For instance we did a walk on Edale. I had a paper map and had scouted the route on fatmap beforehand but mostly used outdooractive on the phone to track where we were. Missus usually prefers paper maps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In both the UK and Switzerland, I subscribe to the national map service (Ordnance Survey & SwissTopo respectively). This lets me download and print out topographical and geological maps of selected areas I'm traversing. This works really well alongside their respective mapping apps, which is always useful to find out if your actually are where you think you are. It means I'm not faffing around with a folded map of which 80% isn't relevant; or the scale is wrong; or having to work across two maps because the route crosses between them.

Perhaps there's an equivalent for France?

Personally, I think electronic map apps can be extremely useful, but only as an adjunct to a paper version which I've studied beforehand and also have with me. To be reliable, an app has to have the map downloaded and not be reliant on an internet connection. In practice, I've also found that it's much easier to use a tablet than a mobile if I really need to study the map in detail. I find a mobile screen just a bit too small if I need to look at a route or distinguish a lot of detail. But clearly, it's going to be more cumbersome to carry. This is more for summer hiking, however. Perhaps it doesn't apply so much in winter.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 10-01-24 16:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Printed map, much quicker than waiting for app to load (assuming there is a signal)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gored wrote:
pinch & zoom on a wet screen does not work very well.
By the time you fart about wiping everything dry, you may as well look at a paper map.

yes, that's true enough
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use iPhiGenie for 99% of my on-the-hill navigation these days. Paper map (and compass) in the bag for backup.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
@davidof, didn't you post today about some ski tourers whose phone died in bad vis and got lost?

I did, you are quite right. The route I would follow would be marked - basically a haute route type thing.

I'm thinking Pam's planning overview is relevant but I was wondering what the kool kids used on the terrain. I've got a proper GPS if I can remember how it works but I'm thinking of just taking my bike gps and a map. It depends now on snow and weather.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 9-01-24 16:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LaForet wrote:

Perhaps there's an equivalent for France?

https://www.ign.fr/

As it happens, I'm not too bothered about paper copies/printouts of maps or nautical charts. Yes, the latter are more reliable as a source of record, i.e. I wouldn't always trust a chart plotter as much as the paper chart, but when it comes to navigation I'm happy enough with either. Like @Pam_w I still prefer North-up rather than heads-up, although I've git so used to it for car navigation I'm not bothered by it nowadays.

I did learn to navigate (in the Merchant Navy) on proper charts, 2B pencils, dividers, etc. etc. and could still do so (although I mislaid my sight book some decades ago so would have to restart from scratch if you asked me to calculate from a sextant sight) and can appreciate how some folk still prefer them, but in practice, especially on a yacht with limited space and people, they are frankly a bit of a PITA.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh yes, the chart plotter is brilliant once out there and doing stuff. But typically we will sit round the table with a glass of something, after dinner, and get the charts out. Not if we're in the Solent, or heading over to Poole. We know our way round there. But I'm not familiar with most of the N French coast and looking at a great chunk is fun. It's also good for getting a macro idea of what the tide's doing and how it affects potential destinations. We're also old fashioned enough to plot a position on a paper chart every hour when crossing the Channel and we scribble numbers on a bit of paper to get an overall course to steer. But I'm glad nobody's relying on my navigation skills which were never great in practice though I was ever so good at the desk chart work for Yachtmaster when everything stayed still and I didn't feel sick. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevomcd, here's the link https://www.iphigen.ie/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Planning is a combo of paper map and ipad map. Actual navigating is a combo of paper and iphone map.

On the ground, it depends on speed and what you are covering. "Macro Nav" is poor on a phone. If you zoom out the scale changes and it's hard to get a sense of where you are especially if you are in big featured areas (Scottish Highlands etc.). From doing Mountain Marathon style events and spending a lot of time "off path", a paper map really come into it's own.

However, when a phone/gps really come into its own in micro nav, where knowing exactly where you are, or which path to take from a confusing selection, really helps. This also holds true for poor visibility.

Do bear in mind, however, that phones have limited battery, maps need to be downloaded onto your phone and touchscreens are a pig to use when wet, with gloves etc.
snow conditions
If you need to ask and all that...

I use my watch or iPhone (with OSMaps app but also like the French IGN stuff) most of the time for quick navigation running in the fells / mountains (maps downloaded in advance) but always have paper backup if it's critical / bad weather / I don't know the area.
latest report
Trying to hold down a paper map is high wind is for real mountaineers! Shocked (which I’m not)

Electronic as the first choice, back up by tried-and-true paper just in case.
snow report
As @abc says - both.

A GPS linked electronic map won't just tell you exactly where you are (in case you need to direct rescue) but works almost as well when it's blowing a gale as on a still day. About as much use as having an electric toaster with you when you run out of electrons though.

A paper map will work for years without needing recharging and, depending on map vs. piste diagram and the user's map reading skills will get rescue close-enough to find you if needed. About as much use as having an electric toaser with you when it's chucking it down and/or blowing a gale though as it either turns to mush of gets rips out your hands.

When I'm skiing my go-to is the paper map - mainly because I can pick up another one for free if I lose it. A new phone, not so much.
snow conditions
@LaForet,
Quote:

This lets me download and print out topographical and geological maps of selected areas I'm traversing.

Geological maps? I love the idea that you are aware of the geology of the area you are travelling over. It's great.

Much as I love using Outdoor active on my phone I am very aware that a/ I may not be able to download a map because there is no mobile phone signal and I forgot to download the map in advance. There are lots of areas in the mountains without phone signals and b/ the phone may run out of power. Sorry paper maps and compasses are still required.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Trying to hold down a paper map is high wind is for real mountaineers! Shocked (which I’m not)

Electronic as the first choice, back up by tried-and-true paper just in case.

Having had a map blown away in a montain marathon and tripped over a rock and drooped my phone in a bog whilst out walking I would said neither option is infallible......
ski holidays
IGN map, compass, gps/phone with IGN/FatMap for backup when you just want a quick location fix in poor visibility, pack a good quality power bank to recharge gadgets.
snow conditions
Gpx track sent to watch is my preferred choice for navigation these days. Much less faff than both paper maps and getting a phone out a pocket (especially with gloves).

It's always worth having a paper map as back up for anything more remote. If you are somewhere busy with well maintained trails I probably wouldn't bother, although best practice would be to have it.

There is something enjoyable about sitting at a table with a paper map planning routes. However electronic apps like fatmap with easy visualisations, and all their overlays and features are just so much more practical now.
snow conditions
I am very much old school - paper, or preferably laminated for me. I can relate a decent map to the terrain much better than I can any electronic screen. But I am old, and have been doing it well over 50 years. I also find I can study and memorise a paper map far better than a device, so I actually hardly ever need to get it out. I find GPS directions take you to a position where if something goes wrong you don't really know where you are.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
However electronic apps like fatmap with easy visualisations, and all their overlays and features are just so much more practical now.

+1. Phone with a decent battery (+ power bank), Fatmap and Swisstopo or equivalent. Remember to download the relevant maps up front if in areas without mobile signal.
snow conditions
Well that made me look at fatmap - I remember it coming out & my phone at the time struggled with it.
Seems they are now owned by Strava.
Are the Dots moving other fatmap/strava users?
ski holidays
Quote:

I can relate a decent map to the terrain much better than I can any electronic screen...I can study and memorise a paper map far better than a device

Fatmap is a literal visualation of the terrain. I can spin the camera 360 degrees, look at numerous angles, including pov style from where I will be standing. Sure if you are an excellent map reader you can get close to a visualisation of the terrain in your head, but fatmap is essentially just skipping that middle stage calculation where human error can happen.

Some things like calculating slope angle are a faff with contour lines. With one click on fatmap I get a gradient overlays showing me how steep all the terrain is allowing me to plan a route.

I'll be honest, I was pretty skeptical at first and have only recently come around to apps being better than paper. But they are just so much better than paper now I don't really know how anyone could argue otherwise (that's not to say they are perfect - obviously battery is an issue, and a paper map is a necessary back up).

For example I've just made a bunch of GPS routes in fatmap avoiding slopes above 25 degrees for some touring next month. Using the avalanche overlay and plotting tool it was so quick and easy. Now I have a nice easy to follow gpx ready on my watch. Creating the routes on a paper map would have been much slower and navigating with a map much more hassle and prone to error.

The people I know refusing to move on at this point are just snobby/elitist traditionalists. One or them still uses skinny old skis without all the nice new tech. Maybe he just likes to suffer and make things harder than they need to be Laughing
latest report
FATMAP + paper map. Usually send a gpx to my watch but can’t really read it without reading glasses which is an extra faff.

Usual plan is to just get lost and see what happens anyway Very Happy
ski holidays
Gotta say I don’t totally trust the avalanche overlay in FATMAP. It’s ok but it doesn’t do the level of detail needed to really rely on it imo. Also doesn’t give much of a clue for how dense the bush is or other stuff like that. It’s definitely a great tool but not a replacement for using the brain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, nobody is saying don't use your brain and adapt as necessary. But the same is true for paper maps. Fwiw I have very good agrrement between fat map gradient, GPS measured gradient, and measured gradients using poles.
ski holidays
How do you work out where you are with a paper map in a blizzard with no viz of any landmarks? With Fatmap or similar it positions you accurately on the map - that is priceless!
ski holidays
Nobody's suggesting doing without a gizmo which tells you where you are, @BobinCH! My first GPS just gave you lat and long. Or more usefully, range and bearing to a waypoint you'd programmed in. Was still priceless! But personally I'd always want a paper map too, and would probably have spent a happy few hours with a glass of something, studying it and thinking about it. That's often more enjoyable than doing the actual trip..... wink
snow conditions
@BobinCH, years ago I did a winter mountaineering course at glenmore lodge. There was zero visibility the whole time. We knew where we were by carefully studying the contours, walking on accurate compass bearings and counting paces. I still recall that on the flat I had 75 on hard pack snow. The trick was always knowing where you are.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
@hang11, nobody is saying don't use your brain and adapt as necessary. But the same is true for paper maps. Fwiw I have very good agrrement between fat map gradient, GPS measured gradient, and measured gradients using poles.

I think this is the issue a lot of people have with digital tools s we see in reports from MR call outs, press reports etc, and that issue is that some* users take the digital info at face value and don't use their brain and apply it to the ground in front of them.

As I said above, I still find digital difficult for macro nav (I use Outdooractive, have not tried FatMap) but as BobinCH says above, it's makes locating yourself in a whiteout a LOT easier!

*this is obviously not aimed at you!
snow conditions
Quote:
.. I think this is the issue a lot of people have with digital tools we see in reports from MR call outs, press reports etc, and that issue is that some* users take the digital info at face value and don't use their brain and apply it to the ground in front of them. ...
Perhaps, although that sounds a bit Daily Mail to me. And I note that the poster I'm responding to is overall in favour of digital; I'm just objecting to this specific concept, with reference to rescue, which I've some knowledge of.

I find it hard to understand how providing those people with easy to use, digital devices could possibly make them less safe.
Is there any evidence for this at all?

If a digital map can be misinterpreted, so can a paper map and compass.

With a phone we can at least "phone find" people whose navigation skills aren't up to getting them home. Better than having dozens of us scouring large areas of wilderness when we should be down the pub. I reckon digital tools save lives and drinking time. The lack of digital tools - the Vignettes Hut incident comes to mind - seems unequivocally bad, to me.

The Daily Mail may claim that having digital tools makes people more likely to put themselves in dangerous situations. To show that you'd need to demonstrate that the careless folk on the hills with their phones would not be there if they didn't have the phones, which seems unlikely: either they are careless, or they are not.

There's the argument that digital tools increase call outs... but I'm not sure how you'd factor out increased participation from that, and if participation increases you'd expect average competence to decrease. I just think it's an unhelpful argument, as we need people to carry and use digital tools, so they can be found. You might accept a greater frequency of stupid call outs, but that's a triage issue, and if you know precisely where someone is (even when they don't know that themselves) extraction is very low cost compared with a full search.
latest report
Being old, I suspect that a lot of young electronic-users never learnt to navigate in any way (even just thinking about how to drive from Southampton to Nottingham, or arriving in a strange city and needing to buy a streetmap to find your way to your hotel). So they have no geographical sense of place. And if they regularly use their devices "heading up" they probably have no idea of compass directions either. This doesn't have to mean anything clever, just something like "I'm definitely still south of Nottingham so why am I driving towards the sun? Something's gone wrong".

I learnt marine navigation when it meant stuff like taking wobbly bearings on a lighthouse you'd not positively identified, logging your speed (through the water) and course then adjusting for tide and leeway and getting some rough idea of where you could possibly be. etc etc. I've done that mountain nav stuff too - counting paces (having walked the mapped equivalent of a "measured mile" to work out your average pace length). And taking bearings on the man in front. Very laborious and I've only ever done it as an exercise, not in anger.

Satnavs are incredible. But I'm glad I have some idea of how to do it the hard way.

We had several people driving to my place in the Alps, who despite being told by me NOT to rely on satnav, decided I didn't know what I was talking about. When they ring you up, lost, or up some forest track strewn with boulders and fallen branches (my son, last Easter) but DON'T HAVE A MAP it can be difficult trying to decide where they are, and tell them how they can retrace their steps and find a sensible road. And to persuade them that even though the sodding machine tells them they are only 2.5km from their destination, they have to go back down to the valley, along a bit, and up a different road, and you estimate they could be with you in 40 minutes, and as they have a rented car from Geneva, with winter tyres, you don't think they'll need the chains.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@BobinCH, years ago I did a winter mountaineering course at glenmore lodge. There was zero visibility the whole time. We knew where we were by carefully studying the contours, walking on accurate compass bearings and counting paces. I still recall that on the flat I had 75 on hard pack snow. The trick was always knowing where you are.

Yes, I recall doing similar on my BASI 'Common Theory' course at the same location. Was kinda bread and butter stuff to me, having first learnt that sort of thing in the scouts, then Merchant Navy, then sailing qulifications, etc. etc. But these things take practice, and even some very experienced people can be caught out.

One such was a mountain guide/trainer on my BASI L3 mountain safety course in Zermatt, up on the Theodulgletcher (Zermatt) who was so convinced he knew exactly where we were that he would not accept that my rough bearing off the Matterhorn put us at least 300m further up (or was or down?) the mountain than he 'knew' we were. I redid it. I redid it again. I did it with a different compass. I did it with my phone compass. I plotted it on the paper map. I used my phone's barometer to get our altitide, I even resorted to GPS, all of which agreed with my first reading. He absolutely would not accept it. Well, an hour or two later when we skied the same area again he finally did, reluctantly, claiming that certain rock outcrops appeared in a different location than he remembered because the glacier had shrunk...

Anyway, that's not about old tech vs. new tech, but does perhaps show that the more tools at your disposal the better equipped you'll be when your own senses are telling you lies. And that sometimes the simplest (and oldest) methids may also be the easiest and most reliable, provided you're well enough practised in them.
snow conditions
Quote:

who was so convinced he knew exactly where we were that he would not accept that my rough bearing off the Matterhorn

Quote:

reluctantly, claiming that certain rock outcrops appeared in a different location than he remembered because the glacier had shrunk...

I like the concept that he didn't recognise the Matterhorn. I thought it was rather distinctive.

After getting into climbing and walking in the Alpes my wife bought me a Sunnoto watch with an altimeter. Knowing your altitude is very useful in the mountains as many guide books make reference to turn west at 2750m in the description. The Sunnoto is a lot smaller than the old analogue barometers we used to use (I still have an ancient field surveying barameter calibrated in feet). The batteries in the watch last years so it is of use when you are out of civilisation for days. I don't trust the compass as much as the Silva. It also tells the time,
ski holidays
I think that in the olden days, most people were aware that navigation could be difficult in mountains (or at sea) and that you had to "learn a lot" to do it safely. Or go with more experienced people. Or not bite off more than you can chew. Or know when to give up, or modify an ambitious plan in the light of the weather forecast. I did all those things, aware that despite my theoretical knowledge and very high marks in the Yachtmaster theory exam (I am that sort of learner), recognise the lights of a trawler with its nets fast upon an obstruction and tie a one-handed bowline, I was very inexperienced and needed to keep myself and my family safe.

There are now hugely more people out on the hills, even in really hazardous areas like the Cairngorms, and I bet many are just relying on electronics, and don't know what they don't know. They might not even be that good with the electronics.
ski holidays
RobinS wrote:
I am very much old school - paper, or preferably laminated for me.

That's enough about you 'gentlemans material' thank you very much...
snow report
@davidof,

I used to very purist about paper maps and avoiding the crutch of GPS mapping but in the last few years I've realised how valuable it is in complex terrain and poor vis. Even the ability to zoom in on a screenshot of a complex area is useful (when you've got loads of shading and contours on a 1:10k). But I'd still never be without a paper map and compass.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy