Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent 12v Car Kettle: Unicorns?

Poster: A snowHead
We finally booked- Val Cenis (been dying to try it) for next week- and are driving as usual. Simple question: has anyone found a half decent, safe 12v travel kettle they can recommend? Ta.

CG
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In true forum tradition I’ll suggest something different from what you ask for…

We keep an MSR windburner in the boot - basically a gas kettle, v fast and ideal for a quick brew en route and after a long day in the hills. (Jetboil, Alpkit do similar products). No experience of 12v kettles but would assume gas will be much faster. Also it’s got integrated windshield so v efficient.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only thing I know about 12v kettles is plan ahead - Most take about 20-30 minutes to get 2 cups of water to temperature. You'd be better off getting a camp stove and pulling over for a brew.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got two flasks that keep coffee too hot to drink for 4 hours and passable for 12 hours. How long is your journey?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We bought a kettle to use in the car many years ago after being stuck in horrendous traffic and it seemed the sensible thing to do. We have only used it once to try it out and it did take about 20 minutes but we do always load it into the car along with chains etc etc. Generally travel with a few flasks made before we leave home or after a hotel overnight stay. Different travel kettle goes with us for that in case there isn’t one at a hotel. We often don’t use all the flasks but it’s a bit belt and braces.
Can’t say what make the 12v kettle is at it’s in the garage and too flipping cold to go and look right now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Charliegolf, every service station we've stopped at in France seems to sell coffee makers etc aimed at Truckers with 12v connection.

However, every service station also has a reasonable brew for couple of euros from machine or better from Pauls etc. We just get those and tip into our insulated travel mugs.

Appreciate, in the best SH tradition, that doesn't answer the question Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have one of these : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126183808259

Annoyingly it's too big to fit in the car cup holders, but it does work. Takes perhaps 20-30 mins to get hot enough for a Nescafe (I don't drink tea). A typical (mains) household kettle is 2 or 3KW, so this 120W is going to take 20 times longer to boil the same amount of water. Plug it on once you're on the M20 headed towards Folkestone, or passing Cambrai on the way home and it'll be ready before you make the tunnel.

I'd also recommend a metal flask or travel mug like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314798647109 . If you make it up before you leave home then it'll still be warm enough to drink for a good 4-6 hours. Mine is still too hot to drink quickly by the time I get to Heathrow - about 2h away.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://kinto-europe.com/collections/travel-tumbler Phenomenally good
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have had a couple of 12v travel kettles but rarely used them. They take for ever to heat water to boiling point and I never managed to plan for that very well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DJL wrote:
I've got two flasks that keep coffee too hot to drink for 4 hours and passable for 12 hours. How long is your journey?

Can reccomend the CamelPak insulated cups for 'single servings' . Like your flasks I have to plan making my travel tea well ahead of time or I've reached my destination before it comes down to a drinkable temperature!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tried 12v kettles gave up because they take so long and bought genuine glass lined Thermos flasks - they are difficult to find these day but keep hot water hot for at least 12 hours!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jetboil stash. The size of a travel mug and will make a cuppa in a couple of minutes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just put the kettle on to boil while you are driving - about 30 mins before you plan to stop
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
You'd be better off getting a camp stove and pulling over for a brew.
Definitely. A half-decent camping stove will boil half a litre of water in a few minutes.

Quote:
I've got two flasks that keep coffee too hot to drink for 4 hours and passable for 12 hours.
My steel, 1 litre vacuum flask from Go Outdoors is amazing. Red hot for 6-8 hrs and passable for 12 hrs or more.

Quote:
Takes perhaps 20-30 mins to get hot enough for a Nescafe (I don't drink tea)
For info: The same temperature water is used for tea @Judwin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
For info: The same temperature water is used for tea

Not quite - tea needs boiling water, coffee needs not quite boiling - otherwise it burns Very Happy
snow report
We have a jet boil & kettle and mini pan for road side ravioli if needed
snow conditions
I have forced the French government to build motorway side refreshment areas at suitably spaced intervals on their motorway system rending such devices redundant, bon, non?
ski holidays
Quote:
Not quite - tea needs boiling water, coffee needs not quite boiling - otherwise it burns
I live and learn @MorningGory - turns out I've had a lifetime of drinking burnt instant coffee! Laughing
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, Is boiling OK for instant? Is it just the real stuff that burns? Not something I've ever pondered before Cool
latest report
@ster, congrats on your strength of stomach. Their coffee could strip a diesel engine and power it for a week Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

road side ravioli

I'm going to assume that is a euphemism... and a truly filthy one - So I understand why you'd need a pan of boiling water.
snow report
Quote:
@mountainaddict, Is boiling OK for instant? Is it just the real stuff that burns? Not something I've ever pondered before
That (ie boiling) is all I've ever used for instant. Seems OK to me! I'll have to try non-boilng and see if I can tell any difference! wink

I've never tried real coffee beans at home - only in Costa (and Greggs) etc wink
snow report
If you've never tried a jet boil, you really should. They are a highly insulated, windproof gas stove and nothing heats water faster in my real world experience. It's a much better solution than an 12v kettle in my view. You'll have to pull over for comfort breaks/fuel anyway so why not use 60 seconds of that time to fire up the jet boil and refill your thermos. Much more convenient than trying for 30+mins to get a 12v kettle up to temp.
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

Not quite - tea needs boiling water, coffee needs not quite boiling - otherwise it burns Very Happy

I never understood this argument, consisering how hot the coffee beans get when they are roasted Puzzled
Maybe boiling water extracts more flavour from the coffee?
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
MorningGory wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

I never understood this argument, consisering how hot the coffee beans get when they are roasted Puzzled
Maybe boiling water extracts more flavour from the coffee?

It depends on coffee beans, their roast level and what we are brewing. I recommend watching James Hoffman on YT if you need more details.

Re kettle. I bought MSR (normal, not wind burner) and it's great. I would replace it with a car kettle given how easy it is to pack it to a backpack and buy a can of gas. However, if it's just for water I would definitely go for windburner. On a windy day i need to cover it from wind in order to get water boiling.

MorningGory wrote:
@mountainaddict, Is boiling OK for instant? Is it just the real stuff that burns? Not something I've ever pondered before Cool

Doesn't matter for instant because the coffee is already extracted, you are only changing it from powder to liquid version.
ski holidays
At the end of the day, I brew my coffee, cook my eggs, fry my steak the way that I like it & take little notice of so called experts Very Happy
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
At the end of the day, I brew my coffee, cook my eggs, fry my steak the way that I like it & take little notice of so called experts Very Happy

If you are happy with how it's done then no need for changes but I wouldn't call him "so called expert".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy