Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2nd week of April tignes vs Val Thorens- Snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am looking at booking a trip for the second week of April (trying to avoid the UK Easter holidays) for myself and my partner. She's very much a beginner snowboarder so want to get her some lessons as well. Just wondering which resorts tend to be better for this time of year in terms of snow conditions? Are both also well suited for a beginner? It's been a while since I've been to either of these resorts, all I can remember is that they were both good fun Smile. Also open to any alternatives, Cervinia perhaps? When i say tignes, likely le lac or val claret.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes is better for beginners IMO. The Rosset piste / lift is my favourite place to teach newbies! The Val T beginner area is bit weird as it's also a major thoroughfare!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not been to Tignes, so can't do the comparison - but if you do end up in VT, then note that there's a great green run (Espace Junior) just off the main thoroughfare which is perfect for beginners (wide and open, esp at the top, pretty long for a green, and really really quiet).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. What about the snow conditions in April, are both comparable?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Again, can't speak for Tignes - but both are high so should be excellent in April. VT is open till May, and generally shuts not because of lack of snow but because lack of skiiers. I've been in May before and the conditions were excellent.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Okay thank you. I’ve had a look at hotels and both seem fairly similar on price for April. Both resorts also seem good for a beginner but wondering if one tends to have better snowfall in April if there isn’t much to separate the two on anything else?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to both loads of times in late April and early May @Tonyb08. There is absolutely nothing to choose between them in terms of snow reliability in April. Both will have the vast majority (if not all) of their slopes open at that time.

There is only 200m or so between resort heights (Tignes 2100m, Val T 2300m), with both offering snowsure slopes up to over 3000m once your partner is up and running and off the nursery slopes. In that regard, some lessons at a UK snowslope would be invaluable in helping her to get the most out of a trip to the Alps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My partner has done a couple days at a small resort last year so won’t be completely new. Looks like we’ll just choose based on accommodation options which are also similar! Flip of a coin maybe
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most of my posts over the last few weeks have been shamelessly promoting my recent Tignes TR (see sig), which is IMO worth a look for a beginner snowboarding trip and features a certain @stevomcd who has already weighed in. As others have mentioned, both will be absolutely fine in April.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like them both @Tonyb08, but would favour Tignes in answer to your question.

Similar reasons to those given above in support of Tignes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone, looks like you’ve convinced me to book tignes! I did enjoy le lac few years ago and there’s a dedicated snowboard school too after some searching.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
I did enjoy le lac few years ago and there’s a dedicated snowboard school too after some searching
As your partner is not a complete novice, it's worth mentioning that there are three free ski lifts at Le Lac. That could save on a lift pass until she gets her ski legs - sorry board legs wink - back.
- Covered magic carpet lift - for adjacent nursery slope.
- Drag lift and (slow) chairlift serving blue runs.

Or there's a fast detachable chairlift (Bollin) at Val Claret that serves a green and blue run. It has a cafe/restaurant at the top too. There's also a covered magic carpet near to the bottom of Tufs chair in Val Claret. I think there may be a free drag lift in that area too?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tonyb08 wrote:
trying to avoid the UK Easter holidays

Out of interest, why is that? Easter is not busy despite the holidays.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out of interest, why is that? Easter is not busy despite the holidays.[/quote]

Flights and accommodation did seem slightly more expensive over UK Easter holidays and I would assume after Easter it would be slightly quieter on the slopes?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tonyb08, slightly but it's not material IMV - we ski Easter every year.

Conditions wise for these resorts it's no biggie. But I just wondered as some people who are under the misapprehension Easter is busy.
snow report
@Layne, Eurostar fares (and presumably also flights) appear quite a bit more expensive at Easter. I was quite surprised.
snow conditions
I suppose if you have the flexibility to not go over Easter it makes sense to save a little and have slightly less people around
latest report
When we holidayed at Easter last year the flights from the UK were incredibly expensive because of UK school holidays. The resort wasn't busy, and the accommodation (two big gites) wasn't expensive. Two littlest kids had some private lessons, at low-season prices. My eldest son flew, but he's well paid. The rest of us all drove, which was hugely cheaper.
snow report
pam w wrote:
When we holidayed at Easter last year the flights from the UK were incredibly expensive because of UK school holidays. The resort wasn't busy, and the accommodation (two big gites) wasn't expensive. Two littlest kids had some private lessons, at low-season prices. My eldest son flew, but he's well paid. The rest of us all drove, which was hugely cheaper.

Sounds great! Unfortunately our car is too small and old for any pleasant long journeys. Fingers crossed the snow stays good for April!
ski holidays
Now I am almost set on Tignes and to cause more confusion, is there anywhere else in Europe that I should be considering for snow sure April conditions that cater well for a beginner snowboarder?
snow conditions
@Tonyb08, I reckon Tignes is the best all round resort there is! The problem is finding anywhere else as good...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy