Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie - Goggles & Layers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi! We are off next month and I'm stressing about all the gear I need to buy (clothing I mean!) for four of us. I'm just on the Goggles and Layers now.

2 x skiiers
2 x boarders
We are not total beginners but all very inexperienced and will be having lessons all week.

Goggles - someone suggested I get bad weather goggles, and just use sunglasses for good weather. is this advisable? I read that "All boarders wear only goggles" - is this a thing?! (The boarders are teenagers so they don't want to look uncool). I don't want to spend more than £50 on goggles per person! I am looking at the G900 ones from Decathlon.

Layers - I confess I am NOT good with the cold. I get reynauds, and am just generally cold all the time even indoors. Which layers are going to keep me warmest? I know I need good midlayers and a decent jacket, but I feel the base layers may be key... what's best? Any particular brands? Or will any technical layers do the job?

Thanks for your help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On layers, if it is of any help, I would go for a hardshell jacket, and combine this with multiple layers. Don't get too hung up on ski orientated brands for the layers, nowadays most of the kit is transferable from hiking/sailing/skiing so can wear it for lots of functions but the brand really doesn't matter.

I have a very nice "last years" model Helly Hansen hardshell jacket that I got for less than half price on SportPursuit, so might be worth looking there.

Sounds like it you might will invest in some warm gloves or mitts though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First of all, where are you going? That may affect the advice you need.

I can't give you specific Reynauds advice, but I'm sure others can. In general though, any technical layers should be fine, but some people have more specific preferences. I prefer merino wool – you can probably get away with one top and one bottoms per person, and if you need to wash them they should dry overnight in a warm room – but others find them itchy. Have a look on sportpursuit.com (now, as the lead times can be a little longer than other stores), or you can probably get them in Decathlon too.

Wear a fleece mid-layer, and have an extra one available – a second fleece you can layer or an insulated jacket or body-warmer/vest.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can spend hundreds on goggles - but at the end of the day even a cheap pair will do the job perfectly well, certainly beginners. The main thing for 'intro level' goggles is that they fit your face and feel comfortable. Oh, and don't worry about different lenses untill the skiing bug has bitten you much deeper. If you can't see anything and aren't enjoying it rather than swapping lenses just go and have a vin chaud Smile

As the others have said, at the end of the day base layers are base layers regardless if they say "ski", "running", "rugby", whatever on the box. There is a benefit in merino wool ones - but mainly the fact you can get several days wear out of them without them smelling. For people who feel the cold go for a looser-fitting jacket, because that leaves room to pile on the layers inside it. Or make sure you wear/take a number of layers with you when shopping and trying on jackets.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You don't need to get too hung up about things. Layers are what they say, any outdoor shop will have suitable thermals/base layers and fleeces/mid layers. You probably have suitable stuff already. A waterproof shell is as good as anything as a jacket (though purpose made ski jackets incorporate insulation, so you will need an extra layer to compensate); the most useful technical aspect of a purpose made ski jacket is the little pocket on your left arm to hold the ski pass close to the scanner device on the lift turnstile, but an inside left pocket works pretty well.

Goggles, well as long as they are CE approved and at least UV3 protection they should do. £50. Some people wear sunglasses in good weather, others wear goggles all the time - if you do use sunglasses make sure they are wraparound since eyes can get damaged by UV from the side.

I would recommend getting salopettes (insulated waterproof trousers sold for skiing) since there aren't really alternatives you might have already, and you will need decent ski gloves and ski socks. The less expensive ones (e.g. from Mountain Warehouse, Trespass, Decathlon) are fine, although if you know you have problems with cold hands you would be well worth spending more for especially warm gloves with liner gloves you can wear as well if necessary.

If you get the habit, then of course you can go for some more expensive kit but that will be to treat yourself.

I think your main issue is making sure the teenagers don't decide that only the most expensive brand name gear (10x price of basic) is sufficiently cool for them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Get mittens and ones with a pouch for the heated tea bag hand warmers and also get some wrist warmers for reynauds (I use these around the house when no heating on https://www.outdooraction.co.uk//extremities-power-liner-wrist-gaiter-p3248/s10925)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all - super helpful! (We are going to Corvara)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decathlon sell the "tea bag" handwarmers - buy lots, they're not expensive compared to a ski holiday. Actually, there's not much that's expensive compared to a ski holiday. Corvara is terrific. Good choice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Decathlon is very good for layers and glove liners and everything else really... Dare2be also have a continuous sale on. Avoid Sports Direct as the quality is awful....
A lot of apartments in Italy (including ours in Corvara a few weeks ago!) Have washing machines and doing a quick base layer and sock wash mid-week is great if you don't want to splash out on tons of kit initially, or cart it all across Europe!
Modern ski gear is pretty good at keeping you warm nowadays and not everyone will need a mid layer with a padded jacket. Buffs are very good at stopping air going down the neck of your jacket and make a significant difference to your warmth. Enjoy Corvara, it's ace!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SamB wrote:
Hi! We are off next month and I'm stressing about all the gear I need to buy (clothing I mean!) for four of us. I'm just on the Goggles and Layers now.
Goggles - someone suggested I get bad weather goggles, and just use sunglasses for good weather. is this advisable? I read that "All boarders wear only goggles" - is this a thing?! (The boarders are teenagers so they don't want to look uncool). I don't want to spend more than £50 on goggles per person! I am looking at the G900 ones from Decathlon.

If your getting a single lens vs interchangeable, a bad weather lens (i.e.light tint) will still work in bright sun (unless you have mega sensitive eyes) and as pointed out, dark sunglasses can be worn instead. If you get a dark tint, you're a bit Be Nice please! if its a cloudy / snowy day / flat light, as you then struggle to make out the contours of the slope you're skiing / boarding, unless you flip the goggle up and go bare face, which isn't always that pleasant if its snowing.

So interchangeable is best, but if one "colour" go for poor weather / light tint.

Layers take a few choices, you'll work out what you need pretty quickly. If learning / beginner you work pretty hard so often need less than you think. I remember almost dying of heat exhaustion on my first morning skiing....conversely last year it was -16*C and I wore all the selection I'd taken one day. You'll know this with reynards, but if you keep your body / core warm you're hands and feet stay warmer. They answer is often an extra base / mid layer, not more gloves. Washing out your "nearest the skin" base layers (and ski socks) in the shower after skiing is perfectly acceptable. 2 of each is adequate, one to wear, one drying out! Mid layers, anything goes, its just insulation - the base (wicking) and jacket (wind and waterproof) are doing the heavy lifting, wool jumper / fleece etc is fine.

Get a snood / buff thingy each
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SamB, for goggles. Decathlon or Tiso’s own brand (sundown) but make sure they are comfortable with your helmet or face.

Base layers? Lidl Crane will be fine. If you can, try to get some merino in there because it smells lesser than pure synthetic.

Salopettes: go to TkMaxx for cheap options. I got £350 mountain force for £69. I do have a great jacket from there as well.

Mid layer: I’d go for a nice padded jacket and a thin outer windproof shell rather than a poor mid layer and nice hardshell.

You are going to Corvara so you will not be skiing in the rain. Happy

Spend £12-18 on decent socks like smatwool. Nothing worse than smelly feet and that is cold feet. Decent merino socks will sort that out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy