Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier easy off-piste area for warm-up

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Verbier next week for a 1-week off-piste course with Warren Smith. It starts Monday but I'll arrive Saturday night, so I have the whole Sunday for a nice warm-up.
I've never been to Verbier, which are some easy going off-piste areas that I can go alone Sunday? Nothing too hairy, don't want to go to any places where I could get lost without the instructor snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to the Lac de Vaux area - lots of easy off piste that all links back up to the lifts at the bottom, its hard to go wrong.

Based on my time on a Warren Smith Course you'll probably start off there too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good call, the marked itineries are also worth a look if the snows good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitters wrote:
Go to the Lac de Vaux area - lots of easy off piste that all links back up to the lifts at the bottom, its hard to go wrong.

Based on my time on a Warren Smith Course you'll probably start off there too.

Thanks!
I'm having trouble finding that on the ski map... do you know which lift goes there? Or maybe the name/number of any track in that area? My hotel is close to the Medran lift, so I'll use that one as the starting point.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Good call, the marked itineries are also worth a look if the snows good.

Are the marker itineraries the ones highlighted in yellow here: https://www.seeverbier.com/files/324 ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes the ones in yellow are the marked itineries, but can be quite challenging but good fun - you will go down these on the WS course so if you want to build up to it hold off for a couple of days.

The Lac des Vaux area is where you have two runs called 'Lacs' - a red and a blue plus a black. So from Medran get the lift to Les Ruinettes and then left on the map on the Funispace to the Lac des Vaux area. There are 3 shortish pistes there, but almost everything in between is skiable off piste and ends at the two lifts. A good way to get some easy practise in.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AndreSilva, do you know who your coach is yet?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

That's lac des vaux
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@AndreSilva, good tips above. A few more off the side of the piste spots worth a look are:
Turn right off the top of the Gentianes drag lift and loop back to the lift dropping down anywhere from the Stairway to Heaven traverse track (that you will see on the right from the drag lift)

The big wide area on the right hand side of the Jumbo piste starting just after the steep bit ends

Both sides of the Fontanet piste joining the piste down at the bottom
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
swskier wrote:
@AndreSilva, do you know who your coach is yet?

Not yet, but I met Jamie in Cervinia last month and he said he will be one of the coaches, probably Nick, Chris and Johan too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitters sounds good, thanks!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, thanks for the tips, I'll check those out!
In your opinion, which one is the easiest of the itineraries? Based on some videos, apparently, the Gentianes-Tortin(https://verbier4vallees.ch/en/experiences-in-verbier/freeriding/gentianes-tortin) seems to be a good one to start, quite wide at least, don´t want to scare myself on some crazy narrow runs like Col des Mines on the first day Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AndreSilva, Gentianes-Tortin is the least intimidating IMHO, but also nice and long and wide array of routes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gilo wrote:
@AndreSilva, Gentianes-Tortin is the least intimidating IMHO, but also nice and long and wide array of routes.

Looks like it, probably gonna burn my thighs after all those moguls, but should be fun!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AndreSilva wrote:
@BobinCH, thanks for the tips, I'll check those out!
In your opinion, which one is the easiest of the itineraries? Based on some videos, apparently, the Gentianes-Tortin(https://verbier4vallees.ch/en/experiences-in-verbier/freeriding/gentianes-tortin) seems to be a good one to start, quite wide at least, don´t want to scare myself on some crazy narrow runs like Col des Mines on the first day Laughing

Col des Mines is actually a pretty easy slope and there’s tons of space. You’ve possibly seen videos of the traverse to get there which is actually fine but looks a bit sketchy on some GoPro views. You can see the traverse here (before the piste basher flattens the first half). Over the Col into the cloud is the Col des Mines route. Stay this side to the right is the Vallon d’Arbi which is more committing.

Tortin -> Gentianes is also very wide (but very long). You can warm up with a couple of laps off the drag lift first.

PM me if you like and I might be able to hook you up with someone on the Sunday to show you a couple of routes
snow conditions
Thanks @BobinCH!
latest report
In relation to Col Des Mines, it's only really worth having a go at it if it's snowing or has very recently snowed. Once the sun comes out it melts really quickly (purely south facing) then freezes overnight.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy