Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck ski area recommendations for a Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, I would appreciate some help with choosing an Innsbruck ski area for a Sunday.

My son and I will be staying in Innsbruck to ski/ride from Sunday 4th February 2024 for 3 days following a week in Bad Gastein. We are planning have a day in each of Stubai, Schlick 2000, and Kuhtai. Obviously each day is weather dependent and if we hit lucky it’s the powder/off piste we are looking for. Sunday will be the busiest at all resorts in the 3 days we are there. So which ski area from my list would folks recommended for the Sunday to have the least crowds when all the locals come out to play?

Also, I have been looking at the Ski Plus City pass which covers 13 of the Innsbruck resorts but compared to day tickets it looks more expensive (and we only intent to go to one resort each day). Day passes for Stubai, Schlick 2000 and Kuhtai work out €25 less than the Ski Plus City pass but does anyone know if the Innsbruck Welcome Card that we will get from our accommodation covers the public transport to all 3 areas? Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on the weather which resort you should go to, and how many people will be there. If you have low cloud, Stubai and Kühtai will both be featureless moonscapes, but there won't be anyone there. Ditto if it's windy (both are grim). Schlick is more sheltered and has trees, so would be a better choice for most people, but still doesn't usually get too busy if the weather is bad.

If you get a sunny powder day, the road to Schlick can get a bit clogged (I've heard this happening at Stubai too, but I think it's only really a problem outside the main season when nowhere else is open). The bottom lift at Stubai can get a bit hectic, but the mountain area is pretty big and absorbs a lot of people quickly, so it's normally fine once you're up. Kühtai never gets that busy. Axamer Lizum is the other popular powder day haunt. Maybe too popular sometimes, but only if it's sunny (yesterday was a powder day, but it was low vis so relatively quiet).

Here is the website for the Welcome Card: https://www.innsbruck.info/en/destinations/accommodation/welcome-card.html
I think you can only get as far as Schönberg (for Stubaital) for free, but you should be able to get to Kühtai with it. I think the bus to Axamer Lizum is free for skiers anyway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarlet, Thank you. I think we will opt for Schlick 2000 on the Sunday if all three days are forecast clear. If not we will go to Schlich on the snow/cloud day. I can't find definitive info on the welcome card website I know i can get to Schlick on the STB and Kuhtia. Its no probs if we have to pay on the bus to Stubia.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@eat>sleep>ride>r, from within Scarlet's link, here is a list of the public transport lines including points up to which they are free: https://www.innsbruck.info/getPdf.php?file=pdf/Welcomecard_verkehr.pdf

The STB you can only ride free up until Mutters, as Stubaital does not fall into the Innsbruck (tourism) region - they have their own tourism board.

Kühtai is free though.

I'd say @Scarlet has it right about the resorts above, especially the weather, but I'd note 1. Kühtai doesn't get much föhn, so when it's howling over the Brenner in to Innsbruck Kühtai can actually be a good option and 2. much of the (not instantly tracked) offpiste in Schlick isn't super easy to find your way in and out of as it's off the backside (you'll find good stuff in Kühtai and Lizum more easily).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bus should be free if you are in ski gear! Schlick could be really busy if Stubai is closed, so keep that in mind. As Stubai takes about an hour anyway, you may be better off looking at a train. St anton is barely an hour 20
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gored wrote:
Bus should be free if you are in ski gear! Schlick could be really busy if Stubai is closed, so keep that in mind. As Stubai takes about an hour anyway, you may be better off looking at a train. St anton is barely an hour 20

Didn't think about resorts slightly further a field. Good idea! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the help snowheads. Gives me a few more choices to consider not a bad problem to have when i'm on the train from Bad Gastein on Saturday afternoon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy