Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Follie to Le Lac for novices

Poster: A snowHead
What is the best way for novice skiers to return to Le Lac from the Follie?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Down the Tovière lift.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, Ski down to Tommueses lift, take lift up, take Tovière gondola down
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Yep, Ski down to Tommueses lift, take lift up, take Tovière gondola down

This^^^

Don't be tempted to ski the Johan Clarey black run to get back.

...and welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If they're real novices, they might not find the route to get there all that easy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
If they're real novices, they might not find the route to get there all that easy.

But if the Folie Douce is their thang, and they can get around on easy slopes, then imagine the joy of skiing the Green Triangle to get there. They would love that
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

But if the Folie Douce is their thang, and they can get around on easy slopes, then imagine the joy of skiing the Green Triangle to get there. They would love that

True. The tricky bit is getting to the green triangle. Depending on conditions, the runs from Toviere can be quite intimidating. It's possible that Fresse (I hope I've remembered the lift name right) gives an easier approach straight into the green triangle but I can't remember.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
An alternative to the Toviere download would be to ski the blue to Val Claret and jump on the bus, 5 or 10mins to Le Lac.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bus to val claret and up Fresse, lap green to hearts content before reaching folie. Then return via tommeuse and toviere lifts. Simples. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gilo, +1.

But define novice first. I met a lass at the top of the Olympique who had done 4 hours snowploughing at Cas Xscape but had to get t’Folie. She was frozen with fear at the top of the slope above the Bellvarde Resto. I persuaded her to download, get the bus and up the La Daille gondy. I then had to ski down to her bloke and explain!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perhaps these novices should concentrate on skiing rather than wasting time and money in the Folie.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As others have said in order to GET to the folie they need to navigate a tricky section of blue from the top of the Toviere lift / mountain... and then then the narrow and nasty'ish Edelweiss piste. After that there is the pitch above the folie (best bet is ski the middle of the pitch as the snow is usually the best there and not too busy / bumpy usually) to navigate. If they skis this route after a large dump of snow or during school hols or later in the day it will be a minefield to get there for most skiers with say less than about two weeks skiing under their belt IMO.

However getting back easy via Tommeuse and Toviere download!

If they really want to just experience the folie for an afternoon or whatever then consider the bus around and bus back to and from Tignes - that way can even go in shoes!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gilo wrote:
Bus to val claret and up Fresse, lap green to hearts content before reaching folie. Then return via tommeuse and toviere lifts. Simples. snowHead

Yes. Much easier way to get there than via Toviere.

But on getting off the Fresse chair they will see a massive big hole in the ground ahead of them helpfully marked with massive big wooden stakes. Go RIGHT of the hole, then left at the signpost. Don't go left of the hole, it's not a novice-friendly way down.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 8-01-24 22:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Angus wrote:
- that way can even go in shoes!
Yh but an expert such as yourself would know: apres doesn't count unless it's in ski boots
(That's why snowBoarders can't do it properly Twisted Evil )
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
- that way can even go in shoes!
Yh but an expert such as yourself would know: apres doesn't count unless it's in ski boots
(That's why snowBoarders can't do it properly Twisted Evil )
Toofy Grin

And a gold lame ski jacket Toofy Grin
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
As others have said in order to GET to the folie they need to navigate a tricky section of blue from the top of the Toviere lift / mountain... and then then the narrow and nasty'ish Edelweiss piste. After that there is the pitch above the folie (best bet is ski the middle of the pitch as the snow is usually the best there and not too busy / bumpy usually) to navigate. If they skis this route after a large dump of snow or during school hols or later in the day it will be a minefield to get there for most skiers with say less than about two weeks skiing under their belt IMO.

However getting back easy via Tommeuse and Toviere download!

If they really want to just experience the folie for an afternoon or whatever then consider the bus around and bus back to and from Tignes - that way can even go in shoes!

You mean they can get a bus there and back?
snow report
snow report
Steve0192 wrote:

Bus from Tignes to La Daille in Val D'Isere, up & down the La Daille gondola (need area ski pass), then bus back to Tignes.
Or could wear ski boots & take skis on bus to La Daille & gondola, then back via Tommuses & Toviere (again with area pass).
snow conditions
Steve0192 wrote:

Yes Tignes to La Daille, gondola up, gondola down and bus home yes!
snow report
@Steve0192,

Lots of good information has been posted in this thread.

One fact that I haven't established is will you have a "Tignes Only" ski pass or a full "Tignes/Val" ski pass. If you have the Tignes Only ski pass then the only lift you can use is the Tommeuses Lift which is a Tignes Lift.

I believe that there is, new this year, a bus from Tignes 1800 (by the dam) to La Daille. You'll have to check out the timings of this bus.
ski holidays
Complete novice (greens only): up Tommeuse lift , down Toviere lift.

But then to get to La Folie Douce you'd have taken the (easy) blues Creux/Edelweiss, so an alternative for slightly more competent skiers would be: up Tommeuse lift, then take Henry blue piste to Val Claret and hop on a free shuttle bus to Le Lac.

If the right snow conditions, skiing down from Tovieres (summit) to Le Lac is not that daunting, though, just try it out before rather than decide last minute after having had a few at Folie Douce.
ski holidays
Thanks to all, amazing array of knowledge on how to “get to the pub”! Many thanks everyone. Eh oh!
snow conditions
patrick! wrote:
Complete novice (greens only): up Tommeuse lift , down Toviere lift.

But then to get to La Folie Douce you'd have taken the (easy) blues Creux/Edelweiss, so an alternative for slightly more competent skiers would be: up Tommeuse lift, then take Henry blue piste to Val Claret and hop on a free shuttle bus to Le Lac.

If the right snow conditions, skiing down from Tovieres (summit) to Le Lac is not that daunting, though, just try it out before rather than decide last minute after having had a few at Folie Douce.

Not that daunting? For a beginner?

If you're staying in Lac and you're a beginner, the end of that run back down from Toviere looks like a cliff wall, no matter what the snow conditions look like. I'm happy with fairly steep reds and I'd REALLY not fancy that option....particularly when there's a Gondola going over my head that I could be on.
ski holidays
I feel having a lift full of onlookers makes my bad skiing even worse, you're absolutely right.

Apologies if my remark was badly expressed. I meant for the OP to try pistes levels over the course of the stay, and decide on the route based on that - i.e. it's perfectly possible their level might improve very fast, we're all different.

I watched a yt video about a complete beginner aiming a skiing la Face de Bellevarde by the end of a 6 days' stay - well it's possible! The piste was well groomed, no moguls, not icy that day.
ski holidays
(yes I believe what I watch on yt Smile )
ski holidays
@patrick!, you're not referring to the Taylor McKenzie video are you by any chance?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy