Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for insurance, they all seem to vary a lot in price but 'offer' the same... Thanks Eh oh!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Staysure came recommended by Which? for winter sports trips, it’s cheap, we’ve used it for years … in the end with an annual policy.
https://www.staysure.co.uk/?ds_rl=1300312&msclkid=7451963e20e311e4e436f3a6561ed558&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MPX_UK_SEA_B_None_Pure%20Brand_All_Exact&utm_term=staysure%20insurance&utm_content=Brand%20Pure_Staysure%20Insurance_Exact&gclid=7451963e20e311e4e436f3a6561ed558&gclsrc=3p.ds
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snow&skifan, do you have a link for that recommendation? I'm surprised. It's been highlighted a few times on here that the Staysure policy wording is very odd w.r.t. avalanche risk.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most Banks offer accounts that have travel insurance as part of the benifits.
Nat West had a great one it was "Free for Life" ... until I turned 70 ... I think they thought I would not last this long.

Still a great policy though even at £75.00 per annum.

I think they spell it different though. Confused

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 5-01-24 23:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MPI seems fairly good with regard to T&Cs in my opinion, but they are still underwritten by Ageas which is a huge concern for me, given how Ageas treated a previous valid claim I made.

Columbus Direct also seem reasonably good and a lot cheaper. They allow off piste skiing without a guide, subject to you basically acting sensibly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@TillyT, do you ski off piste? If not, then yeah most are much of a muchness. One of the things (not easy) is to figure out which have good claim handlers (often different to the seller).

I am with LV who seem to have a good rep for claims. But I also ski off piste - which they are good for too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Snow&skifan, do you have a link for that recommendation? I'm surprised. It's been highlighted a few times on here that the Staysure policy wording is very odd w.r.t. avalanche risk.

Which? is behind a members paywall, but I just checked winter sports insurance for you. They rate:

NFU Home & Lifestyle 78%
Barclays Travel Pack 78%
Staysure Signature 76%
Nationwide Flex Plus 74%
AllClear Platinum 73%
Insure & Go Black 73%

Off piste is obviously a special consideration, as is US medical cover.

Something that may interest those unhappy with premiums due to medical histories, is that Staysure is in our experience decent value. Everyone different of course, but our annual premium just £200 for 4 adults despite a lengthy list of meds and bits n pieces. One lengthy phone call at inception, in subsequent years just a brief chat.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 5-01-24 23:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I'm surprised. It's been highlighted a few times on here that the Staysure policy wording is very odd w.r.t. avalanche risk.

Highlighted here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166861&highlight=

I wouldn't use them unless it was clarified in writing what their wording means in practice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snow&skifan, I can see behind the paywall but can't see where you're looking.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:

https://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/travel-insurance/best-and-worst-ski-insurance-aTDsF4R8CXZ8
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I'm surprised. It's been highlighted a few times on here that the Staysure policy wording is very odd w.r.t. avalanche risk.

Highlighted here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166861&highlight=

I wouldn't use them unless it was clarified in writing what their wording means in practice.

It's made it into their FAQs:
https://help.staysure.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/8714480448017-If-there-is-an-avalanche-risk-will-I-still-be-covered-
Unfortunately, the answer isn't helpful. My guess is that they don't actually understand how ski resorts operate at all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow&skifan wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

https://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/travel-insurance/best-and-worst-ski-insurance-aTDsF4R8CXZ8

Interesting. I note the list doesn't include any of the dedicated winter sports policies.

From a quick look at the policy wording of a couple, it's not clear if you'd be covered if you ski anywhere outside of the piste markers, even if it's just a tiny bit or cutting across between pistes. Maybe not an issue to some but would be to me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I spent last night in an ADHD hyperfocus trying to find insurance for son as he is no longer covered on our Flexplus account. I literally read all of the Policy Wordings to see what was covered as some don't make it obvious that medical rescue is included, and most only cover your own skis.

Couldn't really find anything as good as the Nationwide policy for what I considered to be a reasonable price - we don't have our own kit so I was hoping to find one that, like Flexplus, would cover the hire kit. I called FlexPlus and it would have been £70 to add him for a week as a "guest".

I eventually narrowed it down to Allianz and InsureandGo - the InsureandGo was probably the better policy but I plumped for Allianz as it was half the price and good enough as long as the helicopter doesn't cost more than £10million! Cost for 1 week for a 23yrs old with no previous conditions was £38 - I got p'd off with insureandgo because on the comparison sites having asked for winter cover the price was about £30 but when I went to pay I realised that the comparison sites said what the policy covered but the price was based on a standard non-wintersports cover - think it ended up about £65 once that was added.

InsureandGo had a pop up on the site that says medical rescue is part of wintersports, but the actual policy document doesn't make that clear - so I contacted them on chat and they confirmed that if you have Wintersports the section of medical emergency covers an emergency while doing Wintersports and therefore if it was deemed that rescue of the mountain was medically required it would be covered.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I spent last night in an ADHD hyperfocus

My daughter has ADHD, @skimummk, and I recognise that description! Her capacity to master enormous quantities of complex information in the twinkling of an eye and develop and retain a strategic overview is breathtaking. But as you no doubt know to your cost, that superpower is also a burden!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Staysure - Just check the policy wording - in the very small print regarding not covered if the avalanche risk is 3 or above - this was the case previously!
snow report
Dippy wrote:
Staysure - Just check the policy wording - in the very small print regarding not covered if the avalanche risk is 3 or above - this was the case previously!

Already covered above in the thread, including a link to their FAQ (which solve nothing in my view).
latest report
I can give a thumbs up for Insure&Go. Used them for years now & claimed 3 times without any quibble. The last claim in 2022 was for full medical repatriation back to the UK following a pelvis fracture & it was all covered.
snow report
Chuckles3 wrote:
I can give a thumbs up for Insure&Go. Used them for years now & claimed 3 times without any quibble. The last claim in 2022 was for full medical repatriation back to the UK following a pelvis fracture & it was all covered.

+1
latest report
Thanks for all the help guys, insurance Eh oh!
snow conditions
On Nationwide with Flex account, was considering this but off piste is only with a guide (all depends what they think is off piste though. Just going off the groomed into the powder within resort boundary, or proper back country type stuff?).

Also there's no mtb cover at all which for an annual policy if be interested in. Okay most only cover mtb on tame trails but they seem to not cover it at all, only as a hazardous activity addition and still only tame stuff.
snow conditions
Our nationwide insurance with the managed bank account was great was missus hurt herself last year.
Refunded every penny without even asking for a receipt or proof! Was about £600 claim for sausage rescue, xray, busses & unused lift pass.
If I had known it was so quibble free, I would have got a taxi both ways, instead of trying to keep costs down Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Gored, What's a "sausage rescue"?
snow conditions
I commented on SHs years ago about Dog Tag insurance (which advertised on SHs). Their conditions excluded skiing "against local advice". I spoke to their underwriters to clarify this and eventually gave up. Skiing on a closed piste is an obvious case - and cut and dried. But after lots of "skiing outside the resort boundary" stuff, not relevant to European skiing (nobody I could get to talk to was a skier) they said if there was any avalanche risk warning, off piste would clearly be excluded. No matter how much I explained that there was always an avalanche risk warning when there was still snow around, they were adamant.

As far as I'm concerned I would instantly reject any policy which covered off piste "as long as you're sensible". When will somebody get offered a policy which will cover whatever happens "unless you're unlucky"?

If in France, and if in doubt, taking Carré/Carte Neige is a low cost, sensible, thing to do. If you need a team to dig you out, and a helicopter to get your body down, you family won't be faced with the bill like that of a young man (or was it two?) killed in Tignes some years ago.
ski holidays
When I was off-piste skiing, the best non weasel worded policy was from the British Mountaineering Council. The cost depended on what you were doing - as well as the usual factors such as age.

It was expensive, but it also looked sound.
snow conditions
Staysure have just updated their FAQ regarding avalanche cover today (Sun 28 Jan at 16:46 hrs)
https://help.staysure.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/8714480448017-If-there-is-an-avalanche-risk-will-I-still-be-covered-

They confirm that you won’t be covered if you take part in activities in areas classified as avalanche rating 3 or above. The exact written response is as follows:

"You will need our optional Winter Sports Cover, which you can add on when you buy a policy or if you have purchased a policy, you can add this on through your online account before you travel.
You will only be covered by your winter sports travel insurance if resort authorities classify avalanche risk as 1 or 2. You won’t be covered if you take part in activities in areas classified as avalanche rating 3 or above.
Resort authorities classify avalanche risk as follows:
1 = Low
2 = Moderate
3 = Considerable
4 = High
5 = Very High."
snow report
That's odd wording. It might suggest that you won't be covered at all for winter sports if the avalanche risk is above 2. Some redrafting required, I think. It's ambiguous, to say the least.
ski holidays
@Scrunch77, I can't quite figure out what they've changed in that response but it's either completely useless as an explanation of their cover or confirms that their cover is worthless.
ski holidays
@Origen and @sugarmoma666, it would be foolish to take out cover with Staysure, for sure! But their policy has been like that for some years according to other threads on this site.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You will only be covered by your winter sports travel insurance if resort authorities classify avalanche risk as 1 or 2.

That's what it says. It would be interesting to hear from somebody who understands the small print of avalanche warnings. This link doesn't suggest that avalanche warnings don't apply to ALL the resort, including pistes (though obviously considerable efforts will be made to protect pistes, there are no guarantees). https://www.avalanches.org/standards/avalanche-danger-scale/
ski holidays
I can honestly vouch for the yorkshire bank/virgin money account insurance, first hand.

MrsHD broke her wrist ice skating in Sestriere whilst we were on a skiing holiday and they were faultless. We've never shopped anywhere else.

I also claimed a small (£400) amount from my injury in Cervinia in 2023, again faultless.
ski holidays
Has anyone found an insurance policy that acts as a 'top up' to an existing policy?

I already have family cover with the Nationwide FlexPlus account which is, as others have noted, generally well-operated. It covers off-piste *with a guide* so I'm looking to see if there is a way that I can top up this cover with some specific cover for a week (the GhnarliBuG) where I'm hoping to pop off the side of the piste even on those days without a guide/instructor.
ski holidays
@tomj, short answer - no, such a thing does not exist. You would need to buy a whole separate policy.
snow report
I've bought Snowcard before for a single trip and adjusted all the travel parts like luggage, cancellation, etc to £0 and only set the stuff specific to the activity. That was for MTB though as annual insurance I had wouldn't cover anything other than tarmac only really.

Some years ago now though.
snow report
@tomj, As has been noted here many times before being a member of the Alpenverein (Austrian Alpine Club in the UK) provides exactly this. It covers you for any sort of rescue during a sporting activity, no restrictions about guides, off piste etc, etc. The medical cover is very much a top up to your existing health cover you should not rely on just that. If you are going to be going above 6000m or spending an extended period away (I think more than 6 months) then you need to contact their insurance company to get a specific quote but otherwise all included in the membership. See https://www.alpenverein.at/portal_wAssets/docs/service/versicherung/AWS-Folder_E_2023_ebook.pdf
latest report

I’ve got standard travel insurance cover including winter sports through mybank account, plus my EHIC card - and I also have snowrisk cover on my season pass for €59 for the season. I’ve never really looked at the cover before but it’s pretty good - full actual cost of rescue in France, or €15k in CH, €3k of medical cover, and for any activity other than mountaineering (so off piste ok). Now the medical cover isn’t much, but GHIC would cover a chunk of other cost, wouldn’t it? https://gap.gritchen.fr/partenaire/produits/MONTAGNE/cga.php?produit=snowrisk_saison_famille&lang=en

Have also just checked my Halifax account cover and it says 31 days of winter sports cover inc off piste « within the resort boundaries «  - but also covers ski touring!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy