Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I have to book for lunch on the slopes at Zermatt?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been researching and have heard that you have to book everything otherwise you won't be eating until gone 3pm. Is this true?
I hate booking lunch, I never know where i'm going to end up and at what time.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're on your own and/or happy with basic food you'll be fine

if you're a party of 6 and/or want a sit down lunch you need to book
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi thanks, party of 2, don't need Michelin star dining but will still go to well reviewed places. I've never been before
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bobcat, The weather plays quite a big part - Sunny day in March everyone's outside and you'll have your pick of tables indoors. Blowing a gale or freezing cold and it's harder.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bobcat, yes to get a table at the places worth going to eg Chez Vrony, Chalet Etoile, Zum See etc you should definitely book ahead several days
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@bobcat, if you want a specific time then yes you will need to book. Many restaurants offer slots - 12-2 or 2-4. We are always a group of 8 or so and it is a bit of a chore booking it all. I totally understand the desire for flexibility so why don’t you just settle on one or two places you definitely want to try and book those, otherwise use the self service places at Sunnegga/Riffelberg/Trockener Steg etc - no booking required there. The Blue lounge also does lighter snack type lunches and no reservations needed there either. Some of the less ‘big name’ places are also nice and you might well be able to walk in there, eg Chami hitta below Riffelalp and ze seewjinu on the run down to Gant….
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With the restaurant or the mortgage advisor? Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah I guess slots are easier, that's helpful information thanks all
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scotsgirl wrote:
@bobcat, if you want a specific time then yes you will need to book. Many restaurants offer slots - 12-2 or 2-4. We are always a group of 8 or so and it is a bit of a chore booking it all. I totally understand the desire for flexibility so why don’t you just settle on one or two places you definitely want to try and book those, otherwise use the self service places at Sunnegga/Riffelberg/Trockener Steg etc - no booking required there. The Blue lounge also does lighter snack type lunches and no reservations needed there either. Some of the less ‘big name’ places are also nice and you might well be able to walk in there, eg Chami hitta below Riffelalp and ze seewjinu on the run down to Gant….

2 hours for lunch. Haha. It is a rarity that I even have lunch when skiing. I can't in the Wide Wide World of Skiing ever imagine blowing 2 hours on lunch. Maybe that is why I never met a rich, famous, and extremely high maintenance ski bunny.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skimachine, but we are civilized on the continent and we like to have ‘a hot lunch’ although 12 is a late start, i’ve seen many a restaurant full by 11:45 but thats mainly on SchniPo day:lol:
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tangowaggon wrote:
With the restaurant or the mortgage advisor? Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy

Ourf friends were in Zermatt in December and dined out one evening. One had pork schnitzel and potatoes and the other had a ham & mushroom pizza. One drank a 0.5l beer and the other had a small prosecco. The bill was £85! Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The outdoor terrace at the Gornergat Hotel (at the top of er...Gornergrat wink ) is absolutely fantastic for Matterhorn and mountain views. Been there a couple of times without booking. Not for a few years though, when we got considerably more than the current shocking CHF 1.07 to the £ Shocked Another vote for speaking to a mortgage advisor! wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, a restaurant in Luzern was recommended to me - so I had a look online at their menu and a schnitzel is 64chf. A SCHNITZEL!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So was it a nice schnitzel that was worth every penny @Nadenoodlee? Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, i’m not paying 300chf+ to find out - kids never eat it anyway. However if you want to send over the $$ i’ll write you a trip report Very Happy
snow report
Will do @Nadenoodlee Very Happy
latest report
Outside of peak weeks you can almost always get a table for lunch if you call in the morning and are a bit flexible.

My favourites;
Fluhalp
Alphitta (run by two good friends so I’m biased)
Blatten
Zum See
Simi
Chez Vrony
Stafelalp
On Italian side;
Foyer des Guides
Chalet Etoile
Bontadini

Enjoy.
ski holidays
PS. For an epic lunch try Rascard. Only 55CHF for a 20 course lunch with a glass with each course. You need to ski down to Valtournenche and be picked up by a minibus but the restaurant has the most fantastic view over the valley and mountains and it a sun trap in the late season. They then drive you back to the main gondola in Cervinia so it’s only three lifts to get back over to Zermatt.
ski holidays
Quote:
They then drive you back to the main gondola in Cervinia so it’s only three lifts to get back over to Zermatt.
Drive you back? Well you wouldn't be able to walk it after the 20 drinks... Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy