Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gevena Car Hire - French / Swiss

Poster: A snowHead
I am flying into Geneva at the end of the month and driving to Tignes.

I have booked a car from the French side, but still have free cancellation and have been reading regarding Winter Tyres / Chains and Vignette.

Is it going to be easier to cancel the hire and rebook from the Swiss side? (it's around £20 more expensive)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely easier and cheaper to hire from the Swiss side if it's only a £20 difference. If you get it from the French side you can avoid the Swiss motorways and not require a vignette, but you'll need to either rent or buy snow chains which will cost more than £20.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@downinja, Swiss side is much easier all round imho For +£20 its a no brainer
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For £20 I probably would - the difference is normally more than that.

Swiss you will get winter tyres and a Swiss motorway vignette (40CHF/£37 though you can take a route that avoids the Swiss motorways).
France you might get winter tyres - was confusing last year with the department the French hire car places are in having the "winter tyres required" rule, but with individual subprefectures able to opt out...which the French hire car one did, despite being 'land locked' by places that were opted in meaning they didn't HAVE to give you winter tyres - but you'd only be able to drive about 5 miles in any direction!

Anyone hire a car from the French side last year and know what the reality was on the ground?

One bit of advice on hiring on the Swiss side though - use someone like SkyScanner so you can see who's actually providing the car, then try to avoid the cheapest one. Normally there's 1 desk with a huge queue/almost nobody at the others, and who that is changes week to week depending who had a promotion on that week so was cheapest so every man and his dog booked with!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin wrote:
@downinja, Swiss side is much easier all round imho For +£20 its a no brainer

I was pretty much coming to that conclusion but thought I would check.

Booking switched Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Swiss side is much easier all round imho For +£20 its a no brainer

I must be the only one then who always gets lost trying to find the motorway when leaving the Swiss side and gets carved up by everyone else on the roads returning. Never mind having to get the shuttle bus. Ignoring the vignette issue (that is going to become much more difficult with the electonic vignettes coming in shortly) it's usually easier to hire from the French side, but then again the Swiss side is sometimes cheeper. I always check both.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mjit wrote:
For £20 I probably would - the difference is normally more than that.

Swiss you will get winter tyres and a Swiss motorway vignette (40CHF/£37 though you can take a route that avoids the Swiss motorways).
France you might get winter tyres - was confusing last year with the department the French hire car places are in having the "winter tyres required" rule, but with individual subprefectures able to opt out...which the French hire car one did, despite being 'land locked' by places that were opted in meaning they didn't HAVE to give you winter tyres - but you'd only be able to drive about 5 miles in any direction!

Anyone hire a car from the French side last year and know what the reality was on the ground?

One bit of advice on hiring on the Swiss side though - use someone like SkyScanner so you can see who's actually providing the car, then try to avoid the cheapest one. Normally there's 1 desk with a huge queue/almost nobody at the others, and who that is changes week to week depending who had a promotion on that week so was cheapest so every man and his dog booked with!

Booked with EuropCar, got the app to do online check in and avoid all the form filling and have separate excess cover to prevent being scalped with the "all inclusive option" (annual).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Isn't the swiss vignette included in the cars hired from the swiss side? I've never bought it separately before and haven't paid attention to what routes navi was taking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowyc wrote:
Isn't the swiss vignette included in the cars hired from the swiss side? I've never bought it separately before and haven't paid attention to what routes navi was taking.

That’s my understanding.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So, I would only add that swiss parking for car hires is walking distance from terminal so no need to wait for the bus.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is the walking route from the rental desks to P.51 rental car pickup/return:

Note the location of the small petrol station half way along, which is your station of last resort if you haven’t managed to fill-up before you get here when returning the car.

When walking past the middle building you go through two waist-high pavement swing gates. Don’t let this put you off - there are no restrictions on using this route.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jan/Feb check your vignette is for 2024 as rental cars sometimes turn over so rapidly they can forget to replace the vignette. It’s valid through Jan the following year so the 2023 one is OK Jan 2024 but not from 1.2.24
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can follow the route in @LaForet’s post but the one marked just follows the edge of the airport to a pedestrian crossing opposite P51. Cross road, take lift down to the hire car pickups.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DJL, yours is the the route I use- only one road crossing, which has traffic lights, and you can take a trolley as there are no curbs or steps.

Worth noting that this year, Avis on the Swiss side is charging about £10/day cross border charge to take the car out of Switzerland. This is only obvious in the later stages of the booking when, buried amongst the various offers for child seats and ski racks, is the cross border option.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowdave, per DAY! Shocked 30CHF or whatever for the entire trip is bad enough, but a daily charge is daylight robbery!

Some companies still appear to allow you to cross the border for free thankfully.
snow conditions
There's a lot of confusion about the French rules. They do NOT require winter tyres, but if you don't have them, you must have chains or snow socks in the boot. Same as in Italy. I suspect that only a minority of French skiers driving down from Paris to the ski resorts will have winter tyres.

It is easier, in summer, to rent from the French side but in winter Swiss side wins. Getting to and from the airport without the Swiss motorway is more complicated and you need to use a map, or have good directions, not rely on satnavs (which will with maddening determination take you to the international (Swiss) side).
ski holidays
Post trip report back.

Car hire was straight forward on the Swiss side. Winter tyres included, no charge for going out of the country (Europcar). Already had a valid vinette.

Bus transfer to parking garage (it was about to set off), pretty much straight in the car (pretty new Golf Alltrack R).

Drive to Tignes was easy, no snow until got in the village. Drive back also easy despite warnings of French farmers blocking the road (they did a slightly half arsed job in the other direction). Petrol station was about a mile from the airport (Tamoil).

Only drama was EasyJet in Geneva not allowing a separate boot bag (that Manchester had allowed on the same booking), but that's a different story rolling eyes
latest report
snowyc wrote:
So, I would only add that swiss parking for car hires is walking distance from terminal so no need to wait for the bus.

depending on how much luggage you have! We were in a rush once so thought it would save time to do a quick walk, which it really didn't!
ski holidays
downinja wrote:

Only drama was EasyJet in Geneva not allowing a separate boot bag (that Manchester had allowed on the same booking), but that's a different story rolling eyes

Do tell!
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
downinja wrote:

Do tell!

Nothing much to tell other than booked snowboard luggage via EasyJet, read somewhere you could pack a separate boot bag, checked in Manchester->Geneva, all good. Geneva -> Mancester they were having absolutely none of it, offered no explanation. Couldn't tell me why it was fine on the outbound flight because "I don't work in Manchester".

Ended up having enough luggage space to pack the board bag into without paying the extra charge, but one to be aware of if you are flying EasyJet.

Book Skis and their terms specifically state you can have a separate bag. Discrimination if you ask me Very Happy
snow report
on a side note I hired a car in Zurich airport through Hertz, when I left the car back they said there was a small chip in the windscreen and charged me 400CHF extra for the damage. They gave me very blurry photo evidence of a miniscule chip which was almost certainly done before I got the car and would never have been noticed. Be careful renting from Hertz they are nothing more than thieves
snow conditions
@downinja, with EJ if you book skis as your sports item its “skis and boots” then you get a boot bag on top of a ski bag, if you book Snowboard the its just a snowboard bag, no boot bag. Odd, yes, clear on website , so so.
snow conditions
Update on the cross-border charge. On return, I asked Hertz about what it was for, i.e. why I had to pay it.

The explanation was "breakdown recovery in a foreign country". It was c. £30 for the week.

Now I'm off to check if my RAC cover would actually suffice and I'll try rejecting next time...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy