Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Little Snowmageddon chaos on January 6th 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Casa wrote:
Cheers guys all very helpful.
It’s a fixed 4x4 so nothing to select there.
I’ve read the manual and know where my “snow” button is.

All very exciting.

Being able to stop is just as important as being able to go. Once you take your foot off the gas and need to stop you’ll be governed by the same laws of physics as all other cars. Even if you do have snow tyres the car behind may not. Even if you have oodles of traction drive conservatively and defensively and you’ll be fine.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
I'd love to know what the true % of people with a Haldex failed system is driving around with only 2wd when they think they have 4WD - it's only when you really need 4WD you find out!

That's an excellent point!

[Boyracer] If you give it some gas pulling away from a tight junction you can feel the clutch engage. [/Boyracer]
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris_n wrote:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
I'd love to know what the true % of people with a Haldex failed system is driving around with only 2wd when they think they have 4WD - it's only when you really need 4WD you find out!

That's an excellent point!

[Boyracer] If you give it some gas pulling away from a tight junction you can feel the clutch engage. [/Boyracer]

Did you miss the part where he said it was a VW Transporter? Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haldex fitted a a fair few brands VW group Ford Volvo Land Rovers.
We had it on a Tiguan and it worked well for what we needed but you had to be a bit thuggish to know it was operating most of the time. Oil needs changed at correct times.
Never had an issue with ours but mate had one fail.
Faults seem to vary depending on the brand of vehicle they are fitted to?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zero bother getting to Val D my daughter has reported.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just arrived in Les Arcs. No problems at all with inbound traffic. Road clear until 1800m, then just a little bit of snow barely covering the tarmac above that. Not much traffic going up the Tarentaise but still plenty going down the valley, although all flowing smoothly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mods

Delete thread, false alarm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27 wrote:
@mods

I think it was a different story leaving the resort first thing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i came back from Les Menuires.
Except 1-2 km in the Resort the roads were clear
not a problem at all
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
red 27 wrote:
@mods

I thought the posts early today proudly announced no problems encountered?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow&skifan wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
red 27 wrote:
@mods

I thought the posts early today proudly announced no problems encountered?
Only going on what a friend said leaving Arc 1800 at 5.30am this morning. Chains necessary, and too many cars without them. Complete chaos? No, but not an easy journey at the end of a busy New Year week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowmageddons occur when the snowline goes all the way to Chambery and Albertville, at 250-350m elevation. Bourg is 800m, Moutiers 500m. I believe the currrent freezing level is about 1,200m so it was never going to be an issue once you're out of resort.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 6-01-24 22:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Snowmageddons occur when the snowline goes all the way to Chambery and Albertville, at 250-350m elevation. I believe the currrent freezing level is about 1,200m so it was never going to be an issue once you're out of resort.

This. Marginal temperatures, it was just hype and interesting to us Alps enthusiasts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SlightlySnowyMostlyWetNotReallyChaoticButaBitDisruptiveEarlyDoorsAgeddon snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Snowmageddons occur when the snowline goes all the way to Chambery and Albertville, at 250-350m elevation. Bourg is 800m, Moutiers 500m. I believe the currrent freezing level is about 1,200m so it was never going to be an issue once you're out of resort.

It can happen for late arrivals when Mr Plough has finished his shift. Still some late afternoon flights out of blighty mean nighttime arrival in resort.. freezing conditions, some snow & ice, can make it quite hazardous. Only need one person to clog up the road for everyone else.
snow conditions
@Gored, that's at resort level. It won't tail back to Chambery! And Mr Plough works 24 hours when it matters.

Take it from an ex resort and airport transfer driver, Snowmageddons don't occur when one tw@t blocks the road in resort. It's when many tw@ts block the access roads every 200m or so from Moutiers onwards and there aren't enough tow trucks to pull them out of the way. On the main roads, it's because some idiot's gone into the barrier and plod can't get through. When the snowline's close to resort level, the problems are restricted to resort level.
ski holidays
Sunday Morning, Easy drive to and from Chambery falling snow and low viz down to Aime but then black Tarmac all the way. (Did need snow tyres to get out of resort)
Steady constant flow of traffic outbound on the N90 at Aime seen on the return
Chambery flights on time despite low ish cloud rain and a bit of wind.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
I've had so many problems with Haldex on my 4-Motion transporter.

Cars still coming down from the Lautaret with chains etc on as conditions up there must be bad with strong winds blowing snow across the road.

And then feel for those I've seen taking their chains off having got on to the clear road residential side roads unaware that in 10 km they'll have to put them back on!

There's a lot out there, 2 friends had failed haldex years ago... and my brothers car had it last week!
ski holidays
Drive to Lyon yesterday was completely uneventful, not even raining. We left at 16h40 and arrived in Lyon city center where the boy has a flat at 18h30. Not too bad. Snowline was around 1100m when we left.

Seems like parts of the Pyrenees did get a snowmaggedon with motorists stranded for hours on the roads

Quote:
the authorities are urging motorists to exercise caution in the face of the difficult weather conditions. Several cases of stranded drivers have been reported, notably on the Col du Pourtalet and in Sainte-Engrace. These drivers, often lacking mandatory equipment such as snow tires or chains, have suffered the consequences of their stupidity.

Locals had a different viewpoint, accusing the authorities of not clearing cols into Spain to force skiers to stay in France.
latest report
@davidof, How very French Toofy Grin
ski holidays
A car went over the edge on the road up to Meribel-Mottaret this morning.

snow conditions
Saturdays Edinburgh Jet2 Innsbruck flight ended up in Munich
Return flight was Sunday
Some would have had a bit of a late night getting to accommodation
snow report
@Mike S, had the car which left the road been heading downhill, or uphill? Were the occupants Ok?
latest report
@pam w, I don’t know which way it was going but understand that the passengers were ok.
ski holidays
I suspect they were coming downhill and took that bend too fast. There was a spot like that on the road near our apartment - the local garage, which was very close by, made good money pulling people up out of the trees.
snow report
I suspect they were coming downhill and took that bend too fast. There was a spot like that on the road near our apartment - the local garage, which was very close by, made good money pulling people up out of the trees.
snow conditions
The old folk from the CAF Annecy had a fright when their bus skidded off the road ruining their ski tour

snow conditions
LOL Mike S stealing my photo off Facebook.
Car was heading downhill, occupants were OK but pretty lucky, another half metre and they would have gone at least 20 metres down the bank.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With my "transport manager's" hat and glasses on, I wonder if the (quite old) coach would have been better with winter tyres on it?
snow conditions
Nemisis wrote:
With my "transport manager's" hat and glasses on, I wonder if the (quite old) coach would have been better with winter tyres on it?

Those tires don't look great, do they?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Road looks perfectly fine (assuming suitably prudent driver in suitably equipped car).
snow report
Well yes, but those are heroic assumptions.....
snow report
@davidof, just out of interest, do the regulations on winter equipment apply to public service vehicles? Would there be a question of liability for the driver or owner of that coach as those tyres are pretty shocking?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Well yes, but those are heroic assumptions.....

Hardly, what’s your assessment of the road surface from that photo?
ski holidays
My assessment is that someone taking that bend too fast (and who is therefore NOT a prudent driver) could easily skid off it, especially without the right tyres. Perhaps went into a skid then failed to correct it in time.
snow conditions
Complicated conditions in the Pyrenees and Massif Central today

snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@davidof, just out of interest, do the regulations on winter equipment apply to public service vehicles? Would there be a question of liability for the driver or owner of that coach as those tyres are pretty shocking?

Same as for cars, they at least need to have a pair of chains in the boot. Sad

I remember the coaches on my son's school trips were always getting stuck in the mountains in the winter.
snow conditions
That picture can't be in France, @davidof. Lots of people assure us on Snowheads that "they" always keep the roads clear.
ski holidays
Is this the place to point out it is now officially SNOWING IN LONDON! YAAAAY! Surely a formal '-mageddon' classification cannot be far off.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, oh gawd - that means the news will be full of "blizzard" reports (aka 1cm) and people crashing into things
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy