Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valfrejus vs Chamrousse

Poster: A snowHead
I know that mid Februar is evwrywhere crowded.
But unfortunately we are tied with school holidays and the only possibility is 10 Till 17 Feb
I want to keep the Budget low so the big resorts in France are out.
I found some Good offers from Valfrejus and Chamrousse. Whats your experiences from These two?
I know that Chamrousse is over Grenoble and it is overcrowded at weekends.
Any Suggestions between These two?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@turms2, I've skied both but prefer Valfrejus.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:
@turms2, I've skied both but prefer Valfrejus.

To be honest Looking the ski maps i Prefer also valfrejus but it doesnt bother to go to chamrousse if it is generelly better
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No-brainer: Valfrejus.
Maurienne is much less overcrowded in high season. With the right skipass you can also ski nextdoor resort La Norma, which is even better. And Valfrejus is nice looking resort, whereas Chamrousse is an eyesore.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have experience with Chamrousse - spent a lot of time skiing there when I was a student in Grenoble many years ago. Fond memories. Depends on how good you are you might get bored as it's a small resort (but still decent). I have never actually stayed overnight in Chamrousse as I just commuted from Grenoble so can't comment on the accom.

Not been to Valfrejus. Could consider Sept Laux if you are looking for a small-ish resort? If you are looking for budget stay snowtrex has some good deals on small resorts normally.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laux is not the best Option because i will be with Kids and Laux Haß many Black slopes
I am looking at snowtrex also
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, since you didn't book yet, then it's easy.

In Maurienne
1. Valmeinier
2. Valloire
3. Val Cenis

Alternatively
4. Vaujany (Alpe d'Huez area)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is Vaujany a Good Option for family with kids Without Alpe d'Huez?
With the Kids doesnt worth the Extra money i think
In La Plagne or Les Menuires didnt manage to use the Extra areas
The village looks strenge. How you Move through the village? With ski Bus?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Valfrejus is a good option and not overly busy during school holidays.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am between Valfrejus and Vaujany.
I find Vaujany a litten bit better for the Kids with the Event Programm and the swinming Pool.
Is it possible to Upgrade the ski pass from vaujany Tinte whole area for a Day?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@turms2, what's your budget and how many bedrooms do you need? do you need ski in ski out? would you like to ski 3 valleys?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we are two adults with two kids.
dont bother about the size of the Apart.
The kids are 6 and 8, so the are happy to sleep in the bed bunks. All the appartmens we had until now were something like this (around 20 qm)
But i am trying to keep the Budget below 1.500 Euro for Appart and Ski pass, thats why i look in the not so well known ski resorts.
Most important for us is ski in ski out, or at least that the ESF Meeting Point is not more als 100m away.
This is the reason i prefer France from Austria or Sout Tirol (we live in Germany, so theoretically Austria etc are the best option for us, but i hate this "driving-parking searching-walking to the lifts" in the high Season)

About 3V : of course. Yesterday came back from Les Menuires. But for this Week in February is everything over our budget
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes that all makes sense, €1500 for accommodation and ski pass is a tiny amount as a three valleys ski pass in its own would be less than that. I’ve got an idea that might work for you but I will drop you a message direct
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajc2260626 wrote:
Yes that all makes sense, €1500 for accommodation and ski pass is a tiny amount as a three valleys ski pass in its own would be less than that. I’ve got an idea that might work for you but I will drop you a message direct

well to be honest it was not in the plan a week in Februar.
And now it is too late as the best offers are already booked.

I do not have big expectations althouth. I found something really good in Vaujany but the ski school is sold out for the Silber and i let it.
I am between Corbier or Valjefrus right now
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well...unfortunately i had to pick up Chamrousse.
And i say unfortunately because was not my 1st choice, but the last. But as many already said, findind a ski course in the Half Term is the biggest problem.
Either i didnt find something in my budget, or there was no course for one of the kids, or one had to go early in the morning and the other at the afternoon.

Even so, i am not 100% sure about chamrousse. I am still waiting a confirmation from the ESF (i booked the ski course als package with the Appartment from Chamrousse website)
ski holidays
@turms2, I've not been to Chamrousse but don't sweat it, it will be fine. When our kids were that age we went to La Norma for example (Easter not HT) and it was enough. And good for budget.

As you say, being parked for the week and being close to the lifts, and in your case, ski school, is key.
snow report
indeed....the good thing is that the ski pass costs 592 for the family, and that gives me a little "space" to book something more convenient and bigger as regards as accommodation.

But to be honest, didnt expect that with the ski courses....it is more difficult as the accommodation i think
snow conditions
turms2 wrote:
indeed....the good thing is that the ski pass costs 592 for the family, and that gives me a little "space" to book something more convenient and bigger as regards as accommodation.

But to be honest, didnt expect that with the ski courses....it is more difficult as the accommodation i think

Yup. That's because unlike other countries (Austria, Germany come to mind; don't know about Switzerland but suspecting similar) French ski schools can't expand their work force indefinitely.

But don't cry over Vaujany. Been there last week, had a quite nice apartment (Les Epinettes), but it's not any good with little kids nor anyone during school hols, except you can afford a private ESF guide all the time in order to jump all the queues.
Chamrousse ist OKish, better than Valfrejus, which is just one mountain. 7Laux would be much better still, though, or better still Grand Domaine or Galibier-Thabor (in that order).
snow report
Ok if you say so. I neuer beim there but the Pool and the Programm for Families looked promising.

The ski schools dont jump the queues? Like in Other resorts?

7Laix is gull of Black slopes meaning not the Best for my daughter.
Grand Domaine or Galibier-Thabor were in the top of my List but not in the Budget.
The half term week was not in the Programm. Thats why i looked for something inexpensive
ski holidays
Chamrousse is good for kids, lots to do outside of skiing as well. For example a walk or snowshoe trip to lac Achard with a picnic. Motoneige, even for kids. Tyrolean zip line. Sledging. Ski touring is good if you are into that sort of thing. Cross country. Ice driving if you have a license.

Let's see if the ESF works out. There is also an international ski school I believe but they will all be heavily booked at half term.

Ski touring in the Chamrousse backcountry Very Happy
ski holidays
@Tristero, lets not forget though that France has always operated a closed shop unlike the rest of Europe, so they never allowed any other associations to have lower levels instructors tech unlike, Austria, CH, Italy, Spain etc etc...... so they don't have the amount they need in peak weeks hence 12 to a class at half term Laughing
latest report
what i dont really like in Chamrousse is the view of Grenoble. I like the resorts where i see only mountains round me...but it is what it is. I think i have to be happy founding something in this Week, cheap, and almost 4 weeks before.

Questions : is Grenoble nice? worths a visit? never been there, and the only thing i know is the the criminality level is relative high.
snow report
turms2 wrote:

Questions : is Grenoble nice? worths a visit? never been there, and the only thing i know is the the criminality level is relative high.

Not really worth a visit.
snow report
turms2 wrote:

Bagged a reasonable last minute deal here next week- where is the family ski pass please Cool
latest report
592 for two Adults and two kids (6 days)
i find it reasonable
snow report
@cheerybob, sometimes resorts do have a "family" rate - I know La Plagne/Paradiski does for example. But looking at their website Chamrousse doesn't have this.
snow conditions
try here

https://ski.chamrousse.com/sejour/

Pack Tribu
Pour les forfaits de 6 et 7 jours, 10% de remise à partir de 4 personnes payantes

ALPIN & NORDIC Séjours

Séjour 6 Jours

11/02/2024

594,00 €
snow conditions
cheers! now just to find last minute board lessons ...................................
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy