Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annecy stop on Return Journey

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, will be driving back from Meribel to Geneva on a Thursday for an evening flight. I am considering stopping in Annecy for an hour or two to split the Journey.
Would anyone have any tips of things to see/do and also nice spots for some lunch? Have only ever driven the motorway routes, so I will have no idea where to go.
Any help greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The old town is lovely, but a very small area - an hour or so for a stroll and lunch would be fine, though it can be a bit dreary in mid-winter. Parking underground nearby. Don't confuse the old town with "Annecy le Vieux" which is quite a different kettle of fish.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam, (always very helpful). any tips for spots for lunch etc? We would only be staying an hour or so anyway to stretch the legs, so any help is appreciated. Will steer clear of Annecy le Vieux.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've done something similar on our way to Albertville. IIRC we parked by the lake near the Jardins de l'Europe (lots of parking directly off the main road). From there, follow the river into the old town and there is plenty of choice of restaurants. The first time we stopped, it was late and I didn't know this area existed, so we ate in a restaurant in the nearby square. The second time, we turned up in daylight and found the area to be very beautiful in spring.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above there is parking at the south end of the lake, far end if you coming from Meribel. The old town is along the river to the East about 5 minutes walk. In the summer it is absolutely heaving and you might struggle to get a restaurant table, but should be fine in the winter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stopped there twice in the sun. Had a nice meal and got leathered each time. Happy daze. Not sure sure it would be so nice mid winter
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@j b, have you got your map upside down?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@B1g_browner, "parking stade nautique" is the surface carpark virtually central to anything easily walkable, beside the lake where it intersects the town. Searchable easily with that name as seems pretty unique.

A very nice place to stop and access adhoc the various places there.

Lake is absolutely stunning in winter too Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:

Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
He's throwing the opposition of the scent. You can't be too careful.

An alternative, quieter and very attractive, is Menthon St Bernard on the quiet, east (really!) side of the lake. There's a restaurant there, plenty of free parking (follow the road down marked "Port" rather than "Plage") and a nice short walk along the lake.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If the weather isn't so great I can recommend the parking in "Parking Courier" which is the underground parking at one of the shopping centres right in the middle of the town near the station. We used it to park overnight when we stopped there on the way down to the alps.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet wrote:

Whoops, don't know what made me think the Albertville road round the lake was from the North.

For South read North, and for East read West. If that makes sense. Or as you are driving in, as you reach the bottom of the lake the car parks are round to the right and the old town is to the left.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Or as you are driving in, as you reach the bottom of the lake the car parks are round to the right and the old town is to the left

Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@B1g_browner, I've got admit that while Annecy is, in places, quite pretty, it doesn't do much for me (far, far too touristy).

If your routing takes you thru Chambery, I think Aix-les-Bains (the port) is nicer. And the restaurants are (a lot, IMHO) better. I quite liked Chambery as well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have often taken returning skiers to Menthon St Bernard on the way back to Gva. Still touristy, I suppose, but in a much lower key way and so easy for access and parking. And a lovely outlook on the lake - nicer and more natural than the "foreshore" at the top of the lake.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Stopped there twice in the sun. Had a nice meal and got leathered each time. Happy daze. Not sure sure it would be so nice mid winter

EOSB 07 When the coach broke down. fantastic afternoon in the sun
latest report
j b wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

Whoops, don't know what made me think the Albertville road round the lake was from the North.

For South read North, and for East read West. If that makes sense. Or as you are driving in, as you reach the bottom of the lake the car parks are round to the right and the old town is to the left.

Annecy is at the top of the lake, not the bottom.
The bottom of the lake is at the southern end and is called Bout du Lac!
However you are right in stating there is a car park on the right (there's one on the left beforehand too) and the old town is on the left side of the main road.
We're stopping off on our way out at Le Pelican.

Lake Annecy is one of my favourite places on the planet. Some stunning places on the east side in summer.
ski holidays
Our favourite stop is Talloires on the eastern shore. It’s quieter than Annecy and has views to die for. Park in the small car park and walk down to the plage - there’s a small restaurant there.
ski holidays
JDL65 wrote:

I'm not really clear what the top and bottom of a lake are, surely the top is the surface and the bottom is the bed?
snow report
@B1g_browner, what's your lunch budget? If it's substantial, there's always Père Bise in Talloires, currently with two Michelin stars, I think. The views from the dining room are stunning. It's a very long time, sadly, since I've been to Talloires but, at the other end of the scale, there used to be a simple restaurant attached to the plage, which did stellar omelettes and frites; I don't know if it still exists and, if it does, whether it's open in winter.
snow conditions
marlin wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

EOSB 07 When the coach broke down. fantastic afternoon in the sun

Happy days....
snow report
@marlin, @holidayloverxx
Oh yes
snow conditions
Christ, I didn’t expect this post to get half the replies that it did. So many options and tips given. We usually stop at a motorway services in a rush to catch the last flight of the day and never have the luxury of stopping somewhere nice. I’ll have a snoop on google maps and see what it brings up. Any other tips or ideas are very welcome!
ski holidays
@B1g_browner, we've had lunch here a few times, but it's well off your route. https://maps.app.goo.gl/SCtcgdyaQdRyhHEu7
snow report
Did a stop off in Talloires on the east side of the lake once on the way back from La Plagne late season. Lovely spot, think we ate at the Cafe de La Place. Wandered down to the park and beach for a sit in the sun afterwards.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
JDL65 wrote:

I'm not really clear what the top and bottom of a lake are, surely the top is the surface and the bottom is the bed?

The lake bottom is the bed for those who sleep with the fish - a "cosa nostra" expression hidden somewhere in there
snow conditions
Quote:
The lake bottom is the bed for those who sleep with the fish - a "cosa nostra" expression hidden somewhere in there
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ok so having looked, I think its either Menthon St Bernard or Talloires.
Will the restaurants be open in winter?
@under a new name, I think the place you are recommending isn't open at this time of year?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
B1g_browner wrote:
Ok so having looked, I think its either Menthon St Bernard or Talloires.
Will the restaurants be open in winter?
@under a new name, I think the place you are recommending isn't open at this time of year?

Quite a lot close for the winter, suggest you do an internet search.
snow report
I wouldn't rule out Annecy though - its a beautiful place, one of my favourites in the area. And yes it can get touristy but that's because its such a gorgeous place to visit. Most restaurants will be open in the winter too
latest report
@B1g_browner, I could well believe that.

If in Annecy, then, we had a nice lunch here https://www.brasseriebrunet.com/carte
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing So Annecy may be back on the list then....
snow conditions
We were in Annecy for lunch just before Christmas.
We went to a great little crêperie called Quai Numéro 10 right next to Le Palais de I'Île which is probably the most photographed building in town.
We parked in Parking de l'hôtel de ville which is underground and no more than a 3 minute walk from the Crêperie. Plenty of other places to eat within a stone's throw of there too.
Parking wasn't expensive.
Looking at your route that adds less than ten minutes to your overall journey so fairly painless and definitely nicer than an Autogrill...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy