Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lively snow-sure resorts in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm doing some research as where to goto in Italy next Christmas. I'm looking for a lively resorts a good choices of shops, cafes and restaurants, a train connection is a bonus.
I've been to Rauris in Austria but we found that very quiet. Zell am See was very lively, maybe there is an Italian equivalent ?

Also somewhere which has a good snow record in December.

Hope I'm not asking for too much Very Happy
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Livigno -need to go high to have some reassurance of snow at xmas. only downside is longish transfer to get there. Maybe do-able by train from Zurich as its up close to swiss border.

I've not been, but daughter went last winter in mid dec and it was pretty much all runs open.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks t44Tomo, excellent recommendation.

I should have mentioned we are flying into Turin so Livigno is too far a trek but thank you for your recommendation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sauze D’Oulx is lively and close to Turin. Not really snowsure early season but you’d be unlucky if it wasn’t reasonable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sauze has a terrible snow record. Many times tour operators are shipping customers over to Montgeneve. I'd only go sauze on a powder mission after a retour d'est
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe nowhere in Italy within very easy reach of Turin that’s snowsure at Xmas?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1. Livigno
2. Cortina
3. Courmayeur
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cervinia or La Thuile? If it's Christmas week it will probably be more lively just with Christmassy stuff - though that's a guess!?

Both easy from Turin anyway, and have relatively good snow records in comparison. Puzzled

ETA whitegold might have inadvertently hit on something there with Courmayeur - the village is lovely and should be more lively than the others.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 4-01-24 16:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cervinia?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sauze / Via Lattea have been awfully slow this year at opening many slopes. They didn't get the links opened until just after xmas (although it was windy over xmas so maybe they were planning to open them for Xmas week but were a bit late. Still only about 30% of slopes open over the Italian side of Via Lattea. That said its still a lot of kms to go at Sauze is a lively Apres and Oulx is on the main line trains

also @boomboom666, you dont mention whether beginners etc? If previous experience is one week at Rauris you need to factor in beginner friendly resorts?

I skied a few of the Aosta resorts but stayed in Aosta town (same as @ElzP I think... search for her trip report for details). Aosta wasn't wild, but I suspect the smaller villages are even quieter. Aosta on a trainline too.
Cervinia & La Thuile will be most snow sure, Pila most convenient (big gondola from Aosta town)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bormio might suit you.

It is a beautiful Medieval town, spas, monday night party in the square. Probably 3-4 days skiing in bormio itself then jump on the free bus to san colombino/ Le motte (only a few runs but the most beautiful ski runs in europe IMHO) or santa Catarina (runs ok but no more than 1 days skiing)

They have an olympic sports stadium with ice skating + great sports bar. I have seen the world speed skating there and there is world figure skating there this Jan as a warm up event for the olympics.

You can fly to any milan air port then get train up mountain to Tirano, then regular bus up to bormio. Cheap as chips.

As it has it's own bus station, you can easily get public bus to livigno. I think 40 mins away ? Again cheap tickets.

Bormio also has night skiing. Quite a few bars + restaurants but very italian so does not get 'banging'

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 12-01-24 14:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowsure Livigno or Bormio
skisure Dolomites
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think from Turin you are choosing between Sauze and Cervinia. The likes of Livignio and Bormio, however good, are just too far on the transfer.

Out to the two mentioned I would do Cervinia in December. Not as good for apres but there are a few bars and a couple of clubs (at least there were when went there some years back) but snow sure and if you avoid any gales, the opportunity to ski to Zermatt.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy