Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortisei to Marmolada and back in one day only skiing, is it possible?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if there is a post about this as Im sure its been asked before. Is it possible for a group of average speed skiers to make it from Ortisei to Marmolada and back in one day? Assuming leaving at first lift from Seceda and Mid Jan for how busy the lifts will be.

Fist time skiing in Val gardena area, but Ive actually been up part of Marmolada in the summer and it is beautiful (went to see the marmots), so Id love to go back and ski down it in the winter.

I guess its doing Ortisei to Santa Cristina + half sella ronda + what looks to be 7 more lifts and then back.

If we only make it back to Santa Cristina or Selva then its no problem as we can just catch the ski bus but would love to do it all by skiing if possible.

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No problem. Seceda to to of Ciampinoi takes no time. Back into Selva, Costa Bella the Dantercepies and you're away towards Alta Badia. Crack on and don't dawdle over lunch. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s possible and the views on a clear day from the top are spectacular. Worth half an hour to take it all in.

Marmolada lifts can get busy. Also in mid January, by afternoon, the descent from Marmolada can be chopped up and a bit icy, with people struggling on it.

A full day for average skiers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did it last year, skiing all the way there and back but that meant getting more or less the first lift up and just about getting the last lift back (within 3 mins). That was in February so probably busier than mid Jan. Worth doing and as you say there's always the bus from Selva if need be.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never timed it but I always think Selva to Arabba going anti clockwise is quicker than going via Corvara
I would leave lunch till your back to Arabba then you will have a good idea how much time you have left.
Arabba to Ortisei and back on its own is a decent run out time wise if you have a lunch stop or it is for us anyway. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you would be pushing it time-wise too, but there's always the bus option back from Selva/Santa Cristina if you haven't got time to get up to Seceda.

I agree with @Garfield that anti-clockwise to Arabba makes more sense and leave lunch until back to Arabba.

Or could you get an early morning bus up to Plan de Gralba to get a head start on the crowds?

Might be worth doing a dry run to Arabba, so you can time it and get to know that part of the route well, though the Sella Ronda is well signposted.

At Arabba, you need the gondola and get off at the mid stage to catch the chairs over Passo Padon.

Also you need a clear day, no point going if there's cloud on the peaks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy