Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keeping old Volkl Mantras or buying Blizzard Brahma?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi SnowHeads,

Considering a ski change here. I'm 185cm tall, weigh 88kg, and classify myself as an intermediate/advanced skier. Currently, I'm on Volkl Mantra's (2012) at 170cm and 96mm underfoot.

Local ski shop has a 40% off on all 2023 skis, and I'm eyeing the Blizzard Brahma 88 at 172cm. Priced at 430 EUR (without bindings). No chance for demo testing in the Aussie summer, so it's a bit of a leap before my March ski trip to Zermatt and 3V.

I like my Volkl Mantra's but tempted by the offer. Thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would consider changing, but not for the reason you might think...

At 88kg and an advanced intermediate, I think you have been skiing on something a little short...and if leaving the Piste, very short.
If you stay On Piste, you should be on at least 177.

Rather than take my word for it, talk to the shop and see what they say...but for me, the only reason to change would be to get on a longer ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are your Volkl Mantra’s worn out?

For mostly piste skiing, in variable snow conditions, with occasional off piste, Blizzard Brahma 88 is my favourite.

I’m a bit shorter and lighter than you but I’d be looking for 177 cms length.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
you need longer planks anyway, may as well go all in and get Brahama at about 177-180.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Malbec85 Brahma in 183cm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Malbec85, as said above your skis are too short.

Mrs U (who is admittedly a very good skier) has been on 177cm Mantras for ages but weights less than 60kgs...

I don't think the Brahmas as a ski will be too different (obvs narrower) - maybe a wee bit more damp? But the 2012 Mantra was pretty damp itself iirc. (We had the 2011 model year).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, I have always thought her skis are too long, as you know!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zzz, she knows her own mind Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have both M5 and Brahma although I regretted getting them slightly. Nothing wrong with either (in fact both are excellent) it's just that they are very similar skis. Mantra is a bit stiffer and Brahma floats better for me in powder despite them being thinner. Disclaimer I have tele set up on both so the stiffness is more pronounced for me (you might not feel that much of a difference).

On length I think it's a trade off between stability and maneuverability and it's a personal preference.

IMO you can't go wrong with either so I guess the question for you is if you would be happy to buy another set of skis that are similar to M5 or would you want to be more adventurous and get different skis (e.g. carving or some fat skis).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rent longer skis in Europe.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Malbec85, what is the mileage on the Mantra's? And what are the bindings? Might be coming to end of natural life anyhow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Malbec85, Volkl Kendo 88 in 177cms - Done! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I've decided to make the most of the offer and went for the Brahma's in 177cms.. I will now need to purchase bindings, so I welcome everyone to suggest any particular bindings. (I know nothing about the topic)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Malbec85, binding ways you pay for what you get. The more you pay the better the materials used.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy