Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone ever upgrade hire skis?

Poster: A snowHead
A little question,

Does anyone ever bother with going for Superior or VIP skis if you hire?

Are standard OK generally?

Do they make any difference for (largely) beginner skiiers?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My husband used to before he bought his own, & always felt it was worth paying the extra. I've never bothered, & havent bought my own yet. Getting to a point tho where it is going to be more cost effective to have my own, I think. I'll just have to check that knee & confidance will still let me ski in Jan!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddyr, I think the higher "grade" of skis to some extent goes with experience level - so beginners asking for them would probably get skis too demanding for their ability - and might get unsuitable skis. Be interesting to see what folk like easiski or SMALLZOOKEEPER have to say.

Generally, I tell the hire shop what sort of skiing I am hoping to do - say a ski that I have found suitable before - and maybe ask to try something I have read about - and see what they have to say. I don't ask for a "superior" or "VIP" ski. Generally the result works well for me - though I may go back to the shop after a day or 3 and tweak the ski length or width.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eddyr,
Always, for me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eddyr, Most hire shops offer three choices and, being an intermediate skier, I always plump for the middle option. I don't know how much difference performance skis make, but this year I discovered that tuning makes an enormous difference.

Five days into the holiday, my wife and one of my kids were told by their instructors to take their skis back for a wax and sharpen. We followed this advice (feeling pretty self conscious - what right did ordinary mortals like us have to ask for such an esoteric service?) and the effect was dramatic. I would never have believed that skiing for a few days in good snow conditions could have degraded the operation of my skis to such an extent.

In future, whatever equipement I hire, I'll always ensure a mid-holiday tune-up is included in the deal.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eddyr, The most important thing is that the skis have been serviced recently - sharp edges (running your fingernail across should shave a little nail off), and waxed bases. snowHead

This applies to all grades of ski that any shop may hire. The higher grades of ski will suit more experienced skiers - but the most important thing is the servicing mentioned above. It is not necessarily the case that a higher grade of ski will be in any better condition !

So - for your beginners, the answer is probably not - as long as the skis have sharp edges, and wax on the bases.

Remember that, as with boots, there's nothing to stop you taking them back and changing them, or asking for them to be waxed/edged. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do, and I think it's worth it. One advantage is that you can usually change a 'superior' pair as often as you want for a diiferent type
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did hire top-of-the-line skis once last season. (Took my own planks for the other trip.) Well worth it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hired VIP grade skis last season for the first time -- definitely worth it from my point of view as I ended up with Metron B5s which were absolutely fantastic. I'd intended to take advantage of being able to swap them around but didn't bother in the end. On previous trips I'd tended to go for the superior option, but didn't notice such a big step up from the basic skis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Always. I have also found that many shops' "VIP" skis are still only high end "advanced" skis. It's relatively rare I think to be able to hire really top of range models.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've also noticed that Superior/VIP skis tend to be the current season's skis whereas the bog standard basic level are often a year or two old
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch, yep, seen that too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I upgraded in Pas De La Casa last year and it was a bit embarrassing as the shop asked me to choose the type of ski I wanted. I didn't recognise any of them so it was a bit "pot luck".
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hired an intermediate level board for one of my trips this year.

But on another, I hired an advanced level board & certainly noticed the difference.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
YES.... (because I keep being foiled trying to take my own with me)

Namaste in Argentiere were great and even mounted some new skis for me to give me suitable skis in the correct length (I'm only 5'2" but ski on Stockli race skis in 160cm or more normally). I'd say get gear from this guy anytime - no rip off approach happening from him.

In Livigno I went for the better skis - and they were OK skis but totally unsuitable for my needs. I'd told them what I normally ski on and the length... for some reason they then gave me a ski that was >15cm shorter than the shortest ski I have ever skied.... the instructors told me that next time THEY will get friends to provide the skis if I cannot bring mine... (could be dangerous as the ex-racer thinks he would like to see me ski on a 170cm ski Shocked )

Seems you get measured up as "tourist" despite telling them your regular ski tools and where you intend to ski...

Demoing often gets you better skis than hire....

I still prefer my own over any hire skis...
snow report
If I hire I'll generally rent demos as I can choose what I want for the conditions - you may have to visit a few shops before you find it though. On a weekend trip with increasing costs to fly with your own gear this can be almost breakeven. Hard to find tele rentals though lots of places & I'd say snowbaord hire stock at most rental shops is pretty poor quality - maybe becuaseboarders buy their own gear much earlier.
snow report
fatbob, surely that's cos there is little difference between one dinner tray and another?

little tiger, Isn't being measured as a tourist only natural? 99.99% of clients will be tourists who often overinflate their abilities. I agree it's irritating, but could be worse... wink

I suspect when I rent I generally am on demo skis.

But here's a short list of places I like renting from:

Francois Baud Sports, Morzine. No question, most lovingly tuned skis I have ever skied on.

In fairness the test centre at MT Snow, VT had a good selection. Frachey Sports and Rent&Play in Champoluc are good (I think R&P lent me back to back Stockli race skis (one day SL, one day GS) one weekend for the princely sum of €15 - lovely!).

Errr, that's it I think. Haven't yet tested the SZK (or his skis)...but that's coming this season... Mwooahhh ha ha ha!

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. If you need a pair of 218cm DH boards then Staeger sports in Murren are your boys. Actually - go for the 223cm Atomics rather than the 218cm Sallies as the Salomons, as usual, flap a bit.

I have, however, found some very dodgy rentals indeed...
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
little tiger, Isn't being measured as a tourist only natural? 99.99% of clients will be tourists who often overinflate their abilities. I agree it's irritating, but could be worse... wink

yeah it is just good to remember that... especially if you are like me... (I tell the truth as I see it re my skiing... problem is it seems my standards are "high"... so i think I can't ski for peanuts and then get ripped to shreds by the instructors for telling fibs) I have since been given a "spiel" by some friends that worked in Europe for a bit... It consists of their interpretation of my skiing and problems ready to go for anyone who does not know me.... seems to work better for instructors but I need one for ski hire...
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
I have, however, found some very dodgy rentals indeed...

the first pair I got in Argentiere were HORRID.... I'm sure some big fat lump had hammered them over rocks or something... they had no life left at all... just dead skis... totally dead...
When i took them back they gave me some Salomons.... not so bad but not good and I think they were very badly tuned... I persisted with them a couple of days but then gave in.... the guy at Namaste says i should not ski Salomon - not my type of ski.... he gave me some really nice Dynastars...
ski holidays
Quote:

for some reason they then gave me a ski that was >15cm shorter than the shortest ski I have ever skied....

I have had a similar experience in Meribel or would of done if I'd just taken the skis offered - sometimes you have to be firm to get what you want. They also tried to give me a pair of Rossi 9Ss even though they had just had the best powder of the season!
ski holidays
eddyr, yes, I always hire good skis. It's a good idea to ask an instructor that you've skied with what type of skis would suit your ability.
snow report
I have upgraded twice,

At one shop I asked for superior skis and the guy went to the rack and pulled a set out from where he had been servicing other people, So I felt a little ripped off there as I am not a big Ski geek I don’t know a good set from a average ski by name, ( only how they feel)

And in Banff I upgraded half way through the week and wished I had stopped on the original ski's as they felt a lot better for my style(lack of).

So in my experience I would say ski on what you’re happy with, if the ski's you originally got are crud then swap them.

Another point raised by Jonny Jones, I have never paid to get hired skis edged or serviced as I feel I am paying for service which should be included in the hire fee. i.e. they are done before I get them.

Am I been naive thinking that hire skis do get serviced weekly?
snow report
Quote:

Am I been naive thinking that hire skis do get serviced weekly?

yes ! Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing
snow report
It's not weekly, but weakly.

(there's a dry ski slope I know who used to get their skis serviced annually - I know, cause I used to get called in to service them!)
ski holidays
eddyr, It depends on the shop, but if you're thinking of hiring through the Tour Operator (bad idea), then you should never take standard skis as these are likely to be the made for hire skis which are mostly cr@p. Beginners need decent skis so they can immediately get the feel of the ski working for them, even though they won't be very good at or precise in their actions. I like my adult beginners on shoulder height full carvers - I find they learn much more quickly then. Kiddy beginners on chest high.

A good hire shop will service each pair of skis every time they come back, and will also service them mid-week if required (normally for free). The point about the Tour Operators though is that they demand a huge commission/discount so the shop gets much less for each hire. Look around and find a shop with nice people and good quality equipment and then put the money in their pocket, not in the pockets of the TO!

(sorry - hobby horse again!)

rolling eyes
ski holidays
easiski, sounds like good advice. I'm all for putting the money in the end guys pocket and not some fatcat who is squeezing the little guy for every penny they can.
ski holidays
I've seen a ski hire shop in alpe d'huez try to hand out skis to a friend with big holes in the ptex
snow report
Thanks easiski - I'm going to Panorama which is an intrawest resort, looking at their site I think there's just the one hire shop (please correct me if i'm wrong!) as its a small resort. So I would have thought they'd come from there - they seem to use quality brands from the description on their website..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eddyr, In the States/Canada it may well be that there's no choice (funny in the land of opportunity), but either way, don't pay in advance. There may be others that you can't see on the internet.
snow report
eddyr, I'm sure that was only one hire place in Panorama when I was there, although there may well be others in the nearby town (can't recall the name, but I think it's something to do with the Lake District. Windemere?). The place in Panorama was fine, so far as I remember, although inclined to be busy. Although monopolies are common in N.America, they are not as abused as they would be here; imagine the price and qualtiy of the only hire shop in Meribel!
ski holidays
Well sorry to drag this thread back up again - but I have a question;

Panorama rentals fall into 2 categories, standard, and Hi Performance

Now my tour operator's bumph marks it as Standard being for beginners to lower intermediates, and the HiP stuff as higher intermediate to advanced skiiers.

In the past (namely Inghams) they on the whole have them designated as Standard, Superior, and VIP ratings. These were more rated on how new, quality, cost to purchase etc as opposed to how good you are.

So what do you think? I've only skiied for 2 weeks but was pretty good by the end of it - i'm going for 2 weeks. I've pretty much decided on going for the HiP gear as the cost increase is negligible (got 50% off) - about £23 difference for the 12 days, so I can always downgrade should they not be any better, but do you think using gear that *may* be too good/technical make my life harder as a novice?
snow conditions
eddyr, in my experience, a good ski shop will ask questions about your ability etc before they give you the skis anyway, so shouldn't give you equipment that you won't be able to cope with. Talk to the ski tech in the shop , don't overestimate your capabilities, and they will give you something suitable.
snow report
Gosh I know I'm going to get into trouble but you should find out which shop your TO recommends or speak to one of the hotel staff (not the reps!) and go directly, the amount the TO charges the guest compared to what the shop gets from the TO is unbelievable (less than half!!), if you go off your own back I know the shops here inn ADH generally give a 20% discount to those who come in indepentantly and a far better service where you can up-grade as you wish.

Changing the subject jsut a little, I remember a guy came into our shop the first season the very expensive S Pilots came out and each resort had about 3 pairs to sell as a marketing thing, this chap came in asking specifically for these (about £600 if I remember rightly), anyway he was spotted later that week in the snowplough postion on a blue run!!!!!! And the other guy who came in at the end of the week with his boots on the wrong feet exclaiming that they had been the most comfortable pair he'd ever worn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
eddyr, there may be more than one shop, but they will all be run by Intrawest,like the ones in Whistler. I normally wouldn't say to prebook, but we did get a discount on the prices available on the day in Whistler, have you checked the Panorama web prices?
ski holidays
sarah@alpedhuez, what you say may apply in parts of France, but it's not necessarily the same globally. (although your story about boots on the wrong feet are quite common!)

eddyr, here are the rental prices in Panorama. When comparing them to what a TO quotes you in GBP, don't forget that the website prices are excluding taxes. (GST is 6% and PST is 7%, afaik)
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Yes true, I can only speak from experience in France - unfortunately Confused
snow report
Thanks all - I checked the Panorama site the other day and the price I'm getting far beats that - basically the TO quoted me a 50% discount which they're now no longer offering, but as I'd already been quoted it they're honouring it for me (even though I hadn't booked it yet) so I can't see myself getting it much cheaper - £111 for HI performance gear for 12 days, skis boots and poles. Which I think is pretty damn good Smile

ANd as its Intrawest - who seem to own most of whats there, I can't see there being anywhere else there
latest report
eddyr, are you going with Ski Independence by any chance?
snow report
I rented my daughter's gear in Banff at New Year and it was all brand new, much better than she had in France in February. If that is typical for Canada you should be fine in Panorama. What's more Nielsen didn't charge anything for kids' rental gear there (even though I didn't rent any myself).
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Yes I sure am.....

Colin B, Sounds good - not got any kids right now (thankfully - for now!) so that side is covered Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy