Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots for 10y/o boy - adult female boots best option?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads. Heading off on Sunday with my 10 year old son for his first time (just the two of us). He has sized 4.5 feet and I got him to try on my wife's sized 5 bots. They seemed t fit him and the boots are decent quality. Is there a difference in kids and adult boots? How do I know if they'll be the right size? Are kids boots less bulky? Surely my wifes boots will be better that ski hire shop kit?

Any help welcome

Heading back after a 10 year hiatus so slightly unsure of things!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Women tend to have bigger calf, so the boot may be looser around the entry.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Surely my wifes boots will be better that ski hire shop kit?

Not necessarily - there's nothing basically wrong with "hire kit". It's the fit that matters, not the back story. If he's skinny, with skinny calves, they might be a bit too roomy. If he's light, they might be a bit stiff. But kids seem to make far less fuss about boot fit than adults do.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends how big he is as well, an adult boot will be designed to flex with an adult weight/sized person attached to it. If he's a lightweight he won't be able to flex it, so it won't help his skiing. Now, as @pam w says, kids don't tend to notice that, BUT it won't be helping his skiing, either long term or short term
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Peter Griffin, I wound not recommend as the cuff may be too high, they wil be heavy if older model, and they may not be sufficiently flexible. Best to rent - Head make a decent range of kids boots with flex rating of 60. My 12yo has large feet and she has struggled in past when some rental shops have provided her with smaller adult boots.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The crossover point is about 12 / 13 years. The company my clients used last week put all 12 and under in an kids boot and a ski with a kids binding. 13 and over go in an adult boot and a ski with an adult binding. If you turned up with a 10 year old with an adult boot they would refuse to fit skis to it and would insist that you rented kids boots.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the responses to this and appreciate the advice. Will stick with the hired boots.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boot shells apparantly ony last 10 years, the the plastic becomes brittle.
So you had better be quick.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy