Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do two different 130nm Ski boots feel different in a shop/on the mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I feel this is a much better way of understanding the flex of ski boots, and why the tests while uniform and accurate across all brands there are differences when we compare them. We can also have a thread that could accurately tell you the exact ski boot flex you should be using, however temperature, and speed will have such a dramatic effect on that number the boots performance would change. it's really a mute subject.

A flex rating of 100 , measured at 23°C ,assuming we're using a poly ester to get that number will stiffen by a factor of approximately x5 at minus 10° thus the real world resistance, forgetting biological variables, with have 500 flex.

PP x6-7
PU Ester x5
PU Ether x4
PA Grilamid x3
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A 100 kg person travelling at 50kms per hour, i think, help me physicists, would require 500nm of resistance not to take the boot beyond it's strength, thus snapping their achilles if caught in a white out and the slope/piste climbs suddenly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you a generative AI?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
what does that mean?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CH2O wrote:
it's really a mute subject.

If only!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowHead
red 27 wrote:
CH2O wrote:
it's really a mute subject.

If only!

Eh oh! Eh oh!

It’s mid season, and topic of the month, leave me vente!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

A 100 kg person travelling at 50kms per hour, i think, help me physicists, would require 500nm of resistance not to take the boot beyond it's strength, thus snapping their achilles if caught in a white out and the slope/piste climbs suddenly.

I suspect this is going a bit off piste. If the boot flex index is a measure of energy absorption over a range of flex then yes, increasing the load will mean it will flex more and could potentially strain the achilles if it flexes beyond the skiers range of motion. But I would think it's better to choose the flex of a boot on a skier's need to apply an appropriate force to the ski at an angle suitable for balance and performance rather than worry about it as a safety concern. I don't know how many skiers end up with even a strained achilles from skiing but I'd have thought we'd have heard about it if it was a common problem (and would probably have a different release on the rear ski bindings to protect against it).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 3-01-24 16:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you a generative AI?

or perhaps it is the years of smelling the fumes of slowly softening boot shell...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
would need a microscope to even be able to see 130nm ski boots, let alone feel them
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy