Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria resort for beginner (Saalbach, Zell am See, other?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are looking to bring our children (13 and 15) skiing for February midterm in 2025. They have no skiing experience. We will be with others who are intermediate (possibly advanced) skiiers (and one intermediate snowboarder) so we are looking for a resort to suit everyone. We would like a resort with a reasonable choice of restaurants. I like sunny slopes but would compromise on that to suit others Smile At the moment we are looking at Zell am See or Saalbach but open to other options. We are flying from Ireland with very limited (expensive) direct flights to Salzburg so will probably fly to Munich but we don't mind a 2.5 - 3hour transfer time although would be interested in suggestions of suitable resorts with shorter transfer time from Munich. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiwelt probably the best option from Munich (Soll or Ellmau but not Brixen!). Saalbach and Hinterglemm are good at half term and cope well with the crowds - Hinterglemm is cheaper than Saalbach for accomodation. Zell is not a great option for beginners as it has very limited skiing for beginners especially.
Edit: Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kemmy, I would suggest Skiwelt too from Munich but would suggest Brixen as it has easy access to the beginners area at the top of the gondola but also allows easy access to the Kitzbühel skiing for the more experienced skiers. The village is a bit quiet though which wont suit some. Kirchberg (part of the Kitzbühel area also in the Brixental) is also an option. Another relatively easy area from Munich is the Zillertal (Mayrhofen etc). If you do go to Salzburg then the Ski Amade area is ideal (its the first place I went long time ago). Saalbach Hinterglemm is doable from Munich though it wont be the cheapest transfer
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forget Zell. It will be rammed with Brits and Dutch and is pretty poor for beginners. The others mentioned are all good.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all for the kind welcome and the great replies. We’ll forget about Zell am See. I looked up some of the other places mentioned and keep coming back to Saalbach. I spoke to my friends who are travelling with us said they are happy with intermediate slopes so there is no need for anything too advanced. We’ll probably rent a car for the week which is cheaper than a transfer and gives us flexibility.

I forgot to mention that one of my daughters is coeliac so we’re looking for somewhere with a nice self catering apartment and decent grocery shops and Saalbach seems to have both. Maybe Im wrong but the other places suggested seem smaller than Saalbach?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kemmy wrote:
Thank you all for the kind welcome and the great replies. We’ll forget about Zell am See. I looked up some of the other places mentioned and keep coming back to Saalbach. I spoke to my friends who are travelling with us said they are happy with intermediate slopes so there is no need for anything too advanced. We’ll probably rent a car for the week which is cheaper than a transfer and gives us flexibility.

I forgot to mention that one of my daughters is coeliac so we’re looking for somewhere with a nice self catering apartment and decent grocery shops and Saalbach seems to have both. Maybe Im wrong but the other places suggested seem smaller than Saalbach?

Dont discount the train, quite relaxing from Munich airport and Ski- welt area is very accessible e.g. Brixen / St Johann, you or your more advanced friends can also pootle up the line to other resorts for variety e.g. Kitzbuhel. There are passes that cover multi resorts

We did that one year all the way to Zell am See (although for reasons above not great for beginners so wouldnt recommend you going there). We flew into Mun on the Friday night, got a cheap airport hotel, first train to resort, drop luggage off at hotel, change and up the mountain. with a late-ish flight back the following Saturday we had 7.5 days skiing instead of your usual 6. I preferred the Munich & train route to flying into Salzburg and transfers we did the previous year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy