Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First timer - advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, just wondering if I can get some advice here. We have 4 kids , 18, 15, 13 and 10. For years, we toyed with the idea of a skiing holiday. I always chickened out, afraid it would be too costly....I am finally determined to explore this option for 2024.

Few things
1) we have a house South of France - 1hour away from Bordeaux. I see that we are just over 4 hours from Andorra. Is Andorra a good option for total beginners?

2) I checked out a place Pas De La Casa. For 3 days lift pass, skis and boots, lessons (3hr per day) and boots late March 2024, they are quoting approx €280 per child. Question - is that all we pay for the skiing part?

3) next I have to look for accommodation - is it important to be close to the ski slope where kids will be taking lessons? If so, how close?

4) We do not have any skiing gear at all. Someone once told me LIDL stuff are OK to buy when you are starting. Is that true? Can someone give me a list of items to buy before going?

I know it's a lot of questions. My kids had been asking every year and I kept putting it off. I would really love for them to experience it this year.

Thank you all!

3)
Quote:
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1) Yes, took my 10 and 13 years old there a few years ago. They really enjoyed it.
2) Yes
3) The less walking in boots and carrying skis, the better. Anything more than 15 minutes walk is not good, especially for the younger kids. I had to carry the gears for my 10 years old.
4) Yes, Lidl stuff are decent for beginners. Decathlon stuff are good too. You could also try 2nd hand stuff on eBay, Gumtree etc as the children will grow out of them very quickly. https://skiingkids.com/family-ski-checklist-free-printable/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know about Andorra, but:

3) I guess you'll have a car. We often stay a bit further and drive to the lift in the morning. Combined with a depot for your skis and boots close to the lift that always worked well for us.
This of course assumes you can park close to the lift relatively easy.

4) +1 for second hand. Decent stuff to be had, not only for beginners. Especially kids stuff which is too small after one or two years - which is max a couple of weeks of use for most.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1) Yes Andorra/Pas is good. I'm not sure how good the snow is there end of Mar so maybe someone else can comment.
3) If first time, you definitely want to be less than 5 mins away from meeting point. If your hotel is further up the slope in Pas, you can join the slop directly from the side and the ski down to the meeting point but you might not be able to do this as total beginners. Alternative you can hire storage in some of the rental places so you don't have to carry your gear.
4) Lidl is ok but you might struggle to find enough stock for all of you and it won't have everything. Decathlon is quite nice because I think they will have everything so you can buy all in one go. Mountain Warehouse is also quite good.

At minimum you need:
Ski Jacket
Ski Pants
Base layer top or running tshirt (something technical)
Base layer bottom
Mid layer (fleece or puffer jacket)
Goggles
Helmet (you could hire but its a bit gross...)
Ski socks
Ski gloves

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 1-01-24 20:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TK Maxx & SportsDirect can be good for ski gear.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have friends who ski you might be able to borrow stuff. Do you have a home in the UK?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Queen Elsa, yes do it, the advice above is good, one thing to be aware of is that Pas is a party resort, Arinsal or Pal in Andorra are more sedate and also better suited for beginners.
If you have the time try the charity shops for used ski wear might save you some cash.
If you’re driving from the UK, why not go straight to resort, there’s two companies that do accommodation, mainly sc with lift pass included, there’s some great bargains to the less popular resorts.

I’ve done. Quick search on Sunweb for March to give you an idea

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/search?Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1993-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=1993-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B2%5D=1993-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B3%5D=1993-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B4%5D=1993-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B5%5D=1993-03-20&ParticipantsDistribution=1%7C2%7C3%7C4%7C5%7C6&DepartureDate%5B0%5D=2024-03-16&DepartureDate%5B1%5D=2024-03-16&Country%5B0%5D=13&Duration%5B0%5D=8-8&TransportType=SelfDrive&sort=Price&offset=0

https://www.snowtrex.co.uk/?code=4645&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK-BR-Text-Marke-Gro%C3%9Fbritannien&utm_content=brand&network=g&device=t&subcode=snowtrex&kwtype=p&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD9npNcxv4jbZXkdvkzO-e3Q9hdDN&gclid=CjwKCAiA4smsBhAEEiwAO6DEjcUd8-p0ciB4Hk3err5BMfZcE8MevzcxPADUuZZIpkzWBR3Hmrs6aRoCYR8QAvD_BwE
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Queen Elsa,
1) Andorra is good for beginners but snow conditions may not be so good in late March. Does it take much longer to drive to the French Alps?
2) Yes
3) Best to be 5 minutes walk max from 1st lift.
4. Lidl and Aldi have adequate kit at certain times. Decathlon and Sports Direct too. Lots of 2nd hand bargains available. I’m sure I have quite a few teenage sized unused pairs of gloves, socks and base layers. Also some decent quality used ski jackets and trousers stored away.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A perfect time for you to get into skiing! Some of us we stupid enough to get into the sport when our kids were young and therefore subjected ourselves to years of financial pain. Yours will be paying for themselves soon enough.

Just kidding of course. We have so many unforgettable memories of our family skiing in wonderful places the world over. I highly recommend you give it a go.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could weigh up the option of hiring ski clothing

There are a few places that do it, eg https://www.hirestreetuk.com/category/skiwear
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ray Zorro, the OP has a house in the south of France.

Does it seem likely they'll rent clothing?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TK Maxx & SportsDirect can be good for gear.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
@Ray Zorro, the OP has a house in the south of France.

Does it seem likely they'll rent clothing?

Who knows? Certainly not you.
The OP said she has been put off by the cost.
Kitting out 4 youngsters won't be cheap now that the Lidl and Aldi deals have passed.
I throw it out there as an option that hasn't otherwise been offered and which the OP can dismiss if she pleases but which she may not have been otherwise aware.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of ski clothing available on Ebay - lowers the cost and helps the planet via reusing!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vinted is excellent for second hand ski gear.
ski holidays
Decathlon for cheap good new ski clothing. Andorra is great, I would strongly suggest Soldeu or El Tarter for beginner ski school in English rather than Pas de La Casa.
ski holidays
Agree to check temps and snow in late March.
ski holidays
@Queen Elsa, Andorra is a perfect place to learn. Pas de la Casa is fine. It quietens down at the end of March so there isn’t as much partying. The step up from the beginner pistes to the others is quite high in Pas, however, in three days you might not need to progress onto other slopes. Soldeu or El Tarter are better options for absolute beginners who may progress onto other slopes (again in three days skiing, this might not come into play).

Snow conditions at the end of March will be fine everywhere on the Grandvalira. The nursery slopes are well looked after. Avoid Arinsal though. It’s the sunniest resort that time of year and nearly always the first place to close if it’s been warm, sunny and not snowy.

If you’re in France you could also consider looking on Wallapop to buy second hand kit.
latest report
Vinted is good for second hand gear, I recommend reading reviews of new stuff online, then looking on Vinted / eBay… lots of decent kit and often hardly used.

Seconding TKMaxx if you want new jackets but try BrandAlley too - my OH got a decent Burton jacket at a fraction of the retail price.
latest report
Dare2B always seems to be decent value on Ebay - look for their higher water proof rated garments.
ski holidays
I've used Mountain Warehouse a lot - there is normally a 20% off voucher code to be found on top of their already discounted prices. Their basic jackets and salopettes are perfectly fine and last for years.
ski holidays
Definitely check eBay/vinted/fb marketplace for second hand ski clothes - some really good deals out there. If you really want new, mountain warehouse is decent and currently has jacket and salopette sets that are pretty discounted on sale (adult and child).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy