Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

(Another) ski advice post…

Poster: A snowHead
As someone who is tech ignorant I’m seeking some advice here…

I’m 178cm, 82kg (athletic/strong, not a porker!). Ski once or twice a year and have done for a while.

Generally ski hard, long carves, tight turns, like moguls, like fast. Wanted to do more off piste so I bought Cham 87 in 179cm length around 7 years ago.

Problem is I barely catch any powder days so any benefit of all mountain is completely lost!

So I’m looking to chop them and get a piste ski. For as little as possible…. I’m not overly obsessed about the perfect pair and i don’t really have time to mess about trying different pairs in resort as I’ll have the young family in tow. So I don’t mind punting on something cheap online and see how I get on with them next trip.

Particularly interested in what length and waist you would recommend?

Many many thanks in advance!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you still want something that is a full on Piste ski....or an AM ski, that excels on Piste but makes Off Piste and heavier Piste conditions a little easier? If you ski later in the season or get a dump of snow while there, having something a little wider, that makes slushy conditions a little easier, might make sense.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OFB, probably what you say is right. Maybe I just have a poor version of an all mountain ski!

I think I should be moving away from an all mountain as I simply don’t get into it much.

Sod’s Law it’ll dump all my next week!!!

So if there is an all mountain that’s very on piste than the Cham 87, but I’ve no idea what would make it better….

I’d probably be happy to just make do with a piste ski on the odd day it snows.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Badbobby wrote:
OFB, probably what you say is right. Maybe I just have a poor version of an all mountain ski!

I think I should be moving away from an all mountain as I simply don’t get into it much.

Sod’s Law it’ll dump all my next week!!!

If you want a Piste biased AM ski, I would check out the Rossignol Experience 82Ti or Elan Wingman 82CTi....these will carve On Piste and will make life a little easier in deeper conditions.

For a Piste ski, check out Dynastar Speed 763.

As for length - probably around 180, for a reasonably aggressive, advanced skier of 82 kg.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So what would I feel vs my current Cham 87? As I say, I’m tech ignorant re skis!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Badbobby wrote:
So what would I feel vs my current Cham 87? As I say, I’m tech ignorant re skis!

Since I have not personally compared these skis, the best I can do is tell you what I would expect, given reviews that I have read/watched. The skis that I've suggested, should carve better, grip better and be more stable On Piste - but the Cham would have the edge Off Piste. Have a look at the assessments by Ski Essentials (who talk about design, construction and how they ski).

The Dynastar should prove better On Piste, but be less versatile in other conditions.

My goal is not to tell you what to buy, but give you options to check out...and preferably try out in resort, so you can get what feels right for you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Badbobby, in your shoes I would stick with the Cham 87 skis and save some money.

I used this exact ski for all of my first season in Chamonix and for firm conditions in my second season (having invested in some 105 underfoot skis for fresh snow). In effect it was my piste ski. I am a little more svelte than your good self. It is only my technique that limited what I could do on them, not the skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you both.

Hammond - yes, it hasn’t escaped me that lessons could be a better bet. If I had more time I would, but I just enjoy skiing!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve annoyingly/foolishly got two threads open.

But, would you say that I’m better off:

1) replace Cham with a better, newer version of similar width
2) reduce width (to low 80s, or much further) and getting the advantage of new tech in a modern ski
3) stick with what I’ve got (boring!!!)

On the drive back from Gatwick last night, I committed with the other half to get private lessons on the first pm next trip and maybe every one!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Badbobby, For me it is a no brainer - keep the Chams and invest in what is going to increase your skiing enjoyment - lessons.
It is always nice to have shiny new kit but it will not improve your skiing one jot (with the exception of well fitted boots) whereas improved technique results in far more smiles per mile Very Happy
If you want an affordable piste ski then there are any number of second-hand bargains to be had on this site, eBay, end of season retail etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's almost impossible to tell you what will suit you best....for that, you need to be very clear about what you want to do with the ski.

ie. If you have no intention of leaving the Piste - get a dedicated Piste Ski ie. 68 - 74 underfoot and a Turn Radius of 14 - 16m.

If you want a little versatility: 80 - 82

If you want a little more versatility: 86 - 88

My view, is that it would be a shame to completely ditch your original idea of getting something more versatile....However, getting the right ski will likely cost a lot more than your proposed budget - So if you are not prepared to up your limit (unless you strike very lucky) and preferably try before you buy, I would stick with what you have.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you both again. Useful to be able to “talk” it through.

In golf I was always able to resist the new club lure and paid for lessons. I guess ski tech improves more and I think it’s resenting “losing” the time when doing ski lessons.

I’ll give the Chams one more year and chuck the new skis budget at lessons!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There must be a zillion threads on here in which, no matter what the question, the answer is lessons and/or properly fitted boots. Quite right too! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Badbobby wrote:

In golf I was always able to resist the new club lure and paid for lessons. I guess ski tech improves more and I think it’s resenting “losing” the time when doing ski lessons.

Golf and Skiing do have a similarity in terms of equipment.

Golf Clubs have made the game so much easier over the last 40 years.....the trouble is, handicaps have not really improved over that time. Just because you can hit the ball further, doesn't mean you can reliably hit it straight or get it in the hole in the requisite number of shots. The short game takes as much skill and practice as ever it did.

Skiing is much the same. All the dramatic improvement in equipment has done, is give people a false confidence to go faster than is safe for their ability and head Off Piste before they have a respect for the mountains.

IMV. Easier to use equipment is not a substitute for putting in the hard yards.

FWIW. I think you have made a wise decision...and would also suggest, that while on holiday, if you get a chance to hire (for a day) any of the ski recommendations that you receive on here - it will give you a good idea of the direction you might go in the future.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tbh, I actually found it harder with newer clubs! Especially the drivers. I still hack around with a cobra driver from 2007.

I may well see if I can hire some kit for a day. Hopefully heading away at the end of March, resort tbc depending on weather.
ski holidays
Badbobby wrote:
Tbh, I actually found it harder with newer clubs! Especially the drivers. I still hack around with a cobra driver from 2007.

If you have a driver with a head as big as a policeman's helmet - you can now hit it even further off course or out of bounds than you did before! Skullie
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
There must be a zillion threads on here in which, no matter what the question, the answer is lessons and/or properly fitted boots. Quite right too! Laughing

True. People need to go on their own personal journey sometimes!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy