Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiworld deals or are they?

Poster: A snowHead
Ski world have passes included and £250 pp off the list price. I was just quoted £1600 all in to st Anton for a week on 3rd February. Doesn't seem that great of a deal. We went with them a few years back but can't find the booking to compare. Thoughts?

By all in I mean everything and meals in a chalet. Snowboard carriage no lessons.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that each, for two people?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gainz wrote:
Ski world have passes included and £250 pp off the list price. I was just quoted £1600 all in to st Anton for a week on 3rd February. Doesn't seem that great of a deal. We went with them a few years back but can't find the booking to compare. Thoughts?

By all in I mean everything and meals in a chalet. Snowboard carriage no lessons.

As pam w says it depends if that's for two people or per person. For two it sounds a good deal. If it's per person, it sounds pricey.

So break it down...

The 6-day HS adult Arlberg pass is €401 (around £350), so if it includes 2 of those, plus snowboard carriage for two which is usually about £50 a pop (more on budget carriers), the holiday is down to £400pp for your flight, transfers, room and meals with wine. That's pretty good value for what is an expensive resort in February high season. It's not like it's a really late deal, as you have a month to prepare for it.

You will be paying more than a few years back as the pound is weaker and energy & food costs have inflated. I doubt you could do something comparable cheaper using the DIY route.

If it's for two sharing in a decent, well-located chalet and fits your dates, I'd jump on it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:

Current Skiworld "Last Minute Deals" showing £1439 pp to Chalet Kapall on 03/02/2024. Saving £350 pp.

Positively untempting at that price. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you pick an expensive package and then add a known fixed discount, you can't be surprised at the final quote?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’d be very surprised if it’s £1600 for two. From what I’ve seen, £1600pp all in is not a bad deal for a week in St Anton.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimastaaah wrote:
pam w wrote:

Current Skiworld "Last Minute Deals" showing £1439 pp to Chalet Kapall on 03/02/2024. Saving £350 pp.

Positively untempting at that price. Toofy Grin

Thanks, I should have looked it up before commenting. It's certainly no bargain, but St Anton in high season is a pricey place to be!

I'm just glad I did my visits to the Arlberg in cheaper times. I got a very late Ski Total chalet deal in Lech for £299 and another time I shared an apartment with 2 mates in Dalaas and we commuted up to Stuben, it was €75 per night, so my share worked out less than £20 a night. The flights with Ryanair to Friedrichshafen were 'free', they don't do that anymore! This is going back 10-15 yrs though when costs were lower and sterling was stronger.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have been with Skiworld 18 times. We have never had a single issue. They do have some quite expensive chalets in their itinerary as well as some more budget stuff. More info is needed here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have been with Skiworld 18 times. We have never had a single issue. They do have some quite expensive chalets in their itinerary as well as some more budget stuff. More info is needed here.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@luigi, I'm out in the Arlberg the week before the OP. Paid £409 for BA flights to Innsbruck 2 passengers AND Car Hire for a week in the BA Sale earlier this year. And just short of £1K for 4* accommodation in Stuben. That's less than £700 per person for a bespoke Arlberg ski trip.
I've had brilliant last minute deals over the years but they seem non-existant now.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 31-12-23 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@luigi, That ski total deal must have been a real bargain. What year was it. Sonneck or Alexandria?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry guys I thought I added the pp bit!

So it's per person, and the breakdown went like this;

Flights £320
Carriage £58
Transfers £200
Pass £350
Chalet makes up the rest.

Prices are approx but fairly accurate. If it was for 2 I don't think we'll be having this conversation Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gainz, So that equates to £672 per person Accommodation, and Dinner, & B&B. Yikes, that's not such a bargain after all.

Have you compared with DIY options and building your own independent holiday equivalent?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gainz, The chalets they have in St Anton do look quite slick. Skiworld are maybe moving a bit more upmarket these days, we haven't used them since the start of Covid ( not for any reason, the cookie just hasn't crumbled that way)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah so the pass in effect is supposed to be free but I think they're bumping up the price of the chalet to cover the costs. I think we'll keep looking maybe hold out for a couple more weeks cheers
ski holidays
Is £672 per person Accommodation, and Dinner, & B&B at a mid-market chalet at St Anton expensive these days? Back in another century, when Austria was very much cash oriented, my regular skiing buddy and I worked on the principle that we needed to take a suitcase of notes to go there - and if we couldn't afford to do that, we wouldn't go. Fortunately, then, we mostly could afford it, sort of, and we always had a great time. But skiing at St Anton has never been cheap. All the more so since the old railway station's restaurant, with food at normal railway station prices, has gone.
ski holidays
@achilles, I've stayed in St Anton many times with Skiworld, and at the Chalet Kapall (which is on "offer") and mainly pretty good holidays with them.

Now that Austria has upped the prices somewhat I now think twice about skiing there. Much better value and some great places/skiing can be found elsewhere. I'm even getting tempted to go ski in France again. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

So it's per person, and the breakdown went like this;

Flights £320
Carriage £58
Transfers £200
Pass £350
Chalet makes up the rest.

Ski carriage seems pretty low, are you sure that's not each way?

Also, you have to add in ski world's comission. In the package tour business anything under 10% would be very generous so let's say £160.

So around £500 for chalet and food. With increasing energy and food costs it doesn't seem crazy for a nice chalet in a good location (I have no idea if that is the case here). I do agree though that the "free" lift pass is achieved by just moving the cost elsewhere rather than an actual free lift pass.

That's not to say there are not cheaper ways to do things. But comparing DIY to package tour is not really apples to apples. Part of the extra cost is for convenience.

Unfortunately with crazy lift pass prices the days of sub £1k package tours to the big resorts are long gone.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
crazy lift pass prices the days of sub £1k package tours to the big resorts are long gone.

Really? Laughing
latest report
With the pass free that leaves £320 flights, £200 transfers and yes the carriage is £120 rtn.

So the chalet is in effect £1000 pp in a triple room!!

That is expensive IMV.
latest report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
@luigi, That ski total deal must have been a real bargain. What year was it. Sonneck or Alexandria?

Neither! Laughing

It was the Chalet Hotel Montfort, around 2012/13, booked very last minute on the Tuesday for the following Sunday. We got the last room in the place.

It was their first week of the season, 2nd week of December, so very early season, but it snowed so much overnight that the pistebasher preparing the nursery slope opposite the hotel was up to the height of its tracks in snow and it was brimming over the top as it tried to plough it! snowHead

Those were the good old days, had some great late Ski Total chalet deals around that time for £200-300pp.

The Montfort is now operated privately and they want £300 per night for a room in Winter now! Shocked

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 31-12-23 17:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
@achilles, I've stayed in St Anton many times with Skiworld, and at the Chalet Kapall (which is on "offer") and mainly pretty good holidays with them.

Now that Austria has upped the prices somewhat I now think twice about skiing there. Much better value and some great places/skiing can be found elsewhere. I'm even getting tempted to go ski in France again. Toofy Grin

Or Italy??

My 5nt trip for two in late Jan is as follows:

Ryanair STN to Venice £180 with seats and 2 cabin bags each.

Car hire: VW Golf 6days £75

B&B 5nts: £267

Total £522 or £261 pp

Obviously liftpasses, ski hire, insurance, airport parking, fuel & tolls and food on top of that...but can still be done fairly economically DIY.
snow report
Gainz wrote:

So the chalet is in effect £1000 pp in a triple room!!.

Plenty of deals for 2 Grand a week on Booking.com for those dates. You would possibly find half decent flights/prices with BA who are currently running a "Sale", or one of their Fly/Drive deals.
ski holidays
Quote:

Total £522 or £261 pp

Obviously liftpasses, ski hire, insurance, airport parking, fuel & tolls and food on top of that...but can still be done fairly economically DIY.

So less nights than the skiworld trip and doesn't include plenty of stuff. Lift passes alone at the big resorts are now £300+. Ski hire £100+. It quickly adds up. Of course there are cheaper options going to smaller resorts, but for comparisons sake it should resemble the ski world trip.
latest report
@luigi, you've not accounted for food snd wine in the evening. Fuel/tolls/parking for the car, ski carriage.
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
@luigi, you've not accounted for food snd wine in the evening. Fuel/tolls/parking for the car, ski carriage.

I know, I already mentioned that...

luigi wrote:

boarder2020 wrote:

So less nights than the skiworld trip and doesn't include plenty of stuff. Lift passes alone at the big resorts are now £300+. Ski hire £100+. It quickly adds up. Of course there are cheaper options going to smaller resorts, but for comparisons sake it should resemble the ski world trip.

Not a direct comparison as such, and yes, I just calculated the upfront costs already incurred, but maybe shows how costs can be contained by doing it DIY and thinking laterally.

Of course if it must be St Anton, you pays your money and takes your choice! snowHead

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 1-01-24 11:17; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
@luigi, you've not accounted for food snd wine in the evening.

If self catering you’d be eating if you were at home too! And the wine is cheaper abroad so really you’re saving money.
ski holidays
What breaks me DIY is the crazy transfer prices and crappy flight times.

I just costed a trip to tignes,

£800 pp b&b at hotel arilon with flights and carriage
Pass £343
Transfer £1200 private no shared available at right times
Flights silly o'clock both ways

Hmm that deal to st Anton isn't looking so bad now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Silly o'clock flights are definitely a turn-off. It's like missing two nights sleep. But you'd be daft to pay £1200 for transfers, @Gainz. Renting a car would be less than half that.

Self-catering can also save a lot of lunch money if the accommodation is well placed. You can eat well - with great cheese and charcuterie, fresh bread and salad, and French supermarkets always have a good choice of ready made soups. And that definitely beats the awful scrums and lunchtime queues in French places in school holidays. Leisurely lunches on the slopes are a real treat at quiet times, but not in the school hols.
latest report
Try Heidi.com who have a clever algorithm that matches accommodation, flights, and transfers.

Excluding lift passes you can go to Tignes next week with them for £500 pp, £600 if flying civilised hours.
ski holidays
Alternative transfer to Tignes ( assuming Geneva arrival): train to Bourg St Maurice, thence Altibus to Tignes?
snow conditions
@Gainz, I didn't think it was too bad given how nice the chalets are. It may not be the bargain of the century, but it wasn't a terrible deal either. As far as I can tell, the only way to get a really really good deal these days (ie, post covid, had way more impact than brexit), is to plan well ahead, book it all yourself and be prepared to think out of the box and compromise (or go on a bash). £1500 ish to a smart catered chalet in early feb ( don't forget, since covid, half term boundaries have become blurred ) to St Anton including lift pass sounds pretty competitive to be fair.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy