Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski recomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, my partner and I are looking to buy a pair of skis, both 50 and skiing 5 years with about 9 weeks of ski school

I'm 158cm and about 58kg, ski red\blue and quite a cautious skier, I only ski on piste, I'm looking at Head Real Joy but is there anything else worth looking at? I've hired the Atomic Cloud 8 in a 143cm length at the moment, it's hard to tell if I like it because here in Arinsal it's very icy at the moment. I'm not sure if they are too short too?

My partner is 178cm, 100kg, quite a controlled skier (doesn't bomb down the piste!) also skis on piste only but not as cautious as me and started to ski the odd black now too. He's hired the
Salomon S/Max 4 at the moment and says they're ok.

we've always hired skis but we're in a position that we can drive over to France and ski more often and for longer periods so want to buy our own now.

Any help very much appreciated! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the absence of other advice, mine would be:

- I think the choice of Head Real Joy for yourself is suitable and should work out well. As for length, your skis are maybe a little short. I suspect 147 - 150 might be better. I think the next size up of the Cloud 8s is 150, so if you get a chance and are still out there, try the 150s and see what you think. Re the Real Joy - maybe 148.

- As for your partner:

Head - E V5 or possibly the e Magnums

Dynastar Speed 363 or Speed 563

At 100kg, he is likely to be looking at the longest length in whatever ski he chooses.

As you intend to ski more - a ski with decent headroom is probably wise.

Ideally, you need to try some different skis at different lengths before committing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks so much, i’ve also seen the Absolute Joy for me, is there a big difference between that and the Real Joy do you know? (we know very little about skis and just ski with what were given usually)

We’ll try the ones you’ve mentioned if we can, we’re here for another 8 days of skiing and will definitely try longer ones too (my partner has only tried 167 as that’s what he’s been given this year and we didn’t take any notice the other years so who knows what they were)

Appreciate the reply Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jallena wrote:
Thanks so much, i’ve also seen the Absolute Joy for me, is there a big difference between that and the Real Joy do you know? (we know very little about skis and just ski with what were given usually)

We’ll try the ones you’ve mentioned if we can, we’re here for another 8 days of skiing and will definitely try longer ones too (my partner has only tried 167 as that’s what he’s been given this year and we didn’t take any notice the other years so who knows what they were)

I can't comment on the differences from direct experience....All I can do is compare the specs from the Head website and tell you what I would expect.

The 2 Models are the same price, appear to have the same construction and aimed at the same level of skier - but the Absolute Joy is a bit heavier and wider, especially at the waist, so would be a bit more versatile in different conditions. It also has a wider turn radius at a given length (makes it a little less reactive and a touch less quick from edge to edge - but also less twitchy)...and has a longer, longest length available, for more AM float. Both skis in a 148 have a tight turn radius, so I don't think it would have a big impact.

R/Joy (148): 121 75 107 r=10,4
A/Joy (148): 122 80 108 r=11,7

Also, get your partner to try something longer as well...at least 177 - 180.

Let us know how it goes....as the main thing is you feel comfortable and enjoy your skiing.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 29-12-23 21:58; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jallena wrote:

I was in Viladomat in La Massana earlier. They stock a wide range of the Head Joy series and Atomic Cloud series (my OH currently skis on Cloud 9s but is looking at some new skis). Maybe go in there and ask advice. There’s usually someone in there who speaks good English.

Btw… they don’t often discount, but if you go in there, buy one set of skis and ask to join their loyalty scheme, they’ll give you points. You can then use the points on your next set of skis. You usually get around 10% back in points on a purchase. If you do buy, don’t use your new skis whilst you’re here. I skied over to Arinsal today and there were lots of stones.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:
jallena wrote:

I can't comment on the differences from direct experience....All I can do is compare the specs from the Head website and tell you what I would expect.

The 2 Models are the same price, appear to have the same construction and aimed at the same level of skier - but the Absolute Joy is a bit heavier and wider, especially at the waist, so would be a bit more versatile in different conditions. It also has a wider turn radius at a given length (makes it a little less reactive and a touch less quick from edge to edge - but also less twitchy)...and has a longer, longest length available, for more AM float. Both skis in a 148 have a tight turn radius, so I don't think it would have a big impact.

R/Joy (148): 121 75 107 r=10,4
A/Joy (148): 122 80 108 r=11,7

Also, get your partner to try something longer as well...at least 177 - 180.

Let us know how it goes....as the main thing is you feel comfortable and enjoy your skiing.

Hi

I’ve just got back from skiing now (shame as it snowed just as I was leaving!) Thanks for the reply, I wasn’t able to try the Real Joy but I tried the Absolute Joy and like you mentioned it wasn’t as reactive and definitely not as reactive as what I’ve been used to (I’m having a couple of issues with finding a pressure point in my boost so they're not as snug as they should be so this probably didn’t help) so I struggled with this ski and switched to try another one

I then tried a longer ski like you recommended and found the most perfect ski for me. Maybe it was just psychological but in the 3 days I used them my skiing seemed to fall into place and become much easier. It was an Atomic Redster CS at 149cm, with dimensions of radius 11.5m and waist of 69.5mm, it didn’t have any other dimensions marked and I’ve not been able to find it online either to see anything about the construction type etc

Unfortunately no one seems to sell it and the ski rental shop seemed to be telling me it’s a commercial ski and is the equivalent of the Atomic Redster Q Series but not quite the same construction. I’ve looked online but I can’t see any of the Q series that match the dimensions on the one I hired which was 149cm, radius 11.5m and waist of 69.5mm. The Q series seems to have a wider waist and not be a 149cm length either, so I’m gutted that I found the perfect ski for me but it seems to be the one ski I can’t buy?! I’ve checked the other series too with Atomic and it doesn’t seem to match any of those either.

I took photos of the skis and they also had some new ones in the shop that they’d just bought to rent out and the price on them was 449,99 Euros, I did ask if I could buy them but they weren’t for sale. This was the shop that @Hammerite recommended on a different thread I started a couple of weeks ago, it was Tecnic Sports in Encamp

Does anyone know where I can buy this or which ski might be similar for me to try when I go again in a few weeks?

Thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hammerite wrote:

I was in Viladomat in La Massana earlier. They stock a wide range of the Head Joy series and Atomic Cloud series (my OH currently skis on Cloud 9s but is looking at some new skis). Maybe go in there and ask advice. There’s usually someone in there who speaks good English.

Btw… they don’t often discount, but if you go in there, buy one set of skis and ask to join their loyalty scheme, they’ll give you points. You can then use the points on your next set of skis. You usually get around 10% back in points on a purchase. If you do buy, don’t use your new skis whilst you’re here. I skied over to Arinsal today and there were lots of stones.

Thanks, I didn't get to Viladomat as I found some lovely skis in Technic Sports that you'd recommended previously to me and was enjoying those too much, I didn't buy any (couldn't find the ones I hired for sale) so I'll go in and ask them when I go back in a few weeks time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jallena, I like Tecnic and not just because it’s my closest sport shop. I hope they can sort you out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy