Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas or New Year 2024/2025 for 11 people in France?

Poster: A snowHead
Would love to hear your suggestions!

We are an extended family of 11 (ages 16 - 80). Range of abilities but all the skiers have skied before. 3 people would not ski at all.

Open to options on travel but would likely be a mixture of some driving, some flying.

We definitely want to be in France.

Are open to either Christmas week or new year week next year.

Looking to all stay in the same residence but that doesn’t mean the same actual accommodation. We are open to chalets, hotels or apartments. Could be to fit 11 or 3 smaller places for the 3 individual families (in fact this might work better so we have a bit of our own space). Happy to be catered or self catered.

Would love to know what/where you all think might work for us. We usually book everything ourselves but would we be better using a travel agent with this number of people?

Not really relevant to this question but my favourite area is Courchevel.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My immediate reaction is that’s relatively early in the season and doesn’t always have good snow. For good snow you should go high, but high isn’t pretty for the non-skiers.
I only know Morzine is a nice town for non-skiers and SuperMorzine can get you up to Avoriaz if you need snow at higher levels.
Others know better than me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good thing about Courchevel and Meribel is how easy it is for the non-skiers to get around the mountains with a pedestrian pass, so could easily meet up for lunch on yhe mountain.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tignes le lac, residence le taos apartments sounds possible. non skiers have usually little to do in ski resorts but Tignes has a leisure centre with swimming pool and gyms, area around lake is good for walks. Its high enough to be pretty good early season, which is why snowheads go there in early december; a good range of pistes to play on for all standards
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@breeze11, our apartment in Le Monetier-les-Bains, Serre Chevalier is in a residence with lots of individual apartments, many managed by one person, so easy to sort out for a mixed party. 200m to skiing, 300m to thermal baths, walks from the door, traditional French village, good rail and flight connections, and driving is an option. Easy access from each village along the valley to mountain restaurants for non-skiers, and a walled mediaeval town (Briancon) at the other end linked by ski bus . Residence has pool, sauna and steam room. PM me if you want more info and an email for the agent.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Courchevel 1850 would be ideal if you can afford it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:

This.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@breeze11, Budget?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As @Hells Bells, days Serre Che is a great option for all your requirements.

Just look at the Serre Che thread in weather reports to see some of those options .

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166467
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve stayed in chamoissiere development twice with eureka ski (not Helen’s apartment) and they are very nice. Lovely pool. Short walk to the lifts. I would certainly go back again.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27 wrote:
@breeze11, Budget?

That’s a tricky one to answer. When we go as a family of 4, we drive & stay in a basic Airbnb. Some of them have been tiny! Usually the cheapest ski in ski out we can find. My brother and his family book 5* hotels and cruises. But have not been on an actual ski holiday. So, somewhere in between! Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
@breeze11, our apartment in Le Monetier-les-Bains, Serre Chevalier is in a residence with lots of individual apartments, many managed by one person, so easy to sort out for a mixed party. 200m to skiing, 300m to thermal baths, walks from the door, traditional French village, good rail and flight connections, and driving is an option. Easy access from each village along the valley to mountain restaurants for non-skiers, and a walled mediaeval town (Briancon) at the other end linked by ski bus . Residence has pool, sauna and steam room. PM me if you want more info and an email for the agent.

Thank you for this info. It sounds lovely. I will look up the area. Where do you fly into?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les 2 Alpes? Cheap, relatively easy to get to. High. Plenty of intermediate slopes up top. Glacier skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@breeze11, you can fly into Turin or Grenoble. Sleeper train from Paris Austerlitz to Briancon.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Given the age range I'd second @Orange200's Morzine suggestion.

Just back from Christmas week there and while no snow in the village/the beginner areas on the Morzine-Les Gets side not great snow conditions higher up on the Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Crosets areas were great - and that's where your skiers would be. As for the non skiers, OK it's not like New York but there's a hell of a lot more going on than most resorts, especially the purpose built, mountain top ones.

Plenty of chalets the right size for your group too, along with bars and restaurants that can seat you (pre booked).

Finally 3 key ways up the mountain, Super-Morzine gondola from town, bus + Adrent gondola, bus + Prodains gondola - all of which you can get pedestrian tickets for and have walkable restaurants off their tops so even the non skiers can join you for lunch some days.
snow conditions
I’d second @snowornever, view on tignes le lac. There is lots for the non skier there: the swimming pool, the indoor climbing wall, snowmobiles, ice climbing and, of course, scuba diving under the ice on the lake. We stayed in a large apartment with a big group at chalet planton. It may be a good idea to contact an immobilière or two and discuss your requirements with them nearer the date. The availability of most places will not be known yet.
snow report
pam w wrote:

Courchevel 1550 would be cheaper, has seen a lot of redevelopment and links straight into 1850. IIRC even in the evening.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy