Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains - UK to Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - we’re driving from the UK to Morzine soon and just realised that I should probably invest in some snow chains! Are they compulsory when driving to the mountains? Anyone know if I’m likely to need/use them in current conditions?
We drove a hire car to Morzine from the airport last year but it was so mild (the no snow week in early Jan) we didn’t even think about using them.

Any other advice for a first time winter driver, welcome!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winter equipment is mandatory in the French Alps…so your car either needs winter tyres or suitable all season tyres or you need to carry snow chains or snow socks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes obligatory in the mountain departments I'm afraid - Had them for years and never needed on dry approaches but work practicing once on your drive too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eek - any advice on where to get them at short notice?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never drove to Morzine but drove to Andorra and every petrol station en route nearby would sell them.
Snowmageddon aside, I thought Morzine had a more main road as approach, so likely to be clear? Getting up to Avoriaz more difficult. Maybe I’m wrong.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Beckiboo, snow chains.co.uk
Snowchains.com

Halfords
Amazon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, Morzine has a pretty good access route into it from memory. I’m sure I won’t need them, just don’t want to get into trouble for not having them!

Right. Off to measure my tyres snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Once you get your chains @Beckiboo, go somewhere safe and practice putting them on!!
First time usually difficult/frustrating, second time heaps better. Third time " what's all the fuss about".......
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look on Google maps for a Norauto or Feu Vert etc en route.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Beckiboo, I got a range of Michelin SOS Grip Snow Socks in "Buy, Sell, Exchange". wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Beckiboo, given current late spring conditions you should pray to the snow gods that you'll not be allowed to drive up to Morzine without chains.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As you get close to the mountains most hypermarkets stock chains
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also some AutoSock snow socks, and various chains in Buy, Sell, Exchange!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Beckiboo, assuming you’re driving the Fallinges/Mieussy route from the autoroute then there’s a Super U in Taninges (before you start climbing up to Les Gets) that’ll sell them - or a biggish Intermarche in St Jeoire a few km further back - however if you don’t have winter tyres you’ll need chains in the boot before you get to the area where carrying them is compulsory (roughly after Bourg en Bresse if you’re driving that way).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Buy in Socks Halfords in UK, keep receipt, if you don't use them, take them back for a refund. (Don't damage the packaging)
snow conditions
Before buying chains, first check that your particular spec’ of wheels+tyres can take them. Look at the tyre size (xxx/yy - zz) on the sidewall. Then look at your Owners Manual and check what is says about the wheel/tyre combinations that you car can take. If you’re lucky, then the wheels you’ve got are OK to take chains, but if not, then you may find that you can’t put chains on your car without the risk of damaging the suspension, brake pipes and if FWD steering.

Bear in mind that just because a snow chainset size fits a particular tyre size it doesnt mean it’s OK to put those chains on. Some retailers will simply find the chains size for a tyre size and sell/rent you that. You need to be sure there’s enough room behind the tyre for the chains to safely rotate. And the only place you’ll find that info is in the Owners Manual of from asking your garage service dept.

Basically, there’s no point in buying chains if your car can’t take them. And you’re only going to be asked to fit them by the authorities if the conditions mean you need them. And if you need chains but they don’t fit then they’re no use to you - you’re in the same position as if you didn’t have any.
snow report
If you have winter tyres then it is unlikely you will need chains to get to morzine, however not impossible ( a few days each season) If driving to ardent/ prodain during your stay or you dont have winter rated tyres than more likely! Why take that risk? Buy in UK from snowchains.com -ring them first to discuss based on car /tyre size/ handbook recommendations. Have chance to practice at home and avoid the worry of being unprepared!
ski holidays
retsil wrote:
If you have winter tyres then it is unlikely you will need chains to get to morzine, however not impossible ( a few days each season) If driving to ardent/ prodain during your stay or you dont have winter rated tyres than more likely! Why take that risk? Buy in UK from snowchains.com -ring them first to discuss based on car /tyre size/ handbook recommendations. Have chance to practice at home and avoid the worry of being unprepared!

Just buy socks on the way at an hypermarché. By far the simplest solution
snow conditions
Thanks all for your advice! Due to the lack of time, I managed to get some Goodyear snow socks delivered yesterday from Amazon. Hopefully they will do should I need them - although it sounds like the weather is not snowy enough up to Morzine to require them (we arrive on the 30th).
snow report
No, sadly not.
snow conditions
Beckiboo wrote:
Yes, Morzine has a pretty good access route into it from memory. I’m sure I won’t need them, just don’t want to get into trouble for not having them!

Right. Off to measure my tyres snowHead

Right, you are sure of the winter conditions and that you won’t need suitable equipment in a mountainous area. Stupid locals know nothing then.
snow conditions
@mooney058, eh? Uncalled for rudeness. The OP has bought snow socks.
snow report
@Beckiboo, Well done. The "Snow Socks" are a useful support item for driving on snow and can match chains in some conditions, however, they are not "Snow Chains". There's plenty of Youtube videos comparing the range, possibly best chain alternative is the Michelin Easy Grip
http://youtube.com/v/1mgUSQI3td0
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@mooney058, eh? Uncalled for rudeness. The OP has bought snow socks.

Hmm, the OP is certain of no need of proper equipment and was considering it for compliance reasons. Stupid attitude, possibly due to the lack of experience.
ski holidays
@mooney058, Have you looked at the Morzine town webcam recently?
snow conditions
@mooney058. He sought advice and took it. If I were driving to Morzine on Saturday I'd be pretty confident of not needing chains too. And why sneer at people complying with legal requirements?
ski holidays
@pam w, @rjs, granted this is still some days in the future but the theoretical return day forecast shows this:

It could still rain or snow and anyone who is certain to be OK on summer tyres in mountains in winter is just wrong. How can anyone, especially those visiting occasionally, be certain that they won’t need proper equipment?

Been stuck behind those type of certain drivers too many types.

Good advice was sought and taken. I am challenging the certainty the OP has of not needing chains/winter tyres. The way it was presented is just a wrong attitude
snow report
@mooney058

What an unnecessarily aggressive response rolling eyes

I don’t have time to argue on the internet with strangers so, have a good day! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Beckiboo, glad you got sorted. Please share how it went.
When I am certain of some other life practicalities I do not ask strangers’ views on the Internet Laughing
latest report
@mooney058, the OP asked for advice on everything, as a first time winter driver. Including the likelihood of needing chains, and the legal requirements. What more should he have done? He is very new to Snow Heads and you are being curmudgeonly.
snow conditions
@pam w, not a first time driver as I understood it. This is the quote:

“ I’m sure I won’t need them, just don’t want to get into trouble for not having them!”

If this attitude is propagated then I afford myself the right to react to it
latest report
You are being absurdly literal. He is also no doubt "sure" that they'll have a great holiday, whatever the weather. Which is just as well.......
latest report
@Beckiboo, check what chains your car can take. Many modern cars have clearance issues around the tyres or shock absorbers. You should find the answer on: roofbox.co.uk

For example, your car may be OK with 9mm chains, which you can buy for as little as £24. Or you may need 'ladder track' chains which can be over £350.
ski holidays
He's bought snow socks. I bought snow socks for a new car last season after many years with chains. I found them a real pain to fit - having become very good at chains over the years.
snow conditions
I only practiced. Didn't use them in anger but really needs two people Or you're jumping in and out of the car.
ski holidays
The trouble with snow chains is that you never know when you might need them. We were in Morzine the year of snowmageddon - not enough snow to ski on, but the morning we left we wouldn't have got anywhere without the chains - we had them on for the 4 hours it took us to get to Cluses. I suspect snow socks would have been chewed to pieces before we were out of Les Gets.
It's an unfortunate necessity that you will probably never need to use.
ski holidays
I had to use chains at least once every winter I spent in the Alps - often more than once. Despite good winter tyres. I wouldn't have dreamt of being without them when snow was possible. In a masochistic sort of way I always enjoyed having to put chains on. Meant SNOW. I several times helped hapless French drivers with chains. When you see them with the instructions spread out on the ground........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy