Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kazakhstan - cat skiing Altai - any recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone had any experience of the cat ski operations running in Altai Mountains in East Kazakhstan?

During my last visit in to Astana for work some business associates recommended skiing in the Altai when I am out next (early Feb). A bit of googling throws up a few Cat operators but although the snow quality looks good the terrain seems a bit tame. Don't really want to take all my touring kit on a work trip so would prefer to try to stick to 2 or 3 days on the Cat.

Anyone got any tips?

thanks - Doz
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look for martinchester_outdoors on Insta. He's just back from Altai Mtns/Ridder. And has posted about it there. MC is a usually v helpful chap - so you cd DM him if no luck here. He's IFMGA so knows his stuff.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @wiigman I will look him up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never been to Altai, but done a few days around Almaty/shimbulak and spent a fair bit of time next door in kyrgyzstan.

First thought is that Altai is not particularly close to Astana. You are talking around 1000km, so most likely want an internal flight. If you are flying anyway you don't really need to limit yourself to Kazakhstan. You could also look at kyrgyzstan, or probably more conveniently turkey or Georgia.

From what I've seen and heard most of the cat ops in kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan do service pretty tame terrain. Other issue is groups, I've seen plenty of cat ski clientele who had zero avalanche knowledge and were doing stupid things and others that were terrible skiers struggling to just follow the cat track back to the pick up point without falling multiple times.

Quote:

Don't really want to take all my touring kit on a work trip so would prefer to try to stick to 2 or 3 days on the Cat.

You mean you want to rent skis? Definitely possible, but don't expect much choice. Best to bring your own gear.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dozofoz, if Turkey is a possible, shout. Currently exploring there season by season - Kackars esp. exciting and proper big mtns! Cappa-d/Erciyes also excellent. Check the Mike Pow reports of our trips on here, inc. Ovit mtn.
Hoping to explore more this season via: https://turkeysnowcats.com
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I probably should have given a bit more info. As its primarily a work trip travelling with a board bag isn't ideal, I can chuck boots clothes, avi gear in my suitcase. I can probably source a board in Astana through my work contacts.
The reason for sticking to Kazakhstan is a little two-fold, my business associates are patriotic Kazakhs and would be disappointed to hear if I flew out to a neighbouring country for a few days skiing in between our meetings. Also it is kind of a reccy mission. In 2024/25 some Aussie mates are coming over, one has been to Georgia, one has been to Turkey (pretty sure it wasn't Kackers though!) so they were keen to try one of the 'Stans. To be honest turkeysnowcats as recommended by @wiigman, seems to be more our thing than what I have seen online about the Altai outfits but I thought I would try and sniff out a few days before crossing it off as an option.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dozofoz, please keep us posted re what you find. I like the idea of crazy K'stan cat skiing! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
20 years ago westerners in Almaty went to Shymbulak. It’s probably evolved since then Smile but I’m aware that ex Soviet safety standards aren’t as high as European!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take the whirlybird.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy