Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Innsbruck Airport from Garmisch.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone driven the roads between Garmisch and Innsbruck? Anyone with any experience of doing this journey?
I've got to take a friend to Innsbruck airport from Garmisch around Dec 28 and am wondering what the roads are like.
Hoping they're fairly flat and won't involve difficult steep mountain roads etc. I'm assuming they probably won't, but am double checking by asking around to see if anyones driven this route before. I have all season tyres fitted on a large motorhome and I'm told all season tyres are just as good as winter tyres.

Thanks for any observations by any drivers with experience of doing this.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Nick M, Firstly you need to have winter tyres, some all season tyres comply eg Michelin Cross Climate, others do not. I cant remember the exact technical detail but I believe the tyre will need to be marked with 3PMSF & a little mountain symbol, if not you wont be legally driving in either Germany or Austria (no, snow chains dont count). The road between Garmisch and Innsbruck is pretty straight forward no big mountain pass, though like all roads through the mountains snow is always possible, generally the roads are kept clear though heavy blizzards do cause disruption. In other circumstances I would have suggested the train as it is a pretty short journey (and an interesting one on the side of the Inn valley) but the trains in the Garmisch & Mittenwald area still seem to be suffering disruption from the storms a few weeks back so it might not be so easy but would be worth checking. If you do drive then you will need a Vignette for the section of Autobahn near the airport (though it can be avoided), one day ones are only available on line https://shop.asfinag.at/en/ (only use this site not the various reseller ones!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Nick M, only potentially tricky bit is at Zirl, which is a long dowhill @17% into the Inn valley. Definite winter tyre requirement. Other than that, nothing special.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As above, Zirlerberg is STEEP but it’s also low down/just outside Innsbruck so hopefully won’t be too snowy.

But also as above, if conditions are wintery (which can just mean cold, doesn’t have to mean snowing) winter tyres are a legal requirement and genuinely a must-have. Going down the Zirlerberg in a heavy motorhome in even a little slush without them would be suuuuper sketchy.

Your mate should be able to get the FlixBus though, which would save you a drive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not a terrible drive. But yes, depends on the conditions. The road is in decent nick and I think they've bypassed Scharnitz now as well.

If it's bad then there's the Flix Bus as mentioned above, but the train as well goes Innsbruck-Seefeld-Mittenwald-Garmisch.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plans were changed in the end and this journey wasn't made, but thanks everybody for your input... Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy