Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel Latest

Poster: A snowHead
Just seen that all Eurotunnel services currently suspended due to industrial action in France rolling eyes

Anyone know anymore, anyone else travelling tomorrow
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately, Eurostar has had to cancel all trains to and from London until 3.30pm.

Customers affected will receive direct communication about their journey and recommend that travellers postpone their travel today if possible.

Cancellations will take place until this afternoon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just booked a ferry for morning as Plan B
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/unexpected-eurotunnel-strike-disrupts-train-traffic-under-channel-eurostar-2023-12-21/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is Eurotunnel as well, nothing running from Folkestone
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris wrote:
Just booked a ferry for morning as Plan B
wise move Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Boris,

good plan, am assuming you can cancel the ferry without costs if tunnel is working again?

hopefully it is over sharpish and everyone travelling away for the holidays, for whatever reason, gets away smoothy without delays.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@terrygasson, nope, one way it’s £83 I’ll accept the loss
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Boris, thanks for heads-up. flexible ferry booked for us too, but we may need an early start as traffic at dover may be horrendous.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another thanks for the heads up.

Ferry booked but heaven knows what state the roads/check in is going to be.

When was the last time there was a strike with no warning.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The industrial action by staff is reported to be over end-of-year bonus pay. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always thought Eurotunnel had a “no strike” policy in their contracts

Eurostar seem to indicate trains running later, hopefully it’s a wild cat make a point strike and normal (delayed and shite) service will resume tomorrow

Eurotunnel have been reporting delays pretty much every day this year and I do think there’s something nasty under the surface. May look at Irish Ferries for summer now
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From The Daily Telegraph:

Christmas holiday plans have been thrown into chaos for hundreds of people after staff at Eurotunnel unexpectedly went on strike during the peak holiday getaway period.

Channel Tunnel traffic has been suspended, train operator Eurostar said, following the unscheduled industrial action.

The company told travellers planning to use its services today to try to postpone their travel plans if possible.

Eurostar tweeted: “We’re very sorry to hear that you’re caught up in the disruption today, it’s due to unexpected strike action by Eurotunnel staff.

“We would recommend postponing your journey if you can, even if it’s until tomorrow.”

On its travel updates page, Eurostar said train traffic to and from London was currently suspended.

Getlink, the French company formerly known as Eurotunnel which operates the Channel Tunnel, has not yet responded to requests for comment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boris,

Quote:

i suppose its nothing in the scheme of things for peace of mind
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:

I booked fully refundable, as there was nothing less than £165 one way. I guess prices had shot up for me since you checked.
ski holidays
@terrygasson, exactly - I know we can get there and will worry about return later

Twitter users seem to indicate they’re moving all cars stuck on site to P&O, as there is a reciprocal arrangement in place for this sort of thing.
snow report
@Boris, we've been moved like that once before too, but I didn't want to risk it this time. I'll just move the booking for tomorrow to our Summer trip.
snow conditions
The BBC reported it as an 'unexpected strike by French workers'

Anyone spot the oxymoron in there...?

Best of luck to anyone caught up in this sh@t show...
snow report
glad i came back yesterday.......given it was dead yesterday it still took 30 mins to get through french passport control, had it been busy would have been chaos no doubt

sure they just long it out to take the pee
snow conditions
The strike is being carried out by employees of the tunnel's French operator Getlink.

It appears to be indefinite, with no immediate indication when services will resume.

Getlink said French "trade unions rejected a bonus of 1,000 euros ($1,100) end-of-year bonus announced by management and have called for a strike to demand it be tripled."
snow conditions
Hmmm. I'm coming back from France tomorrow (hopefully!). Now expecting long queues at Calais as they catch up, that's if they're back running.
snow conditions
@red 27, i got 50 quid for mine
ski holidays
@red 27, I’m sure this is what they are counting on, but meeting that demand will probably be a hell of a lot cheaper than the compensation that’ll have to be paid out

Also amazed that tunnel can’t be operated from one side only for redundancy purposes Puzzled
snow report
Good luck to all those trying to travel - what a nightmare!

Snowmageddon tomorrow too which will add to the fun.
latest report
I’ve had to book a 6:55 ferry. Going to be an early start!
snow report
@ratechaser, I spot 2 oxymorons Very Happy
snow conditions
Strike over

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-67784644
latest report
Some indication the strike has been resolved
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes - looking better. But gonna be a lot of knock on problems, I imagine.
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
Strike over

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-67784644
Just minutes after I booked a (fully refundable) ferry crossing for next week as a contingency. Will hold the booking until the deadline to cancel it just in case there's more disruption.

Good luck to those travelling tomorrow. Hope it's not too disrupted.
latest report
@pam w, we shall see, they sent a lot to ferries this afternoon and not normally busy over night.

Will report back in morning
snow report
This is unlikely to be important now if the strike is cancelled (for me at least), but if a journey with a tgv leg + Eurostar leg is affected by Eurostar cancellations and they advise something like not travelling, do we reckon that would apply to the tgv leg too? Or would they expect you to make the journey to Paris and be stuck there. eg. Would Eurostar comp you a ticket from moutiers/ bourg or only from Paris? I imagine travel insurance might only do it from Paris.

This is with the above all being booked through Eurostar.
snow conditions
That was more stress than I needed today - smooth travels tomorrow everyone
ski holidays
All quiet this morning @Boris,?
snow report
@pam w, we're almost halfway there. Report from FB that the boss was at the terminal and on a train. No notifications from ET re any delays or disruption so far
snow report
Sounds good. Bon voyage, @Hells Bells. And all.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
All quiet this morning @Boris,?

saw a post elswhere saying he was on the train
snow report
Just arrived in France. Trains are running on time. It took us over an hour from arrival to getting on our train in the passport control queue. Boys not happy they didn’t get breakfast at the terminal but glad to be on our way.
latest report
Just arrived in FRA

Trains running a bit late and it’s busy on the UK side but could have been SO MUCH worse!!!!

Safe travels and Bon Ski to all snowHead
snow report
Yeah very quiet - we were on an earlier train! Heading through France now.

Guess I managed to persuade everyone to take ferry instead Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy