Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EasyJet lost our bags - insurance question

Poster: A snowHead
EasyJet Manchester to Innsbruck 20th December and our two bags of ski gear missed the flight. Next flight is 4 days later. We are only here for 3 days…
Insurance (LV) says we are covered £500 per person.
Anyone have experience of this?
Will they refund us for whatever we buy or start arguing the toss when we submit our claim claim?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@anarski, airline will have some financial responsibility too. Buy what you need.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/damaged-delayed-or-lost-luggage

£75 each.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@James the Last, interesting that bit about only £75 for essentials. I’ve never seen that with other airlines.

Check your travel insurance as well this may cover you for renting skis, clothes, boots etc. Not all policies do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anarski wrote:
EasyJet Manchester to Innsbruck 20th December and our two bags of ski gear missed the flight. Next flight is 4 days later. We are only here for 3 days…
Will they refund us for whatever we buy or start arguing the toss when we submit our claim claim?

As its only delayed, not lost, your expenses over and above the £25 day that easy jet fund, will have to be deemed reasonable - read the policy small print and speak to them. If you can hire ski clothing they are more like to payout on that than you buying a new jacket.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Keep your receipts for the essential items you have bought though. It isn't necessarily an automatic £75 pay out just because your bags were delayed.

Also, if your luggage gets delayed (or worse lost), drop me a PM. I am essentially in charge of Easyjet's secondary tracing (after 5 days of luggage being lost) across Europe. If you fly out of Gatwick with BA or TUI or Norse or anyone in fact , and your luggage goes missing, there's also a good chance it will end up with me if it is found tagless.

I see so many suitcases that for one reason or another don't have a tag on (normally get ripped off once they go down the conveyor belt after check in), so my advise to EVERYONE is to always put something inside your luggage with your contact details on.

And this hopefully goes without saying, but you absolutely have to report it at the airport and ask them to create a PIR for you. If for whatever reason you don't create a PIR, and have left no clues inside your luggage, the person doing the tracing will have absolutely no way of working out where your luggage is, or if they have your luggage, they will have no way of working out who it belongs to.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gloves, goggles and socks all adds up, but fortunately we can rent a ski suit from Intersport for 35EUR / day.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Suits you, sir.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is exactly why I bought Apple Airtags - one in each bag, and I can usually tell fairly quickly whether the bags made it onto the plane, and of course where they are on landing. The airtags need to be within Bluetooth range of someone with an Apple phone or tablet, but that's pretty easy around airports where even the baggage handlers are likely to have one.

The only downside is if the bags have been put inside a freight container they may not report their position until that is opened, so don't go telling the flight crew that they've left your bags behind because that may not be the case ( wink )

Over short ranges (<15 feet or so) they can also be located from your phone, so can also be useful for errant keys, wallets, etc at a push.

When the airline tells you that your bags were loaded in Luton and have definitely arrived in Munich but your phone is telling you they are in Oslo, that could speed up their return by a day or so.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many years ago we flew BA from E. Midlands to Geneva. We all waited quite a while in baggage reclaim for our bags to appear, only to be told eventually that... there were no bags on the plane - none! There was quite a queue at the place for reporting lost bags. We got 'emergency packs' from BA staff at GVA, and our bags turned up at the hotel after a day or so. What we always wondered was - would the pilot have noticed that the plane was a bit light? I can't remember what the aircraft was, I think it was something a bit smaller than a 737, and was operated by Maersk Air.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Airtags are great for telling you where your luggage is, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to get your message across to the right person to retrieve it.

I regularly come across tagless suitcases with airtags in them, but I haven't got a clue who they belong to. Some of them have been in our office for weeks before passengers have managed to contact me.

Every tagless suitcase gets opened (regardless of how good your lock is) to help with the tracing process. If they'd just written their phone number on a piece of paper and left it in the luggage, they would have been contacted the moment the luggage was opened.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mikeycharlton wrote:

Every tagless suitcase gets opened (regardless of how good your lock is) to help with the tracing process. If they'd just written their phone number on a piece of paper and left it in the luggage, they would have been contacted the moment the luggage was opened.

its bonkers people dont put a luggage tag inside as well as outside!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gored wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:

its bonkers people dont put a luggage tag inside as well as outside!

Most people don't think of doing it, but there are people who genuinely believe that leaving your name/address/phone number in there will result in your home being burgled by the baggage handlers whilst you're on holiday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mikeycharlton, I always put a bit of paper in thanks to the sane advice you gave some years ago (I think). Also in my hand luggage in case it needs to go in the hold
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, yeah I remember mentioning it last year I think.

Good call about the hand luggage too. We get a lot of cabin offload bags with manual tags on them, often written with ineligible or incomplete information. I have no way of finding you on the booking system if the staff haven't written your sequence number on the label.

There's also a chance that another passenger might accidentally take your cabin bag off the plane, or that they collect your luggage at baggage reclaim thinking it's their's.

Luggage tagged incorrectly at check on the self-service machines I see at least twice a week. The machine spits out a tag, you don't bother checking that the information is correct, and you've unknowingly send YOUR luggage to a completely different destination under somebody else's name.

You might not be able to report your luggage missing at the destination if the desk is closed. Or they might not create your PIR properly.

There are SOOOO many things that can go wrong and officially about 80 reasons for why luggage can be delayed (lost), and I see them all.
snow conditions
anarski wrote:

Had similar with a short trip a year or so ago - Also insured with LV.

Had everything in bags, including snowboard, all snowboard and normal clothes, bedding (staying in an air BNB) and even some food.

Had a bit of a shopping spree in Decathlon, and then a big supermarket for everything I needed - snowboard clothing (got jacket, trousers, thermals, goggles, gloves etc) and then stuff from a big supermarket, including essentials such as tea bags which were in my luggage. LV paid out all of it (just under £500) with no quibbles.
snow report
mikeycharlton wrote:
Most people don't think of doing it, but there are people who genuinely believe that leaving your name/address/phone number in there will result in your home being burgled by the baggage handlers whilst you're on holiday.

This was my mum when I was a kid. The desk agents would hand out baggage tags to people in the check-in queue, and I'd hear ”just write the hotel on, or we'll be broken in to. Michelle's friend Cathy's sister Sheila was when she went to Tenerife...”

Just so you know that people do read your posts, I've just got back from a long haul trip that involved me taking, in total, twelve planes. Based on your advice, each bag had an external leather tag with both names, both email addresses and four mobile numbers, the same info printed large and slipped under the elastic strap inside, and an AirTag. I took a photo of them all before we left. As it was, they made every connection as scheduled, but I at least felt like I'd done my best to get them back if they did wander off.

As the bags are in fairly identifiable from a distance (you don't see that style or colour often), I could quite often see them being loaded, but it was nice to know when we had an unscheduled overnight stop that the bags were in the airport somewhere. I think the biggest problem is trying to resist the urge to check on the AirTag, because sometimes the last known location is the airport you've just taken off from! (This is normal, they depend on connectivity and can take a little while to update).

I can also say that, despite the info hanging out on my bag tag, we were not burgled while we were out Cool And I'm so over flying.
snow conditions
mikeycharlton wrote:
Good call about the hand luggage too. We get a lot of cabin offload bags with manual tags on them, often written with ineligible or incomplete information. I have no way of finding you on the booking system if the staff haven't written your sequence number on the label.

There's also a chance that another passenger might accidentally take your cabin bag off the plane, or that they collect your luggage at baggage reclaim thinking it's their's.

Luggage tagged incorrectly at check on the self-service machines I see at least twice a week. The machine spits out a tag, you don't bother checking that the information is correct, and you've unknowingly send YOUR luggage to a completely different destination under somebody else's name.

You might not be able to report your luggage missing at the destination if the desk is closed. Or they might not create your PIR properly.

There are SOOOO many things that can go wrong and officially about 80 reasons for why luggage can be delayed (lost), and I see them all.

My cabin bag is apparently the brightest bag in the airport (Cotopaxi, if anyone's interested. 5/5 would recommend.) No-one in their right mind would want to be seen walking around with it. That said, it still had my phone no. in it and an AirTag.

My parents had someone collect their bag of dirty laundry halfway through a US trip many years ago. It was a very generic black suitcase, which got returned the next day when they realised their mistake. Bright, unique luggage helps to avoid this issue though.

The tag issue I experienced recently, and luckily was still awake enough at 11pm to spot it, even when the desk agent wasn't (and it was their machine, not self-service, we were too complicated for that machine!). We had a 4-flight connection, which doesn't fit on one tag so the machine prints two, only the agent didn't notice and put one on each bag. There was a bit of arguing and I had to point out to the manager that one bag was only taking the first two flights and the other didn't know where it was going, before they went back to the printer for the two missing tags rolling eyes
snow report
anarski wrote:
Gloves, goggles and socks all adds up, but fortunately we can rent a ski suit from Intersport for 35EUR / day.

ski holidays
mikeycharlton wrote:
Airtags are great for telling you where your luggage is, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to get your message across to the right person to retrieve it.

I regularly come across tagless suitcases with airtags in them, but I haven't got a clue who they belong to. Some of them have been in our office for weeks before passengers have managed to contact me.

My usual solution is print off a couple of boarding passes after checking in online and stick one (or preferably more) in the case and hand luggage.

That way I also have spares for when I inevitably get to baggage drop etc to realise that somehow between leaving home and getting to the gate the boarding passes have disappeared (into one of the dozen pockets in my ski jacket or backpack only to be seen again when catching a flight a year later...)

I wonder what the betting is that the people complaining that providing an address in Luggage will result in getting broken into post dozens of geotagged photos online allowing people to easily confirm that their current location and home address are a few 100 miles apart with social media search tools...
ski holidays
@chippie,
Thanks for sharing your experience of LV.
We are going shopping.
Sadly Lindsey Vonn’s cheapest pair of YNIQ goggles is €525.
ski holidays
Glad to read that a few people have taken on board some of the advice I gave out last year. Very Happy

Seriously though, you've got to leave some clues inside your luggage. You can't rely on your luggage tag staying on. They get ripped off by the conveyor belts after check-in much more often than you'd think.

Phone number, email address, name, boarding pass, anything that helps you be tracked down. Your address isn't quite so useful (although we will post you a letter), as there is no way of looking people up on the easyjet booking system by postcode or address. And just because you've got your address written down doesn't mean the luggage will be sent to you (although it will help locate your PIR). We need to actually speak to you first.

I have tracked people down in all manner of ways from info that I have found in their luggage. Prescription medicine (which has your name and pharmacist's phone number on), hotel receipts, borrowed library books, work diaries, doctors' letters, reading text messages from smart watches. This list goes on and on.
latest report
Air line will pay out a maximum of £1000 per bag. This is a global set price.

We had a bag missing from Canada last year. Had three adults clothing in, when added up came to around £5k in valuables and that was without taking the wee wee.

Had a very long winded process to claim but ultimately with help from chat GPT our airline paid the first £1k and the insurance paid the rest.
The paper work, and evidence is horrendous but worth it.
Insurance company kept stalling. In the end a letter via chat GPT did the trick.
Good luck.
snow conditions
Update: we are home now - one bag of clothes and presents returned, the other, full of our ski gear, STILL MISSING.
Thanks for all the snowheads advice. Here’s a summary:
@Use a strong external luggage tag and also a sticker on the inside. Name mobile and email - address also is helpful, certainly town and country.
@An Apple AirTag will help you track a missing bag - really wish I had done that.
@All airlines seem to use an agent for bag tracing - You don’t have a lot of control over what’s happening. Just hope and wait. It’s frustrating.
@Your insurance will unlikely be enough. Mine certainly isn’t and I paid extra for ‘premium’. My delayed bag cover was enough to hire ski suits and buy some cheap gloves goggles etc, but if the bag is lost my cover is not enough to replace 4 new ski suits, gloves, goggles and the rest like-for-like - that’s why clear labels and an AirTag would be so useful. You really want to be getting that bag back.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 28-12-23 18:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
When skiing, I always hand carry ski trousers/jacket, helmet (with goggles inside), one set of baselayer/socks. The rest I can hire/buy if gets lost.

Great tips on putting a label inside suitcases. I normally do one outside but was the TUI self service counter and they didn't have tags around. I only had one suitcase to check in but still worried a bit. Will make sure to put those on in future!
ski holidays
puddingdo wrote:
When skiing, I always hand carry ski trousers/jacket, helmet (with goggles inside), one set of baselayer/socks. The rest I can hire/buy if gets lost.

This is great advice. Ski suit, thermals, goggles and gloves in a carry on, one per person - guarantees you’ll be on the slopes whatever happens. Putting all our ski gear in one suitcase - we were asking for it!
ski holidays
anarski wrote:
Update: we are home now - one bag of clothes and presents returned, the other, full of our ski gear, STILL MISSING.
Thanks for all the snowheads advice. Here’s a summary:
@Use a strong external luggage tag and also a sticker on the inside. Name mobile and email - address also is helpful, certainly town and country.
@An Apple AirTag will help you track a missing bag - really wish I had done that.
@All airlines seem to use an agent for bag tracing - You don’t have a lot of control over what’s happening. Just hope and wait. It’s frustrating.
@Your insurance will unlikely be enough. Mine certainly isn’t and I paid extra for ‘premium’. My delayed bag cover was enough to hire ski suits and buy some cheap gloves goggles etc, but if the bag is lost my cover is not enough to replace 4 new ski suits, gloves, goggles and the rest like-for-like - that’s why clear labels and an AirTag would be so useful. You really want to be getting that bag back.

Check your house insurance? it may pick up anything over what the airline and your travel insurance cover if you have "away from home" cover.
latest report
I’ve used Rebound tags for years, fortunately I’ve never needed to test them.

https://reboundtag.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimummk, that's what we did when our campervan was broken into. Claimed for belongings on house insurance as that had highest level of cover but informed them of our travel policy. No idea if they recouped it or not.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy