Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self catering in Montgenevre

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, we're going to Monty for NYs week and we're self catering in an apartment which is central to the main village. The last time we we stayed here we were half board in a hotel so didn't really pay much attention to the shops and restaurants. Question is is how well stocked are the local supermarkets? Are they adequate to make simple meals, spag bol etc? Do any of them do take away food such as cooked chicken, pizza etc? We won't have a car so can't really drive to bigger place for a big shop. Also, any restaurant recommendations? TIA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There’s plenty of restaurants all over the place, so that’s the first box ticked. There’s two or three shops that are more than adequately stocked for self catering too. I did two weeks last year self catering and it was fine.

From memory, the closest shop to the centre was the SPAR. There is a takeaway chicken place up on Rue de l’Obelisque, but annoyingly they insist on a lunchtime pick up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, and there is a pizza place on the main road that does take away pizzas only. Reasonably priced too IIRC
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Timmycb5, Thanks for the info, good to know that we'll manage with the shops in Monty. Was there any restaurants which particularly stood out?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a number of set meals for a weeks self catering which I've used over the years for skiing, camping and the motorhoming, I take a lot of the basics with me when we go skiing as we take hold luggage so weight isn't an issue, then I just have to buy a few things in resort

The meals are Spag Bol, Paella, Carbonara, Curry, Sausage Casserole, Fajitas & Chinese - plus usually plan a takeway pizza and a meal out

I take schwarz mixes for most of the meals and I take the carbs because I don't want to be buying large amounts at resort prices so I measure them out in advance - risotto rice, ordinary rice, pasta, spaghetti, wraps, cooking oil and I take a sharp knife!

I then have a resort/supermarket shopping list for meat and veg - have never not been able to make most of the list above even in the smallest resort. Prawns for the paella is the one I wouldn't bet on.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skimom, Were you ever in the army? wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No - but I have a spreadsheet for everything cos I have a mind like a seive (adhd) so it has a tab for each holiday type - ski, camping, sailing, hotel etc. and then by mode of transport (fly/drive) , duration and time of year lol!

It is the result of 25 yrs + of holidays where I've mainly self-catered and over time I put things on or take them off - been a godsend since the year we went camping and hubby didn't bring the gas canister (cos it was empty he forgot you had to swap them) and I didn't remember the bbq - we had a gas stove and coals lol!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
surferrosa wrote:
@Timmycb5, Thanks for the info, good to know that we'll manage with the shops in Monty. Was there any restaurants which particularly stood out?

Yes, a couple. We are at La Houx on our first night. The steak was absolutely amazing. Word of warning, the steak comes how the chef thinks it should be eaten, and not how you do Laughing

The other was Le Refuge, which is closer to where you’ll be staying.

Up on the Mountain, La (or is it le?) Terraces on the south facing slopes is well worth a stop late afternoon for a pint (if it’s sunny). Stunning up there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surferrosa wrote:
Hi all, we're going to Monty for NYs week and we're self catering in an apartment which is central to the main village. The last time we we stayed here we were half board in a hotel so didn't really pay much attention to the shops and restaurants. Question is is how well stocked are the local supermarkets? Are they adequate to make simple meals, spag bol etc? Do any of them do take away food such as cooked chicken, pizza etc? We won't have a car so can't really drive to bigger place for a big shop. Also, any restaurant recommendations? TIA

Ya the Spar and Sherpa are pretty small but you'll get most of what you need. We also bring some of the essentials with us as we check a bag.
We rented from Go-Montgenevre last year and they run a shared minibus to Briancon on Monday evenings for a supermarket run. We didn't other with it last year but I think we will when we go back this year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
These recommendations are great We will be staying near Rue des Ecoles in self catering. Would like to find a rotisserie chicken style place for take away nearby Also if it sold sauté potatoes or frites would be perfect.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy