Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I am thinking of getting REAR ENTRY boots? Thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
@Suburbandad, I haven’t read the whole thread so similar might have been said previously; my husband had huge calves too, from running and cycling, and found most ski boots tortuous. An instructor at Chill Factore suggested rear entry boots and they were a game changer, in OH case, because they were ‘shorter’ than other ski boots and sat just below said enormous calves. From memory, they were Salomon.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go see a boot fitter, HF's are great if you've got fairly high volume feet but not for everyone.
3 piece boots might also be an option but again fit is so important you can't ignore it, so go see a fitter and let them know your issues.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just bought Nordica HF110 - waiting for them to arrive
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hang11 wrote:
I think a lot of skiers secretly want to have a go at rear entry.

I tried this with the wife on a couple of ski holidays (must have been the altitude / schnapps) - suffice to say access was incredibly difficult so had to pull out . . . . . . .(apols the ape in me couldn't resist) rolling eyes Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Suburbandad, just seen this thread. My wife has struggled for years with boots despite getting them fitted by local expert in Glasgow. She has very high instep and relatively broad feet. Last year she took my advice and got the Nordica rear entry boots. Total game changer for her and now enjoying skiing again. Hopefully they work out good for you too
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a pair of those Salomon SX70s in the 1980s. Super easy to take off, put on, but for some reason the technology never advanced.

I think it's because they had a reputation of being soft, whilst "real" skiers used only the the stiffest top-entry boots.

But I think if rear-entry had been developed it would have caught on. (and yes, it's hard to resist puns about "rear entry" anything")
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Suburbandad wrote:
Hello!!! I have been a skier my entire life. I am 49. The last 15 years or so what keeps me from wanting to go skiing is the dreaded experience of putting on my ski boots. It makes me just not want to go. Once they are on, they are for the most part ok, but I have enormous calves which add to this entire nightmare. I remember when I was young just slipping into a pair of rear entry boots. As I get older, I will only ski on groomers. I am just a cruiser and will do the blues all day long. I am thinking about just getting a pair of these boots. I just want easy……since I am just an intermediate groomer kind of guy it should be fine. I don’t want to lose my love for this sport because of my boots. It kept me off the trails yesterday with my kids. Thoughts ????????

https://www.levelninesports.com/product/alpina-r4-0-rear-entry-ski-boots-2023

First off, welcome to Snowheads.

Second, ignore Whitegold. He's one of our village idiots.

And now onto your issues. Boot fitting is a perennial discussion/subject on here. You are certainly not alone in having boot problems. I am surprised nobody has mentioned it yet. But first thing to do is to go to a good recommended boot fitter. If you tell us the area where you live we can provide recommendations. A good boot fitter will do a full assessment and be able to advise of the way to go - including the possibility of rear entry boots.

I don't think it's particularly relevant that you will piste cruising. And it could be that if you get a better fitting bear of boots you suddenly feel better about your skiing.

The advice/videos about putting on and taking off ski boots is a good one. It's surprising how many have not been told this and how much it can help. A good boot fitter can also walk you through this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I think it's because they had a reputation of being soft, whilst "real" skiers used only the the stiffest top-entry boots.

But I think if rear-entry had been developed it would have caught on. (and yes, it's hard to resist puns about "rear entry" anything")

I don't think it was a question of soft vs stiff, it was about the precicion of fit that you could achieve. Adjusting the ankle and fore foot fit was done with shaped plates inside the shell that were loosened or tightened round you foot with cables that had dials of some sort on the outside of the boot. So if you needed to tighten them up you ended up with dead space in the boot giving the potential for movement. 4 clip boots adjust the whole shell, so the boot is a snug fit round your foot/leg, giving better control.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@karin, precisely.

Although I spent a season and a bit in SX92s which worked pretty well.

The Nordica HFs have proper liners and have been well developed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely go for it ... comfort is absolute priority.
I skied in Salomon Sx90Equipes in 80s ? and then in Nordica rear entry boots in I think 90s ... the Nordicas were most comfortable boots I had and really easy to get on and off. after several years the Nordica plastic simply disintegrated with plastic shards flying off in Courchevel.
Then progressed to Garmont Endorphin which although really heavy were superbly comfortable after a lot of tweaks and now on Scarpa Maestrale RS which again are really comfortable after tweaking.
Main issue with the Scarpas is getting them on in morning as they are incredibly tight ... I use a 30cm length of narrow guttering as a large shoe horn which works great ... used to use it with putting the liner on foot first and inserting the whole liner and foot into the boot ... now tend to just use it with foot going into boot/liner combined - works a treat.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was lead to believe that they offer less support if skiing hard as the clips are not strong enough for advanced or good intermediate skiers, but for beginners etc. They are ok
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@yorkshirelad, I am not finding that plausible!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, I had SX72's, acquired from a Salomon test pool. They seemed fine, until a french ski instructor told us we'd all ski better if we weren't skiing in flower pots!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Suburbandad, K2 make a 3 piece ski boot which is far easier to get on than the standard ski boot.

Take a look at these: https://k2snow.com/en-se/c/ski-boots/3-piece-ski-boots/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or don't as I see you have bought the Nordica...
ski holidays
Got my HF 110's just before last season started and absolutely love them. Cork liners are very good, and with a custom foot bed, they are ideal. On and off in seconds!

I should add that I am happy just cruising blues/reds, so no need for a race fit!
latest report
@SHAP, exactly the skier profile they’re being marketed to.
ski holidays
Hf's are the way forward my wife has a pair as old ankle injuries made getting boots on and off difficult. However, the HF's needed a trip to Bicester to Solutions 4 feet to get Colin to reduce the volume and straighten one of the clips that bent rather easily. Apparently Nordca are aware and developing a better clip and a lower volume clog is on the way.
https://www.nordica.com/global/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf
https://www.solutions4feet.com/catalogue/skiing/performance---recreational-ski-boots/nordica-hf-110

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 19-12-23 16:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@boredsurfin, a chum, with fused ankles, uses them for touring Shocked
snow conditions
@under a new name, they are good boots apart from the clip lever made from old Kit Kat silver foil! Not sure about touring then 'tho!
latest report
@boredsurfin, seem to be lasting. Not the lightest of rigs Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Saw quite a few Nordica HF at the bus stops in Val Gardena last year.
snow report
Jeeze......... Do whatever you like to be happy. To make the experience pleasant. That's all that matters.
latest report
@Death2PC, I am not quite sure you are getting the hang of the SHs mentality Twisted Evil
snow report
@under a new name, Laughing
latest report
@under a new name, from the Web site theskilesson.com.... rear entry did not offer the same support !!
The Fall of Rear Entry Ski Boots

While rear entry ski boots enjoyed a lot of success in the 70s and 80s, they eventually fell out of favor for several reasons. For one, the boots lacked the stiffness and support that serious skiers needed for high-performance skiing. Additionally, the boots were difficult to adjust for different foot shapes, which meant they were not a great option for skiers with unique feet. Finally, as skiing became more popular, manufacturers began to focus on creating ski boots that were more sleek and fashionable, which made rear entry boots seem outdated.

What Happened to Rear Entry Ski Boots?

So, what happened to rear entry ski boots? Simply put, they were a victim of their own success. While the boots were incredibly popular in their heyday, they eventually became a relic of a bygone era. Today, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a skier wearing rear entry boots, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t missed. Many skiers still long for the convenience and comfort of their old rear entry boots, and some manufacturers are even working to bring the design back into the mainstream. Only time will tell if the rear entry ski boot will once again become the hottest thing on the slopes.

The Pros and Cons of Traditional Ski Boots

Traditional ski boots have been the go-to for decades, but are they the best choice for you? Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of using traditional ski boots.

Pros:

Support and Control

Traditional ski boots are known for providing excellent support and control for the skier. They are designed to be stiff and tight, allowing the skier to maintain better control over their skis. This can be especially important for advanced skiers who are tackling steeper slopes and more challenging terrain.
latest report
Hi, haven’t been here for a while-hope you’re all good. My first RE boots were Salomon SX 90, then 91 E and 92. They were magnificent. By the early 90s the market changed a lot and four clippers seemed set forever. I like what Nordica are doing presently. I suspect for most of us RE boots in their top of the range guise would be adequate. From memory, superior Dachstein models in the late 80s had 11 separate controls to dial in. I remember seeing Plake, Schmidt and Hattrup seeming to cope quite well in Chamonix and to top it off , even the magnificent Patrick Vallencant made some of the most serious descents in history in RE boots. So yes, I guess they’d be ok. Happy skiing.
snow report
@yorkshirelad, just repeats of common myths. Probably by folks who weren't even born then.

The SX92 gave plenty of support but there was a lack of precision in the design as alluded to above. On the bright side, that did reduce the likelihood of amputation due to "Lange toe" (accentuated frostbite courtesy of reduced blood supply).

As two annecdotes, Marc Girardelli (five-time World Cup overall champion who excelled in all five alpine disciplines) spent most of his unremarkable (wait, what?) career in SX90s (sometimes painted to match his then sponsors boots, and swiftly switched for podium shots)

and I had a uni mate, ex-olympian, who raced in some weird Nordicas cos he didn't like stiff race boots for downhills Shocked

I'm not quite sure why I'm defending them as modern front entry devices are very good, way more precise that rear entry, and for any many skiers the best, but hey, it's snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, you'd define anything lol.

I bet you could even defend the Rwanda policy if you tried Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

As two annecdotes, Marc Girardelli (five-time World Cup overall champion who excelled in all five alpine disciplines) spent most of his unremarkable (wait, what?) career in SX90s (sometimes painted to match his then sponsors boots, and swiftly switched for podium shots)

Laughing
ski holidays
Good to hear that rear entry boots are still being made and developed. It seems that interest in them and demand for some of their advantages over top entry boots is still around.
snow report
@Layne, my (adj.) definitional (noun) ability is (adj.) legendary
snow report
hang11 wrote:
I think a lot of skiers secretly want to have a go at rear entry.

wink wink
ski holidays
I started on Raichle Flexons in the 80s, now have a pair of Full Tilts and a pair of K2 FL3X. Easiest boot to get on and off. Good for anyone with a high instep as well. I avoided the rear entry boots first time around and tried the odd pair of 4 clip boots from Atomic and Lange recently and yes, I can understand how hard they can be to get on and off!
ski holidays
I'm another for whom the Nordica HFs are a game changer. I've had 4 previous pairs of boots and they were all super-painful and cold. I was often hobbling for hours after taking them off. The 3rd pair were a custom fitting by one of the names frequently mentioned in this forum. When those did not help I tried a Daleboot, which are custom-made by the manufacturer.

After the Dales were also no help I had pretty much given up and resigned myself to there being no solution. But I figured that if there was any solution, it would be an entirely different design of boot, so I splashed another fortune on some custom fitted Nordica HFs. They are a huge improvement on all my other pairs.

They aren't perfect, as I do touch the front of the boot with my big toes, particularly if I'm leaning back, but it is a good reminder to get my stance right. And I had similar issues with the Dales, including a black toenail. Toenails survived a week in Lech with the Nordicas, so I'll live with the need to be careful about this.

I don't notice a significant performance penalty, but I'm in my 60s and largely cruising groomers.

A bonus is how easy they are to put on, take off and walk in. That isn't the main benefit, but it does put a smile on my face.
latest report
@Suburbandad, try Dalbello Panterra. Three piece shell like Fulltilt (now K2).

Easy on. in fact....

Dalbello Panterra
https://dalbelloboots.com/en-gb/p/panterra-100-gw-ms-2024

Full Tilt
https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-boots-c4/ski-boots-c14/recreational-boots-c114/full-tilt-plush-90-womens-ski-boot-2022-yellow-p21235/s94354?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=full-tilt-plush-90-womens-ski-boot-yellow-black-colour-yellow-black-colour-yellow-black-size-27-5-85641-10956489&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3rrkgaaDhAMVFZVQBh2s-AyoEAQYAyABEgKPXfD_BwE.

K2
https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/method-pro-K2__01189.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIneyY66WDhAMVZ6qDBx0m4g6KEAQYAyABEgLekPD_BwEGood boots.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

At 49 these will be the last pair of boots i buy so I am not worried about budget!!

Boots do last a fair bit of time, but the longest I ever got a pair of boots to last for was 18 years with most only lasting 10.

18 YEARS! Didn't they stink bruv?

Dude at 49 you have one year left before you will not be allowed to learn to snowboard. Go for it stop pfaffing / faffing with ski boots rear entry or not and learn to love again !!
latest report
Thoughts? How about just buying some and then write a review?
latest report
Quote:

18 YEARS! Didn't they stink bruv?

Not a problem since I have started stuffing my boots with bamboo charcoal bags (between use you understand)! Amazing stuff. You would not have wanted to be in the same room as my boots before I found out about this...
ski holidays
Could Tony Stark be approached for a design? You know, just step on the slightly thick insole shape on the floor, press a button, and Robert's yer father's brother! Very Happy I'd pay 200E for a pair of those.

i'd buy the Nordicas tomorrow if they were 200 euros, frankly. Why can we not have fixed snowboard bindings and boarder boot? Heaven.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 31-01-24 19:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy