Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dad and daughter last minute ski break?

Poster: A snowHead
Suddenly realised that I could do a Dad and daughter last minute ski break over the Xmas period.

Maybe 3 nights?

How tricky is this going to be on my own?

Currently thinking Mayrhofen with Sunweb. Any other suggestion?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geomickb wrote:

How tricky is this going to be on my own?

I thought you were going with your daughter?! Puzzled

Or do you mean a DIY as opposed to package holiday?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geomickb wrote:

Currently thinking Mayrhofen with Sunweb.

I don't think they include flights, just accommodation and liftpass.

Have you found flights to match? And transfers from airport to resort? Or car rental?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@geomickb, you said you were looking for a short break over the Xmas period, I don't know the exact dates you were looking at but fellow snowHead Flangesax's guesthouse in Radstadt (Ski Amade region) is currently showing several rooms available for 3 days from 23rd December i.e leaving on the morning of 26th December. https://www.austrian-adventures.com/

I've stayed there over Xmas and you'll certainly get a warm welcome. If you're able to book the half board option then the Xmas evening meal there is excellent!

Several airlines fly into Salzburg, and from there you can either take a train from Salzburg Hauptbahnhof to Radstadt, Flangesax (Ben) can usually arrange collection from Radstadt station, or you can get a taxi directly from the airport to Radstadt with Taxi Huber who offer a good value service.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will need to be 26th at earliest
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It'll be expensive (probably ruinously expensive) and crowded. Is there no chance of a break a bit later in the season, when the chances of a good few days will be so much better?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah I know Sad.

Normally hate Christmas and we are forced to have time off and the weather is awful. Skiing sounds better than moping round at home.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It does! Maybe drive down, stay somewhere like the Ibis Budget in Sallanches, and drive to the slopes!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geomickb, flights, carhire/transfer, hotel booking - all very easy to sort out yourself for 2 people.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any ideas for resort? Lots of easy routes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flaine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You might struggle to get a few days accommodation - which is why I suggested the Ibis budget, within easy reach of a range of resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I looked into a similar thing with a mate but was looking for mid Jan. He couldn't go in the end but the cheapest option I found (and I'm tight) was:
Fly to Turin for about 60 quid plus luggage
Rent car for 4 days for 50 quid and stock up at supermarket on way.
Drive 90 mins to Sauze D'Oulx
4 nights in pretty much ski in/out on Airbnb for 300 quid (150 each)
3 day lift pass for 135 euros.

Sure you could find something similar. That resort was the best combo of short transfer / easy to find flights / amount of pistes / cheap ski pass. I spent a day trying to work out the best way to do it (for us), that might save you the time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
B. wrote:
I looked into a similar thing with a mate but was looking for mid Jan. He couldn't go in the end but the cheapest option I found (and I'm tight) was:
Fly to Turin for about 60 quid plus luggage
Rent car for 4 days for 50 quid and stock up at supermarket on way.
Drive 90 mins to Sauze D'Oulx
4 nights in pretty much ski in/out on Airbnb for 300 quid (150 each)
3 day lift pass for 135 euros.

Sure you could find something similar. That resort was the best combo of short transfer / easy to find flights / amount of pistes / cheap ski pass. I spent a day trying to work out the best way to do it (for us), that might save you the time.

Italy often works for a budget trip with odd dates in non peak weeks...cheap plentiful flights, car hire and reasonable accommodation, but New Year weekend will be crazy busy everywhere.

It seems that everyone in Italy who skis wants to have a Settimana Bianca (literally 'white week', in other words a ski break) at Capodanno (New Year), Italians just love to do everything together at the same time. Like it would be no fun unless all your friends & family were there! Laughing

Same in Summer, they have Ferragosto, so for a few weeks in August, all the cities empty out and everyone is at the beach, by a lake or in the mountains.
ski holidays
This plan is still forming. Looking like I'm just going to fly with Sunweb (including lift passes and transfer.). Probably go on Jan 2. Maybe Austria.

Just need to go the the dry ski slope and check that my knee will hold up.

It's going to cost a fortune but I don't care. Bit concerned about getting my daughter into lessons for a few days but will contact a few lesson providers before I book.
snow report
Soubds like you're already pretty much set, but mI'd echo Alastair's suggestion of Haus Susanne, fantastic people to stay with and remarkably welcoming.

Also might not be as busy as some suggest, it tends to be the new year week that ramps up. We went to Ski Amade a few years back and found that the rest of the week before Christmas was actually pretty quiet.
ski holidays
No availability for the dates I want to go.
I can do Dec 26,7,8,9 or Jan 2,3,4,5.
snow conditions
geomickb wrote:
No availability for the dates I want to go.
I can do Dec 26,7,8,9 or Jan 2,3,4,5.

You have left it really late for what is a peak period, though the Jan dates are slipping outside of the New Year, a lot of people in the UK need to be back before then.

There are Easyjet flights from Luton into Geneva and Gatwick to Innsbruck for Jan 2-5 for around £200 plus baggage. Ryanair are doing Stansted to Venice for around £130 plus baggage.

If you can find a last minute package it might be better, though they tend to be 7nt duration.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 19-12-23 9:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Just to illustrate how busy that period is, these are the expected visitor numbers per week through the season:

https://cdn.wintersport.nl/media/content/2023/02/07/Vakantiedrukte_wintersport_2023-2024.jpg?width=920

Doesn't mean you won't find something though snowHead
snow report
I know, I've left it far too late. That graphic is really useful. Last time we skied it was the Feb half-term so I guess it will be similar.

I'm going to start seriously looking tonight.
snow conditions
Was in Davos today.
Empty pistes.
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Soubds like you're already pretty much set, but mI'd echo Alastair's suggestion of Haus Susanne, fantastic people to stay with and remarkably welcoming.

Also might not be as busy as some suggest, it tends to be the new year week that ramps up. We went to Ski Amade a few years back and found that the rest of the week before Christmas was actually pretty quiet.

It’s exactly the same now, we’re in Schladming at the moment, often skiing on pistes to myself. Mainly Czechs and Slovaks here.

Austrian schools I think must always break up the final Friday just before Xmas?
snow report
Snow&skifan wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

It’s exactly the same now, we’re in Schladming at the moment, often skiing on pistes to myself. Mainly Czechs and Slovaks here.

Austrian schools I think must always break up the final Friday just before Xmas?

Yeah, not surprising at all, looking at the difference in the Alps visitor number bar chart in the weeks leading up to Xmas compared to Xmas week 23rd onwards and New Year week Shocked

https://cdn.wintersport.nl/media/content/2023/02/07/Vakantiedrukte_wintersport_2023-2024.jpg?width=920

The Germans (in yellow on the chart) have a major impact in Austria, the French (green) in France. The Brits (pale green) are a tiny insignificant sliver in the whole scheme of things, it seems! snowHead
snow report
It is done. Off to Bardonecchia on NYE. Doesn't look like there is much snow and I had to sell a kidney. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.
snow report
some snow is better than no snow!
ski holidays
Well done. Hope you have a great time. Come back and tell us how it went.
snow report
Cheers, hope it goes better than my first ski on Playgrass last night!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@geomickb, What's the snow like?

We are there at the end of the week.

Cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy